• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Information for beta testing library sync feature
(06-04-2018, 05:19 AM)Zuberman Wrote: BRX,

>Are you saying you want a "Skip All" or "use this action for all further conflicts" kind of thing in the merge dialog? 

Yes. Because otherwise I'm stuck with choice for the whole sync even if decided after checking the first ones to skip the rest or just merge the server data and so on.

>I could certain add a skip all option, but then that's no different than using the option to only sync new songs and groups.

True. But again, if you have lots of data to merge and want just to check a few at first and decide after that how to go on ...

>If I add a "use this action for all further conflicts" kind of setting, I don't think people realize the impact of doing that. It could result in a lot of changes being lost >because they would be modifying songs using potentially outdated data. That's why the default option is to use the last modified timestamp.  Also if someone >accidentally clicked the option to use the action for everything and then wanted to cancel, the merge might finish too quickly for them to cancel. If everyone >agrees that they want this kind of option, then I will add it, but I want to hear more feedback first.

Well, the same danger is there if you choose the wrong merge option from the beginning. Don't get too "Microsoft" here and trust your users to know and to check what they are doing. But I agree, on the safe side a warning "do you really want to ..." might be in order.

>As far as there being no differences between songs, yet the merge dialog being shown, can you take a screenshot of that occurring? I wish I had the same library >to test with, but I'll have to suffice with as much information as you can provide.  If the conflict was for files, and not for song metadata, that could occur if the >calculated file hash was different on each device, meaning the bytes of the files were different in some way (even if the size was identical). If a file was missing on >one device, this would happen as well.

I will make screenshots the next time. I can upload my library again, too (and look for the logs in the dir Sciurius mentioned).

When I canceled the last sync I noticed that the new setlist from the server was now in the database in the client. Also all the paths of the server were in the client (though this could still be from a previous try of the beta). I adjusted the paths before trying to sync, so I'm not quite sure which steps the sync did.

My main use will be to sync from a master tablet to slave/clients and usually make all the changes on the master tablet (while keeping the sheets directories in sync with other appz). So it would be nice and a time saver if there would be an option to restrict the sync just to copying the database and fix the paths according to the folders in the setting?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Information for beta testing library sync feature - by BRX - 06-04-2018, 06:22 AM