• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Information for beta testing library sync feature
Hey Mike, I'm a bit confused right now, what to do and what to expect, so

Quote:When restoring a backup in either version (Android or Windows 10) it tries to honor the storage location in the backup file if you check the "Restore settings" checkbox. With Windows 10, permission has to be granted to access the storage location if a folder was picked outside of the storage location.

Yes. The permission was asked each time when I tried a restore. I chose the storage location on W10 x:\dropbox\noten before the backup and restore so I didn't expect to have to grant access again. Also I couldn't just pick OK but had to navigate away from the storage location (which was displayed in the file picker) and back to it to choose it with OK.

Quote:Unfortunately, I obviously didn't handle the case where an Android backup file is restored on Windows 10, and the storage location can't be used for that, so I will add code to handle that. 

The code isn't in the last beta yet, right? At least with my last try the message with the Android storage location popped up again.

Quote:You should uncheck the "Restore settings" option and try again. I will say that your folder structure will only be restored if you created that library backup with your storage location set to a folder that all of your songs are under. So if you have /storage/xxx-xxxx/Noten as your storage directory, and all of your song files are under there, then Windows 10 should preserve your subdirectories. If your storage location is set to some other folder and you are managing your own files, then the folders won't be preserved on Windows. In short, set your storage location to that folder even if you are managing your own files otherwise the subdirectories can't be preserved. If your backup file on Android was created with a different storage location, you'll have to recreate it (and include settings in the backup file so the storage location can be extracted during the restore). Just to clarify, even if you don't restore settings when restoring the backup file, it will still extract the storage location so it can try to preserve subdirectories. So including the settings with the backup file is important if you care about your directories being preserved.

Well, do I understand correctly: To restore the folder structure under W10 I have to create also a xxxx-xxxx/storage/noten path on W10 to use the backups from Android? 
That's less than ideal. Especially if I want to have it in a dropbox folder under Windows.

I had the expectation that relative paths would mean sheets from e.g. xxxx-xxxx/storage/noten/sheets/sheet.pdf on Android and x:\dropbox\noten\sheets\sheet.pdf on W10 would be saved as sheets/sheet.pdf in the database and the storage folder for the full path will be added by the respective MSP app on the devices according to the settings.

I restored an backup (made with beta companion) from Android to W10 today again with the latest betas. With and without settings it restored without folder structure (which was expected after your explanations above).

May I summarize what I'd like to be able to do and kind of expected?

I want to have my Android storage folder under "xxxx-xxxx/Noten/" on the external SD card and on W10 under "x:\dropbox\noten" in a Dropbox folder obviously.

A backup with companion or from within the app should be restored under the Win10 storage location with the exact folder structure of the subdirectories in the location.
Ideally a simple copy of the database from Android to W10 (maybe manually or as a simple option in the library sync) should be able without adjusting of paths (i.e. if all the audio and PDF files are there and in identical relative paths).

Will this be possible with the current or coming adjustments?

Also I noticed another side problem.

I indeed forgot at first to set the MSP storage location to "xxxx-xxxx/Noten/" on the external SD card. I thought I had because I always had my sheets under this location and imported from there (managing my files myself). When I changed the storage location now the option to expose the database vanished.

I understand why. The database has to be writable and sadly there are millions of problems to write to externals SD cards. The same problem goes for the editing of chordpro files, I guess (which I never use, so no big problem there for me).

But I'd really like to have the database still exposed on an unrooted device so I can still use my own manual automatic sync with Dropbox/Dropsync I mentioned a few times already.

Could you leave the option to expose the database even if the storage location is now on the external SD card? It would be sufficient if the current database would still be present in the default Android/data/com.zubersoft/files directory (cited from memory), maybe as copy from the private folders similar to a backup?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Information for beta testing library sync feature - by BRX - 07-05-2018, 01:52 AM