• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aid to practicing after a group rehearsal
I play in a number of recorder groups and we frequently site read a number of pieces that
we have in mobile sheets.  Often, when I am practicing at home I try to remember what
parts I had trouble with so I could practice them and do better the next time we sight
read that piece (OK, it is not technically sight reading if we have already played the piece, but
you know what I mean).  I can go to the recents to see what pieces I have played but
I might still have 100's of pages to look through to find the parts that I want to practice
(Note that we often rotate parts so I don't know what part I even played).

My feature request is that there is a simple command that takes the current page of the
current piece that you are viewing and adds this to a setlist with today's date as the name
(e.g., August 16, 2003).  Thus when you are playing, you could easily tap this on any
tricky parts you want to later return to to practice, without having to disrupt the current
group playing experience.  Then, at a later date, you simple go to the setlist (August 16, 2003
in this case) and can walk through the parts.  Granted, you have to find the part of the
page that needs practicing but that shouldn't be too hard.

I made this suggest and Mike, the Mobile Sheets creator, suggested I use "Create Snippet"
which is a great feature and does half of what I want.  He also suggested that I post
to this forum to see if others think it is a useful enough feature for him to add it.  I think
all he would have to do is create a setlist with today's date, if it isn't already created
and add the page created with create snippet to it.

Do people think this is useful and worth Mike's time?

thanks,
lee
No, I don't think so. Because IMHO you can do your request with almost no effort from the current snippet feature. Just tick all boxes in the snippet creation window, especially the edit after creation box and you can immediately add the snippet to an existing (or new) setlist even without much editing.
To automate that last step is overkill IMHO for a very specific user case scenario. Just my 2p though.
"I might still have 100's of pages to look through to find the part" makes me think that your "songs" in MobileSheets are just too big.
Did you import complete books as one song? If this is the case than I would recommend to split them into smaller songs so that the recent list points directly to the part you played. It's a snap to create a setlist from the songs listed on the "Recent" tab.
Imho using CSV is more convenient than the snippet feature in case many songs need to be handled.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(08-17-2023, 02:17 PM)itsme Wrote: "I might still have 100's of pages to look through to find the part" makes me think that your "songs" in MobileSheets are just too big.
Did you import complete books as one song? If this is the case than I would recommend to split them into smaller songs so that the recent list points directly to the part you played. It's a snap to create a setlist from the songs listed on the "Recent" tab.
Imho using CSV is more convenient than the snippet feature in case many songs need to be handled.

One of my groups is 4 part and one is 6 part.  Lets take the average and say 5 parts.  We play
about 10 pieces in about 2 1/2 hours.  Each piece has 3 pages on average I might guess.  3 X 5 X 10 = 150 pages.
This is all very rough and doesn't include the pieces that we look at and then skip for one reason
or another.
As I've understood it it's about saving the practise parts on the fly. But I created a touch action to create snippet and it took me less than 5 seconds to save that snippet to the setlist I want. So I still don't see further need for that feature.
One of my groups is 4 part and one is 6 part.  Lets take the average and say 5 parts.  We play
about 10 pieces in about 2 1/2 hours.  Each piece has 3 pages on average I might guess.  3 X 5 X 10 = 150 pages.
This is all very rough and doesn't include the pieces that we look at and then skip for one reason
or another.
I still don't get it. In my understanding it's only required to save 10 songs/pieces. MobileSheets is perfectly to do that with a few clicks.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de