• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to organize large number of songs
I have >1,300 songs on my tablets, some of which are vocal scores > 200 pages (I am a pianist and also play chamber music and accompany choruses). I organize using genre and title. I currently have 10 genres: ChamberMusic, Christmas, Classical, Gilbert&Sullivan, SATB, Showtunes&Pop, Working, and three more, one for each organization I play with. As I have 2 tablets (for backup), I do all organization and annotations on my PC, with a folder for each genre. A song can be in multiple genres, and some songs in SATB and Classical are also in one of the organization genres. I keep each organization's genre pared down to the concert we are preparing, so for rehearsals I just select the genre and can easily bring up the piece as the conductor chooses them. I arrange for the genre to have songs in concert order, often by putting the numerical order at the front of each title; for orchestra concerts, if I'm tacet I create a 1-page PDF saying so, and put it into the genre, in concert order.

One group is preparing the Brahms "Ein deutsches Requiem". I gave each movement that title followed by its Roman numeral, so there are currently 7 songs in that organization's genre. For rehearsals I can jump around easily as the conductor chooses what to work on. I won't accompany the concert (I'll sing from a paper score), but I could just "Load All" if I did (and will do so when we are ready to run the entire concert).

Practicing on my own, I have three modes: a) select an organization's genre and practice its current pieces; b) select Working and practice my solo repertoire; c) select Songs and work on sight reading.

This has worked very well for me. YMMV.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to organize large number of songs - by tjrob - 04-23-2018, 02:38 AM