• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dealing with chordpro format
Question 
Just picked up the latest release and diving into chordpro format.

I'm finding the workflow pretty tedious:
edit on mac
-> save to Google Drive
-> import into MS
-> verify that it looks like I expect
-> repeat above if it doesn't.

So I'm wondering if anyone has found desktop app that does a decent enough job at rendering a chordpro file similar to how MS will once it's been imported?
Samsung Note 10.1 GT-N8013ZW / iPad Pro / AirTurn BT-105 / AirTurn BT200S-4
I installed "jota" text editor on the tablet and edit ChordPro files on the tablet. As soon as you know how to find the brackets on the onscreen keyboard (depends on the manufacturer of your tablet) that works pretty well
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

A while ago I made a test with different tags, fonts, sizes etc. for reference the printed out the screenshot of it in the app. The common tags I saved into a template text file ready to paste the song. I simply copy what I need as I format, then delete anything unneeded when finished.

Perhaps the problem is tab formatting (MS looks like it does not do grids) which I do not use.
(04-22-2015, 06:43 AM)bumblebee Wrote: A while ago I made a test with different tags, fonts, sizes etc. for reference the printed out the screenshot of it in the app. The common tags I saved into a template text file ready to paste the song. I simply copy what I need as I format, then delete anything unneeded when finished.

Good idea. I've been thinking I need to do something along the lines of this.
Samsung Note 10.1 GT-N8013ZW / iPad Pro / AirTurn BT-105 / AirTurn BT200S-4
Also be aware of the display settings when you do your tests. They can be applied to different songs (Apply to..., Set as Default etc.)
I have had to Reset a few times because it got complicated.

Actually currently, I have hardly embedded anything in the ChordPro files (verse, chorus etc. with no textsize or font complications) which keeps it very simple, then control from the display settings for consistency. I'm still playing around with it all but must get to converting the txt files to ChordPro.
The other problem is sizing the fonts and page turns, whereas if it had a continuous vertical page I would not have to think about it, but it is not how MS Pro works.
bumblebee - can you not just use the vertical display mode? Granted there is a small separator between pages, but that probably wouldn't get in the way too much. If it would be useful to control page margins so that you could make the pages almost blend together, I can certainly add that as an enhancement.
Yes. I think it is global? I like notation as single page; lyrics as vertical scrolling (but really it is no real problem.)
I'm thinking of changing the display mode and page scaling so that you can set a default display mode and page scaling, but override the display mode and page scaling per song (or page if necessary for page scaling). This would let you use vertical scrolling for lyrics but keep the single page for everything else.
This sounds good. However hopefully it makes sense for you to do this and others need it too.
would you be able to set this on batch import? If I imported lyrics, I could make certain settings so they are all set for this?
Otherwise, I think someone also suggested this in another post, bulk song select, then change song settings for all of them. I don't think you can do this currently although have wanted to use it many times Smile
(04-21-2015, 07:40 AM)DTownSMR Wrote: Just picked up the latest release and diving into chordpro format.

I'm finding the workflow pretty tedious:
      edit on mac
      -> save to Google Drive
      -> import into MS
      -> verify that it looks like I expect
      -> repeat above if it doesn't.

So I'm wondering if anyone has found desktop app that does a decent enough job at rendering a chordpro file similar to how MS will once it's been imported?

I've been using MobileSheets for years with PDFs.
So I'm also new to the ChordPro format and was experiencing the same issues trying to get my formatting correct, before importing into MSPro.
After much searching and trial and error testing apps. The best one I have found is ChordSmith http://www.statistics101.net/chordsmith/ it allows you to look at the file in "ChordPro" format or convert it "From ChordPro" to see what it will look like in MSPro...
It took a lot of the guess work out of pre-proofing before importing into MSPro. Saving me a lot of time.

I hope this helps.

Rick