• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions from long-time forScore user
(08-01-2023, 06:27 AM)BRX Wrote: Well, it will be still a bit of manual work, but if you can export metadata from forscore as csv then you probably can use that (after adjusting the format and columns a bit) with MS' batch import feature which also uses csv to import metadata (or rather the songs creating the entries in MS including metadata). Doesn't work for annotations like markings etc. though (and I can't imagine a way possible ).

But if you have the metadata as csv you are already half (or 75 % or more) there. Just familiarize yourself a bit with the csv import. There are quite a lot useful posts about it in the forum.

Ah! I didn't realize that MobileSheets had a CSV import feature. That may be just the trick. Because forScore never really did metadata very well I do intend to (laboriously) pour through my forScore-exported CSV file and 'touch up' the metadata across the board. This migration provides me the opportunity / excuse to clean things up for a fresh start.

So I guess I'll actually have two options for myself. I did just take a look at exiftool's batch populate command. It is extremely straightforward. Just point it at a directory of PDF docs, provide the name of the CSV file containing the metadata, and off it goes. I may do it this way because then I'll have all the metadata populated on my PC as well; which could be useful even for just looking around for sheet music on my desktop.
The CSV feature is currently only meant to be used to extract songs from a larger PDF (it acts as an index of the available songs in the PDF). I do not currently support importing a CSV to populate metadata for a large number of songs/files at once. This has certainly been requested before, and it's something I can work on sooner if it will be of help to users moving over from forScore. I'm also looking supporting extracting a subset of the information from forScore 4SC and backup files, so that users can at least transfer their files and metadata to MobileSheets more easily. I doubt I can support extracting annotations though, at least not at first. This may be something I improve over time.

Mike
Quote:The CSV feature is currently only meant to be used to extract songs from a larger PDF (it acts as an index of the available songs in the PDF). I do not currently support importing a CSV to populate metadata for a large number of songs/files at once. This has certainly been requested before, and it's something I can work on sooner if it will be of help to users moving over from forScore. 

Indeed. I think I was maybe the first to request it when I build my first library with CSV files and didn't want to do a csv for each pdf but only one big csv to import from. It's been a few years since. And Mike, you know, I never mean to push, but if this is at least a passable way to get over metadata from forscore to MS than maybe you should priorize it more.

I always thought there would not be not too much difficulty to change it from reading the csv from a pdf with the same name in the directory to adding another column with the name of the source pdf to be read from.
Yes, I'm no programmer, and actually have no clue what goes into such changes. And to provide correct path information for all platforms will be even more complicated now there's also iOs. But even if one still has to keep the PDFs in one (ore the main) directory it would be worth it IMHO to implement that sooner rather than later.
(07-28-2023, 04:24 PM)Maddcow Wrote: @Learux, haha.  Maybe.  It's still early days but I'm seriously impressed with how responsive @Zubersoft is....the COMPLETE and utter opposite of the forScore dev who simply ignores every communication.  Hopefully I'll be done with forScore if I can manage to migrate over 15 years of work to MobileSheets instead.

We've been using MS on Android since 2015, with multiple "common use" tablets for our church music program. I can get 11.6" RCA Android tablets for <$100, which makes it all feasible. Personally, I was using either forScore (since 2014) or OnSong (2019) on my iPad, and I made multiple approaches over the years to their devs, and others, to see if they would work with Mike to create bi-directional setlist compatibility, to make my weekly planning easier (I'm just selfish like that). Back in 2016, I actually told the OnSong guys that they should approach Mike about turning MobileSheets into "OnSong for Android." Nobody listened, nobody cared. So I was overjoyed when Mike released MS for iPad, and I've been encouraging everyone I know to make the switch. Now he's adding the ability to import forScore setlists, which is just beautiful. MS is the Swiss army knife of sheet music apps, and absolutely deserves to be the king of that hill.

To the current question...one of the advantages of the way MS handles files (e.g. audio files get copied into the MS file structure just like PDFs and ChordPro files) is full cross-platform compatibility between Android, iPadOS, macOS, and Windows. Adding "Apple-specific" features like being able to add links from a score in MS to songs in Apple Music might sound like an attractive idea, but what happens when you export that score to MS on Android? If that breaks the audio link, then the cross-platform advantage is lost. I would argue against adding a feature like this. Mike is just one guy, and he keeps costs down for his customers -- which is something else that sets MS apart from its competitors -- so IMHO it behooves us to think in terms of maximizing the impact of his programming time.
FYI - I have completed my own forScore to MobileSheets migration. See my post: forScore Migration - One Man's Process @ https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...10337.html

Note the 2nd posting there where I provided an update to the effect that I did end up creating two Python scripts - one for the metadata transformation and one for setlist conversion.