Poll: Would you purchase MobileSheets for MacOS?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I would purchase it
14.29%
2 14.29%
No, I only need the iPad version
42.86%
6 42.86%
No, I have a newer Mac that can already run the iPad version
42.86%
6 42.86%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gauging interest in support for older Macs
I am currently investigating whether I am going to be able to support older Macs through Mac Catalyst (Macs with an M1 or M2 processor can already run the iPadOS version). Unfortunately, there are a few limitations at the moment with supporting Mac Catalyst:

1) I cannot use the new picture taking capabilities (which isn't as important as on the iPad itself)
2) I cannot use Microsoft's OneDrive libraries, as they don't support Mac Catalyst and have stated that they will most likely not support it.

I don't want to remove support for either of those from the iPadOS version, so this means if I wanted to release MobileSheets for older Macs, it would have to be released as a completely separate product through the Mac App Store. This means it would require a separate purchase from the iPad version. Additionally, my PDF library license is only for the iPadOS version, and if I wanted to release MobileSheets under a different application name (i.e. MobileSheets for MacOS), I would have to purchase a separate PDF library license. So before adding extra development expenses, I wanted to get a sense from some of the users on the forum - how many of you would want to purchase and utilize MobileSheets for an older Mac that has an intel processor? If there isn't much interest, I most likely won't move forward with this, as it adds yet another version that I have to test and develop for, along with additional development expenses.

Thanks,
Mike
Well, I'd purchase it, at least as long as my Intel iMac (2017) is my main computer. But to be honest: Intel Macs are a dying platform only waiting to be replaced by Apple Silicon Macs. If I was you I would not invest time and money in it - and like you say, you'll have even one version more to maintain, and in already foreseeable future you'll finish doing so since there won't be new Intel Macs and the users will get less and less than they already are...
Thanks for the feedback Waldbaer. I am leaning towards not supporting older devices for the very reasons you have mentioned. I'm already struggling to keep up with the workload of three versions on separate platforms, so I don't think I want to add any additional work especially when it will be less and less relevant over time.

Mike
My vote would be not to devote any of your energy. You have enough on your plate and if someone really needs that there are other apps to use.
I would purchase an older Mac version, if available, but honestly the iPad version, once I get it working properly for playing out (I just posted another thread about that) is more than sufficient. I would never perform using the Mac, so that would really only be for convenience of editing, and an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard would work just as well for me.

Pete Glaze
Older macs are able to run the windows version through bootcamp/virtual machines.
Older macs are able to run the windows version through bootcamp/virtual machines.
I wouldn't devote the resources to supporting older Macs natively.

1. There are multiple options for running MobileSheets in a virtual machine on Intel Macs: Android VM via Android Studio, android-x86.org or Windows in Parallels or VirtualBox, etc.
2. ARM is The Way at this point.
3. Given the fact that it would require a custom codebase, effectively a completely separate platform in terms of code production & maintenance, it would be a net loss for everyone involved.
If you are still wanting comment on this Mike, like the others, no need for older Mac support. It is just more work for you and may not be worth the effort in $ returns.
I would really appreciate support for my older 2018 Mac (MacPro 2018). The support for iPads is already very good and if there is no support for older Macs I can live with that Smile By the way, I tried Forscore for the iPad and ultimately decided on Mobile Sheets, it is more logical and intuitive for me - Forscore just looks nicer - still
Most folks that are dedicated to digital music enough to want to organize their library with an app like this will also want the portability that comes with a tablet. The rest of us just click on the PDF and voila! Wink

Companion app compatibility with both newer and older Macs would be much appreciated tho. My brother is an avid Apple fan, and he says this is one thing that keeps him from switching away from Forscore. Not that Forscore has a companion app, but ya know... persnickety Apple fans.  Undecided