• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ChordPro - display diagrams ?
Hello, when I generate my tablatures with ChordPro, I have chord diagrams displayed during visualization. However, in MobileSheets, I don't see them, which is a shame because we should have the option to display them. As for the repetitions, it's a fantastic tool to be able to visualize them, and having the ability to place them at the top, bottom, left, and right, as well as displaying them on each page, is incredibly useful. If we could also add the possibility to modify their size like the rest of the options coming from a text file, that would be fantastic.
In itself, having more possibilities to customize the different metadata of a .cho file would be excellent
The pango markup syntax should give you complete control over the styling of the file. So I would recommend utilizing that if you need more fine-tuned control.

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to when you mention "repetitions" in this context. What are you wanting to be able to place in the corners? Something in the MobileSheets UI? Or something in the file itself? 

I don't support chord diagrams at the moment, but I'm adding that in the next major update.

Mike
In fact, with the ChordPro format, I would like to be able to display the chord diagrams on each page of the sheet music, with the option to place them at the top, bottom, or sides of the sheet. Before I purchased your application, I created my sheet music in Word by inserting screenshots of the chords from Guitar Pro, which was extremely time-consuming. It's such a time-saver to neatly create sheet music with ChordPro, but I'm disappointed that I can't display the chord diagrams on the sheet. 

Additionally, if you could add the ability, once this feature has been added, to adjust the size, spacing, and the option to display them or not, just like for the notes, that would be great. One last request, would it be possible in the ChordPro format to add a page break? So that when we play as a group with synchronized tablets, we all have the exact same display and when I turn the page with the pedal, we're at the same spot? For example, my drummer only needs the lyrics and doesn't need the chords, but he should have the same number of lines as the guitarists on his sheet.

In any case, thank you for your software, which is a gem for musicians!
There are two different things I'm planning on supporting:

1) An auto-generated list of chord diagrams for every detected chord in the song. This would be scrollable, and I was planning on putting it at the bottom, but I could look into allowing it to be placed on the top/sides as well. I can try to provide a size scaling setting so you can shrink/enlarge them.

2) If a chord is listed using the {chord: name} command, I was planning on showing the chord diagram for that at that exact position in the chord pro file. I think that's how that command is supposed to be handled.

I'm assuming you care more about the first option given your request, but let me know if that does not match what you are expecting.

Page breaks are already supported - just enter {np} in the file. I'm also planning on supporting an option to specify the exact page size to use (in pixels) for each page of a chord pro file. This will allow pages to be rendered identically across devices.

Mike
Everything you just mentioned aligns perfectly with my needs. It's perfect !  Do you have an idea of when you might make these new features available?

Indeed, if we could choose the position of the entire set of chords, that would be great, and if the chord could be positioned based on where {chord: name} is placed, that's even better. 
Very practical in cases where there's a rise in a song and the chords to play could be visible at that point. 

The scale parameter would be really top-notch too. If you could try a style for the chords more in the style of GuitarPro than the basic ChordPro, that would be great. 

And as for the page size and page break, that's excellent. 

Keep it up!
Can you please provide an example of what you mean when you say "a style for the chords more in the style of GuitarPro than the basic ChordPro"?  That will help me to get an idea of what you are wanting.

Thanks,
Mike
The first screenshot shows the diagram provided by the GuitarPro software. The second is the .Cho format made with ChordPro... Honestly, it looks bad. I don't know what you think, but basically, we need a taller chord diagram to space out the visibility of finger placements between the frets.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...qX8cQTkcP7
There is always a balance between having things larger and more legible versus smaller and less obstrusive. I'll see what I can do when I implement the rendering code. If the diagrams are too large, it obviously starts shrinking the amount of lyrics/chords that can be displayed on the page and would then require more scrolling to see each diagram (as only 4-5 might fit on the screen at once). 

Mike
Hey Kevin, you seem to have some interesting ideas for ChordPro. Why not join the ChordPro forum at https://groups.io/g/ChordPro/topics and tell us?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Quote:I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to when you mention "repetitions" in this context.
My guess is he means "rehearsals". In Dutch these are called "repetities".
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
(08-06-2023, 03:58 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: There is always a balance between having things larger and more legible versus smaller and less obstrusive. I'll see what I can do when I implement the rendering code. If the diagrams are too large, it obviously starts shrinking the amount of lyrics/chords that can be displayed on the page and would then require more scrolling to see each diagram (as only 4-5 might fit on the screen at once).

A bit harder to do, but maybe only show the diagrams of the chords that are actually visible on the display?
Johan
That's an interesting idea... I would definitely make it optional behavior as I could imagine some people wouldn't want the chord diagrams changing as they scroll through a page.
Thank you for your quick feedback. Sorry for my English; I'm using ChatGPT for translation Wink. Regarding the display of diagrams, if initially we could have a display at the top or bottom that can be toggled on each page, that would be really great. Do you have an idea of the timeframe for adding this feature? And thanks for the invitation to the ChordPro forum. Before MobileSheets, I wasn't familiar with this format, and now it's a real time-saver.
The next major update is tentatively around 8 weeks, but that's assuming nothing derails me and no other serious issues come up.

Mike
Thank you, I'm eagerly awaiting future updates of your application. Best regards.