• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midicontrol doesn't work with new Tablet Samsung A8 ( SM-X200)
Pete,

I really want to help you, but not sure what advice to give. I have a Samsung Tab A7 (so earlier model than yours) and I tested the bluetooth MIDI functionality with my SX600, and once I got everything connected properly (which required some finessing with a WIDI UHost), then it all worked great and I would send/receive registrations with no issues, which involves complex system exclusive messages. I have tested this same functionality with a Samsung Tab S4, and Tab S8 Ultra, and both work great as well. So as far as I can see, the MIDI functionality is working as designed and there are no bugs that I can locate. I don't have a beatbuddy or GT1000 (I have a Boss GT10 that works great though), so I can't speak to whatever issues you are facing with those devices. The captured MIDI messages you showed from MIDI-OX shows that MobileSheets is transmitting the correct information, so that seems to indicate that the BeatBuddy is at fault here if it's not responding properly to the messages MobileSheets is sending, or there is some other issue that I can't derive from the information you have provided about how your library is setup. If you bring up the song editor, go to the MIDI tab, tap +, set up a message, and tap "Test MIDI Command", that should trigger the functionality on the BeatBuddy. It's the simplest way to test things. If that works without issue, then try creating a new song and send the message. If that doesn't work, something bizarre is happening, so kill MobileSheets, go into the bluetooth settings, forget the pairing with the beatbuddy, turn bluetooth off, turn it back on, go into MobileSheets, go to the Configure MIDI Connections screen, connect to the beatbuddy (which should then ask you to pair) and repeat the test again to see if things work properly.

While testing MIDI over the last several years, I've often seen weird situations where MobileSheets can enter a state where every message is sent and received twice, because Google's library somehow is establishing multiple connections to the same device. Killing and restarting the app fixes it and it's hard to figure out how to reproduce the problem. I've also seen issues with the MIDI code in the OS itself is in such a state that you have to reboot the device to get things back into a working state and then everything works properly. For most of these types of issues, there is nothing in the MobileSheets code itself that can be done to fix the issue because it seems to be happening either in the underlying OS libraries or in the OS itself. I don't know if any of this applies to the situation you are encountering, but I just wanted to mention it, because sometimes you do have to restart the device, mess with the pairing, disconnect and reconnect devices, etc, but once they are in a good state, things should continue to work properly from that point on.

Mike
Helo Mike,

First of all: the BeatBuddy has no Bluetooth. The connection ist via USB. Also the GT-1000 runs with USB.

I have now done the following:
I have uninstalled Mobilesheets. I restarted the tablet. I reinstalled Mobilsheets. I only made ONE new song in the empty library. I made one MIDI-command. And its the same. It doesn't work correct. Beat Buddy shows no reaction. GT-1000 shows the correct preset only every second time. Very strange.

I repeat myself: With Samsung S7, Samsung A50 and Samsung Tab A (2016) all runs perfectly.

Maybe I or you should start a thread here in the forum in order to ask who uses the new Tablet with MIDI-commands.

Peter
That definitely points to the Samsung A8 having MIDI problems... I'm not sure what else we can do if everything works perfectly on three other devices and not the A8. I don't have that tablet to test with, but even if I did, if the problem is happening in the OS itself, I wouldn't be able to do anything about it. For example, on my Samsung Tab S4, if I connect using the Google MIDI library to my SX600, the tablet wants to treat the USB connection as an audio output which causes significant conflicts with the MIDI processing in the OS. It's so bad that it can hang MobileSheets completely. If I switch to the default MIDI library, everything works great. Over bluetooth, there also aren't any issues with the Google MIDI library. So you can get very different behavior with some devices.

Mike
Hallo Mike and all others,

now I finally have a solution to my issue. The idea came from the german forum "Musiker-Board".

So far i've always had a connection with the Midiinterface Prodipe Midi 1i/10 beetween the Laptop and the BeatBuddy and GT-1000 Guitar Preamp. It worked. But not with the new tablet. I still don't know why, but whatever.

But it is also possible to connect only with USB. That means USB out from tablet to USB in to GT-1000. It works well.
The problem: the BeatBuddy has no USB input. BUT: I can connect the GT-1000 via MIDI-cable to the beatbuddy. And this connection works. The signal goes through the GT-1000 to the BeatBuddy.

So, I choose a song in mobilesheets and both devices (GT-1000 and BeatBuddy) go to the correct preset. I am happy now.

Greetings from Peter
Thanks for sharing your solution!

Mike