• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chromebook going to sleep AND Mobilesheets exiting
Hi all,

Hope it's OK to post two topics in one Blush

1. Chromebook going to sleep
I have two chromebooks that my partner and I use with Mobilesheets.  When the songs are loaded, 'sometimes' (and that's the tricky bit) the screen dims and then the chromebook goes to sleep.  I have tried changing the display settings to be always on and always on when songs loaded. It's pretty difficult to debug when it doesn't always happen.
One chromebook use a bluetooth page turner, the other doesn't.

2. Mobilesheets exiting
Occasionally Mobilesheets will exit and then continues to not restart until chromebook is restarted.  There does seem to be some consistency with this as usually there's a chromebook update pending - anyone else seen this?

Chromebooks are:
  1. Acer Spin 713
  2. Acer Spin 513

thanks for your great support!

Dave
I have also seen MobileSheets suddenly exiting on my Chromebook. It happens randomly, usually after hours of usage. Restarting MS exits immediately. Power Cycling the Chromebook then lets me open MS and use it, until next time. MS 3.8.6 (just updated to 3.8.9).

I have never seen the Chromebook go to sleep on its own.

This is an HP Chromebook x360 2-in-1, with a USB pedal.
Thinking about it, I believe that several months ago this did not happen, and I would leave MobilsSheets up for months at a time.
This one is going to be incredibly difficult to figure out. I'll run some tests on the two Chromebook devices I have to see if I can reproduce it, but if it's going to take hours of usage to reproduce the problem, that definitely will make it harder to test out any changes I make. I also don't know if it's an easy with the OS, with MobileSheets, or some kind of interaction between the two. The only changes that have been made recently that come to mind are the changes I had to make for the status bar and navigation bar on newer versions of Android. I'm not sure if that's related in any way, but you can try turning off fullscreen mode, unchecking the options to hide/dim the navigation bar, using the app for hours and seeing if the problem occurs. 

It's also possible something has changed in ChromeOS itself that is now causing this issue. That will be hard to determine as well.

Mike
No idea if this is related but the last few times I've updated, the app has crashed less than a minute into the first use - it just exits with no warning. I can restart it straightaway and then it's usually fine after that, the exception being when I updated one of the tablets from 3.8.1 to 3.8.9 a couple of days ago and it crashed twice rather than just the once, both within a minute or so. I used it for a couple of hours after that with no problems. This is on an Onyx Boox Max 3. I have 3 of them left to update so I'll let you know if the same thing happens. Not particularly worried about it because it only seems to happen immediately after updating and it doesn't always happen but let me know if I should check whether crash reporting is on or whatever.
Guy
I've started having this problem on my Lenovo Duet Chromebook tablet too. It looks as if the problems stem from Google moving to a new VM, ARCVM for the update to Android 11 on Chromebooks. It's much more resource intensive, and 4gb of memory is barely enough to support the new Android VM. Very annoying, because it ran Mobile sheets perfectly until the update , but now Mobile sheets will regularly shut down, return to the library screen, or dim the screen.
(07-27-2023, 05:48 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: This one is going to be incredibly difficult to figure out. I'll run some tests on the two Chromebook devices I have to see if I can reproduce it, but if it's going to take hours of usage to reproduce the problem, that definitely will make it harder to test out any changes I make. I also don't know if it's an easy with the OS, with MobileSheets, or some kind of interaction between the two. The only changes that have been made recently that come to mind are the changes I had to make for the status bar and navigation bar on newer versions of Android. I'm not sure if that's related in any way, but you can try turning off fullscreen mode, unchecking the options to hide/dim the navigation bar, using the app for hours and seeing if the problem occurs. 

It's also possible something has changed in ChromeOS itself that is now causing this issue. That will be hard to determine as well.

Mike

It's been happening for a long time. It's rare, but it MobileSheets closed recently WHILE I was playing in a recital.  It was in performance mode, and I was in the middle of the page with no recent page turns. There should have been nothing else running on the Chromebook at the time.
Hi,
Same observation on a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 3.

I can add the following: if I kill(*) MS, it restarts OK, without needing to restart the chromebook. So it could be that it doesn't crash, but just disappears from the screen.

(*) long press on the MS icon -> info/about -> advanced/additional settings -> force stop. (this might not be the correct wording, I don't have the chromebook within reach)

It has been some time since I didn't tinker with Android devices, is there an easy way to collect logs when the problem occurs, that could help you Mike?
Best regards,
Frank
If it's a crash and Settings->About->Enable Crash Reports is turned on, then I should get a crash report. Otherwise, there isn't any logging in place at the moment. This may be something I will work on adding at some point, but it will be a fair amount of work, as we don't have any sense where the log is occurring, so it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'll just have to put logging statements everywhere, and if the crash is occurring inside the Android framework code, I still may not be able to gather any meaningful information. 

How often are you seeing the issue Frank?

Thanks,
Mike
(09-01-2023, 05:54 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: If it's a crash and Settings->About->Enable Crash Reports is turned on, then I should get a crash report. Otherwise, there isn't any logging in place at the moment. This may be something I will work on adding at some point, but it will be a fair amount of work, as we don't have any sense where the log is occurring, so it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'll just have to put logging statements everywhere, and if the crash is occurring inside the Android framework code, I still may not be able to gather any meaningful information. 

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
I'll let you know. My wife uses the chromebook, and there has been a lot of vacationing going on recently. It has never occurred 'live', only when preparing (ie composing a setlist) afaik.
We bought the chromebook in July, and I'd say she reported half a dozen crashed, give or take.
I'll turn the crash report setting on tonight.

I am willing to help as much as I can here, as I'd really like MS to run fine on chromebooks (ie the only reasonably priced large screens left on the market).
Thanks a lot,
Frank
(09-01-2023, 09:08 PM)GaardenZwerch Wrote:
(09-01-2023, 05:54 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: If it's a crash and Settings->About->Enable Crash Reports is turned on, then I should get a crash report. Otherwise, there isn't any logging in place at the moment. This may be something I will work on adding at some point, but it will be a fair amount of work, as we don't have any sense where the log is occurring, so it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'll just have to put logging statements everywhere, and if the crash is occurring inside the Android framework code, I still may not be able to gather any meaningful information. 

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
I'll let you know. My wife uses the chromebook, and there has been a lot of vacationing going on recently. It has never occurred 'live', only when preparing (ie composing a setlist) afaik.
We bought the chromebook in July, and I'd say she reported half a dozen crashed, give or take.
I'll turn the crash report setting on tonight.

I am willing to help as much as I can here, as I'd really like MS to run fine on chromebooks (ie the only reasonably priced large screens left on the market).
Thanks a lot,
Frank

Re,
I just checked, crash reports was already 'on'.
Best regards
I set up some automated tests and my Chromebook (A Google Pixel Slate) has been loading songs and turning pages for several hours without any issues. I'll leave it running for several more hours, but I'm definitely not seeing a crash just by loading songs. So I will either need a library that is known to cause the problem, or specific steps on how to reliably cause the issue to occur.

Thanks,
Mike
(09-02-2023, 05:40 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I set up some automated tests and my Chromebook (A Google Pixel Slate) has been loading songs and turning pages for several hours without any issues. I'll leave it running for several more hours, but I'm definitely not seeing a crash just by loading songs. So I will either need a library that is known to cause the problem, or specific steps on how to reliably cause the issue to occur.

Thanks,
Mike

I have sent you a PM with a link to the library.
I don't know if this is  easily done, but I can run your automated tests on our chromebook too.

I have ordered a second chromebook to have a spare, and be able to do more testing out of 'production environment'.

TIA,
Frank
It's unfortunately not easily done with a Chromebook due to their strict requirements for using the Google Play Store to install apps. You'd have to switch to developer mode in order to sideload APKs, which pops up some annoying prompts and such, so I'd prefer you not have to mess with that.

Mike
(07-17-2023, 10:50 PM)davewalker Wrote: Hi all,

Hope it's OK to post two topics in one Blush

1. Chromebook going to sleep
I have two chromebooks that my partner and I use with Mobilesheets.  When the songs are loaded, 'sometimes' (and that's the tricky bit) the screen dims and then the chromebook goes to sleep.  I have tried changing the display settings to be always on and always on when songs loaded. It's pretty difficult to debug when it doesn't always happen.
One chromebook use a bluetooth page turner, the other doesn't.

2. Mobilesheets exiting
Occasionally Mobilesheets will exit and then continues to not restart until chromebook is restarted.  There does seem to be some consistency with this as usually there's a chromebook update pending - anyone else seen this?

Chromebooks are:
  1. Acer Spin 713
  2. Acer Spin 513

thanks for your great support!

Dave
Hi Dave,
I just came across this, I have an Acer Spin 713 as well. Very happy with the chromebook because of the screen ratio that fits better an A3 page. What you describe happened with my Acer as well a few times. Only in rehearsal or practicing, recently I haven't seen it any more, but I can confirm what you write.
cheers,
Joop