• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
backup crashes
Hello!

I see there is a new backup status dialog. I think I read about this, and it's much slicker. However:

1) It makes backups take much longer than before (all those screen updates, perhaps?)
2) After packing each song and prompting for a destination and me clicking the button, it crashes. Tried it 3 times.

Thanks!

DK

p.s. This is running on macOS
Okay, I JUST saw an update and re-ran it and it worked!
It's strange that you are just seeing the update as it was available as of a couple of days ago I beileve. The new progress dialog definitely should have little to no impact on the speed of the backup. I do have to do string measurements, but unless the backup is processings tens of thousands of songs a second, I doubt this would cause a noticeable slowdown. How much longer is the backup taking for you?

Mike
Update: the backup ran really fast just now. I have about 8600 songs. I wonder if there was a first-time process of packing the files or something else that didn't have to run subsequently, and therefore was much faster??
Well the first backup after the update would have had to calculate hashes for every file in your library. Those are then stored in the database and don't have to be recalculated again. So it's possible you were just seeing that. I chose to do this as part of the backup as users are already waiting and the entire library has to be initialized and accessed, so it's a convenient time to go through and calculate hashes if they are missing. This only affects songs created before version 3.8.12, and as mentioned, is a one-time thing.

Mike
Yes and even after it crashed the first time, it seems to quickly skip to around song 4000 which is probably where it left off when it crashed. Anyway, it got 100x faster now!
There is something I should have done to speed that up for users that utilize large PDFs with the CSV feature - I should have kept a map of file paths to hashes so that I could check to see if the work was already done for a given file and reuse the hash. I'll make that change for the next update as well (this no longer matters for you though).

Thanks,
Mike