• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding Bookmarks to SetList along with Song?
Is it possible to specify not only the songs you want in your SetList, but also WHERE TO START in that song?  In other words when you add a song to a playlist, it would be great to also specify a bookmark (or somehow indicate the location in the song)?

Maybe nobody else does this, but I have a lot of 4-part music, and each piece has multiple movements.  I typically store each part in one .pdf, but with all the movements in that one .pdf., and I put a bookmark at the beginning of each movement.  When my group performs, we typically switch parts in the middle of a single piece.  So for my setlist I want to specify, for example:

Alto.pdf: Movement-1
Soprano.pdf: Movement-2
Bass.pdf: Movement-3
Alto.pdf: Movement-4

I couldn't figure out a way to do this...

-Dan
No, that is not currently possible. It would be a very odd user experience to load a setlist, turn through the pages, and occasionally it might jump many pages after a single page turn if you wanted to start a specific position in a song. The code for that would also be quite odd, as it would only be something that you would want to happen if you were turning forward from the beginning. If you decided to turn back a few pages from the page you wanted to start on, then turned forward, it shouldn't just skip to the starting page. So I'm not sure that is really the best approach for solving this problem. 

Some time this year, I'm going to roll out an update that adds song versioning. This will allow any song to have different versions where each version can have independent files, bookmarks, annotations, etc. So in your example, you could have four versions of the song each associated with a particular movement (and perhaps one version with all movements). When setting up the setlist, you will be able to pick which version of a song to use. So this would let you ignore everything but the one movement you want. Is that basically what you are trying to achieve?

Thanks,
Mike
How about copying each song (the song in MSP, not the file) so that you have multiple songs that refer to the same PDF and modify the page order?
Thus you can have both the complete piece and each of its movements in separate songs that you can add to setlists as you need.
Note: Annotations are stored per song.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(01-03-2019, 05:16 PM)Zuberman Wrote: No, that is not currently possible. It would be a very odd user experience to load a setlist, turn through the pages, and occasionally it might jump many pages after a single page turn if you wanted to start a specific position in a song. The code for that would also be quite odd, as it would only be something that you would want to happen if you were turning forward from the beginning. If you decided to turn back a few pages from the page you wanted to start on, then turned forward, it shouldn't just skip to the starting page. So I'm not sure that is really the best approach for solving this problem. 

Some time this year, I'm going to roll out an update that adds song versioning. This will allow any song to have different versions where each version can have independent files, bookmarks, annotations, etc. So in your example, you could have four versions of the song each associated with a particular movement (and perhaps one version with all movements). When setting up the setlist, you will be able to pick which version of a song to use. So this would let you ignore everything but the one movement you want. Is that basically what you are trying to achieve?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike.  Yes, that's exactly what I want.  Thanks, I look forward to getting the update!

-Dan
(01-03-2019, 09:04 PM)itsme Wrote: How about copying each song (the song in MSP, not the file) so that you have multiple songs that refer to the same PDF and modify the page order?
Thus you can have both the complete piece and each of its movements in separate songs that you can add to setlists as you need.
Note: Annotations are stored per song.

Interesting idea.  I didn't realize you could do that -- I'll give it a try.  Thanks!

-Dan