• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to jump back and forth through different pdf's?
So, I'm currently at a chamber music festival, I have a concert of Schubert's "trout quintet" which will be performed with some baryton arias between movements. Some arias I will play, some will be tacet.
I have been sent a rather huge and unwieldy pdf of the music for the entire concert (full score actually) with all repeats simply copied out making a pdf of 153 pages with about 8 bars of music per page...
So, before arriving here I downloaded the separate double bass part of the piece (10 pages instead of 153)
Then at the first rehersal, they want me to play bass on two of the arias, and I will have to read some cello parts, some left hand piano parts.

I'm really confused to what the best way to combine these pdf's would be.
I'm playing two Arias, first one after the third movement, second after the fourth.
How can I set this up the best with my 10 page PDF and 3 pages plus 4 different pages of the 153 page PDf and having the app jump between them at the correct places. I would also like to have empty sheets I can make scribbles of TACETs for arias I don't play.

I guess I would need to copy the PDF's somehow to call up different parts of the huge pdf for different places in the perofrmance?

Thanks for any help on this.

Frode
I would try to combine all the pdf you need in one song and arrange them in the order you need. for example:
1. double bass
2. score
3. double bass
4. piano part
5. score
in each pdf you define the pages you need.
this should give you a song with the correct order of the sides.
See also:
https://youtu.be/FOZ5CO00nRk
please note: if you need the score twice, for example, you have to add it to the song twice.

as a wish for @mike: would it be possible to duplicate the files used in a song directly in the edit files dialog of the song without the add dialog?
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
As McAroni but if the duplicated score is large, you might prefer to just edit the page order for the file e.g. 1-5,6-80,81-84,6-80, etc

Another possibility might be to use a .csv file to import the score as though the parts are separate songs/pieces; you could then put the lot in a setlist in the order that you wish.

With all the parts in a single pdf (duplicated page numbers or not), you could utilise link points to jump to the next section quickly (I believe links only work within the same file)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Hi Frode,

just to add to the ideas by McAroni and Geoff: I think there are 3 ways of achieving what you want:

The probably cleanest way would be in my eyes to cut up the music into the separate movements and arias and make all of them separate "Songs" in MuseScore. Then add them up in the right order in a setlist. That would have the benefit that you can keep all your markings and in case of a change of ordering that would be very easy in the end. But it takes a bit of work to create the different songs. I would recommend using the "Snippet" function (you find it when you open a song in the lower left corner, press the downward arrow and then there is the function "create snippet") for that rather than what Geoff said to reimport the score using a csv file, because with the snippet function you keep all your annotations.

The second way is what McAroni said: to put all the pdfs in one song, and referencing the pdf multiple times with different page ranges. In this case you have to be cautious to not lose your annotations! It might be the fastest way, but it has the downside that you can't easily take some of the things out of the context of your newly created "Song" if you perhaps perform a different order or selection the next time. You can also then use link points as Geoff said to jump from one page to another. Using link points is sometimes easier than erasing out a certain page range from the pdf and gives you more flexibility to add it back in - again without losing any annotations.

A third way that might be a compromise between doing it cleanly and fast would be to import every pdf differently and using SmartButtons instead of link points to jump inbetween. You find them in the lower right corner after opening a song - it's the 4th icon from the left. There is a Smart Button called "Load Song" where you can chose the other song and a certain page that is opened by clicking on the SmartButton. So you could navigate through everything using those.

As to your question of having empty sheets: You can do this in the first and third suggestion pretty easily by creating a new song as placeholder that only has a single empty page. In the second suggestion you can insert an empty page into your Song but only inbetween the pdfs with page ranges.

Malte