• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transposing and keys
1) I'll have to think through the ramifications of the changes, along with what information I will need to store, and how to propogate that information through my current architecture.

2) I'll see if can change the logic so that if the detected number of steps for the transpose is 0, it won't change any of the chords. I thought I was already doing this, but if it's changing the chords when C is the starting key and C is the transposed key, then there is obviously a problem.

3) And what do you do if the detected starting key is not what you want? I don't re-read that "key" tag in the file every time I open it. If the suggestion is that I start doing this, then sure, that solves the case for when the key directive is available, but what about in the cases where it is not? Also, what do I do with text files? Many people are still using those instead of chord pro files. If I don't provide a way to change the starting key, that means that I have to change my logic to recalculate the starting key every time the file is read. This is not a huge deal, but it does mean that if someone changes the text file settings for how to detect the starting key, all of their files could suddenly be transposed differently the next time they open them. It also means that if you have one file whose starting key doesn't play nicely with the method you have selected for "Detect Key By", you have no control over how to change it. With chord pro files, you could then add the key preprocessor directive, but with text files, your only option would be to modify the file itself. That may also not even work if the key detection method is set to "Chord Progression", as it will consider every chord in the file. Of course, all of this doesn't apply if the transposing is done with intervals instead of keys. So one option would be to default to transposing by intervals, but when transposing by key, it's up to the user to ensure that the starting key will be detected properly. I could also add supporting for looking for a "key:" field in text files so that even text file users would have a way of controlling the starting key if required.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
Transposing and keys - by sciurius - 01-28-2017, 06:23 AM
RE: Transposing and keys - by itsme - 02-04-2017, 03:47 AM
RE: Transposing and keys - by itsme - 02-04-2017, 03:48 AM
RE: Transposing and keys - by Zubersoft - 02-04-2017, 04:50 AM
RE: Transposing and keys - by itsme - 02-10-2017, 05:17 PM
RE: Transposing and keys - by itsme - 02-10-2017, 06:13 PM
RE: Transposing and keys - by itsme - 02-10-2017, 06:49 PM