• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multi-page parts
I'm loving this thing - it's an answer to all my prayers. As I dig deeper into it, I find little bits that I wonder about and this is one of them.

If I have "Always show title bar" option enabled, I can see how many pages there are (1/x). If it isn't enabled, there is no indication of any additional pages.

When I am in a multi-page file, the 'blue line' only flashes briefly as I change to another page. Surely, this line would be better if it was permanently displayed, thus indicating there were more pages to be seen? Then it wouldn't matter if the title bar option was selected or not.

Another thing: I have a large number of charts that I have separated out, using the 'custom' field. If I display all my charts and then do a sort on that custom field, I see all the charts concerned. If I then select one and then hit the 'back' button, I see all the charts, not just those I selected. I realise I can achieve what I want with the 'collections' feature, but I was reserving that for something else.

Neither of these are a big deal and we all want this software to address our own specific wants - and it can't be all things to all men.

Lastly - and this is not any sort of critique - I'm curious to know just how many charts I can put on this software, before it starts to get sluggish? At the moment, I have loaded a little under 1,000 PDF's and it still finds anything a damn sight quicker than anyone else can find a bit of paper. I would think my final count is going to be around the 2,500 mark - is this going to slow it down by a big margin and if so, what would be gained by converting to image files?
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Graeme,

The point of the blue lines was to show some kind of transition between pages. In v5.0.0, there will be multiple animation options, such as a page slide, flip, or the current instant way. It would definitely be good to think about a nice way of having an indicator that there are more pages. I will think on this some. I also think maybe having an option for a minimalistic title bar that is mostly transparent might be a good thing. Then it could be left up without drawing attention. Thoughts?

The resetting of the search field was something that was requested. It's always a balance between convenience (the search fields resetting appropriately when you change categories or load a song), versus having them appropriately set when you are just returning to your last section.

You should be able to put any number of charts on the software without much slowdown. The database ensures that I can handle huge amounts of data without much impact. Obviously scrolling through huge lists on the library screen might be slower. One of these days I'll try putting like 10000 songs on my tablet and see how it goes... I don't think there is any reason to go to image files unless you are having slowdown while loading/viewing songs. The number of files you have on the device has no impact on this.

Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm not sure that I follow the 'blue line' thing. When you change a page, the line only flashes briefly - I think I'm more likely to notice the part has changed, than the line flashing Smile - and I really wonder what use it is? My idea was simply to have the line present if there was another page to follow (or go back to, of course) that way the title bar becomes obsolete for most of the time. A transparent title bar is another good approach to a solution.

Quite honestly, it doesn't make much difference to me - a 13" tablet has enough real estate to keep the title bar on permanently, but I can see how this could be a disadvantage for most users who are probably using 10" or less screens.

For me, the search field resetting is a bit of a nuisance, but no more than that and I can live with it if necessary. I can see the current mode might well suit other users. Perhaps there could be an option to choose?

Actually, to avoid this, I tried using the 'collection' feature today, but I wasn't happy about it at all. It's most likely finger problems at this end and I need to play around some, before making any comments.

I'm up to some 1,500 charts now - including a number of multi-page ones. I have noticed that it is now taking longer for the tablet and the computer to talk to one another - there's obviously a fair amount of data flying back and forth. When I built a 'collection' of some 250 charts, it took an age to rebuild the database, etc. Likewise a backup to the computer was also pretty slow.

That said, once all the stuff is in there, searching for any one of them is pretty quick and still beats paper-based systems by a mile - not to mention the space and weight savings! Since getting stuff into the database is a job that's done at home, without any pressure, I can live with any slow down. I'll just pour myself another whisky and contemplate my navel for a while.

All-in-all, you have produced a great bit of software, which is perfectly usable as it stands. I'm really a very happy chappie.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Hi Mike

Had a bit of time to play with the 'collection' feature today - and it's nothing like I had hoped it would be.

We have already discussed the fact that, I separate out certain parts by using the 'custom' field and the resetting of the search when returning from a chart viewed from the resultant list.

I find the 'collection' feature is no better (at least, not for me). I transferred a set of charts, previously identified by the 'other' field, into a collection. When I select 'collections', I see the charts concerned - all OK so far. However, to actually display a chart requires a touch and hold, followed by a menu for selection, deleting, etc.

In itself, that's bad enough - I would really like to go straight to the selected chart - but worse was to come. When I return from that chart, I'm not taken back to the collection, but to the complete list of parts I have (and that's a *lot*). This is, in effect, no different to the original problem (using the 'other' function to separate a particular set of charts). In fact, it's marginally worse, as it requires more tapping to display the chart from the collection menu.

I understand you're a busy man, but is there any chance that something can be done about this?

PS: Despite any niggles I might have, I'm still a huge fan of what you have achieved so far Big Grin .
Graeme

Some of my music here
It sounds like you're trying to load songs from the collections editor rather than the 'Songs' list. From the songs list you can select the collection you want to view from the filters menu, which shows all of the songs in that collection. Then you can just single tap to load a song, and when you go 'back' from the chart you will be shown the songs list again, still filtered to the selected collection.

Chris
Thank you Chris - I rather think you may be right.

It's 3:30 am here and I'm just about to hit the sack, but I'll follow up on your post tomorrow and see how it goes.

Hahaha - I know it's late, but I had to try it. Chris, you're dead right, I was working from the wrong window Angry .

I think my brain has been fried by scanning some 1,500 charts into this thing.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Haha no problem, I know how much of a pain scanning all the charts in can be!