• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WIN PC ANNOTATION FONT SIZE CHANGING WITHIN A SONG FILE
HELLO:

I use MobileSheets to produce vocal and guitar leadsheets for use in practice and live performance.  I begin with a saved PDF document on my PC that contains blank music lines shown as TREBLE CLEF STAVES/STAFFS.  I pre-save these files with the name of the Title of a Song on my PC.  I then import these saved PDF files into MS as a Titled/Blank song file.  I then proceed to populate this imported file with various annotation entries, text for Titles, text for Chords, text for Lyrics, music note symbols for illustrating musical note play on the staffs.  I use a variety of text font sizes within my music files, depending on what I'm trying to convey, Titles, Intro, Verse, Chords, etc.  I proceed to annotate my music files and then they are apparently auto-saved within MS when I complete and come out of the file.

What seems to be happening on occasion, not every time, when I place text identification of the Chords I'm using just above the staff lines, i.e., Fm, or D7, and leave the Music file, when I return to use the saved file, for either editing or performing, the Font Size has changed, on its own.  I typically use Font Size of 20 for the main chord indicator, and I capitalize it always.  I use Font size of 15 for lower case letters for minor chord, etc., indicators.  On various occastions I have noticed all the Font size 20s have changed to something different, from 22 to 26, and the lower case Minors, will change to 16.  Without knowing how this happened, I'm forced to manually change all the Chord indicators back to my original Font sizes.  Some songs will have an extensive number of chords, which as you can imagine is frustrating and very time consuming.  All other text entries do not seem to be affected, Titles, symbols, and other text entries of info value, [pause], [break], etc., are unchanged.  Only the Instrument Chords seem to be changing.

I tried to attach a msf of an example file, but it wouldn't allow it.
I attached a PDF of the file for information.  The chords in this were originally entered as font size 20, and the indicators as 15.  the PDF is showing them as font 22 ane font 16, respectively.
.pdf   ONE OF THESE NIGHTS.pdf (Size: 324.46 KB / Downloads: 11)

I would like to know if there is a better way of creating these Leadsheets.  I like the flexibility of the manual method I'm using, but I need for my entries to remain saved as entered and not changed in some manner.

Also, is there any plans to add a feature to MS that would support a more automated method of creating Leadsheets, i.e., structured Font sizes, and consistant allignment of the Chords entered, etc.

Thanks for your time.
You should definitely take a look at ChordPro.
Your example could be easily created with a text editor and exported as PDF.
And, even better, as soon as ChordPro's 'chord grid' feature is integrated in MobileSheets (which is hopefully the case in one of the next versions) you could even transpose these sheets with a few clicks
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

If you select multiple text annotations and then change the text tool settings, it may be altering all of the selected text annotations to the same size. Otherwise, I have no idea how the text size of your annotations could be altered without you interacting with them. If you have a list of steps I can follow to reproduce the issue reliably, please let me know and I'll certainly look into it. You can email the .msf to mike@zubersoft.com if you have something you'd like me to test.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

I'm only working with one TEXT annotation, either created or modified at any point in time, not multiple texts selected.  It is truly strange how only the text I use for Chord IDs get changed.

I sent you an example .msf file.  Hopefully it will reveal what's going on.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Steve,

Looking at your file, there is nothing obvious just by glancing at it. Are you rotating your device? Does the appearance of the chords change, or is just that the tool is reporting a different text size? The reason I ask is that, if you rotate your device, for example, a different size will be reported for those text annotations due to the "Scale tool sizes in landscape" setting. If the appearance of the chords is actually changing without you doing anything at all, then I'll need more guidance on how to reproduce that issue, because I'm not seeing it by just adding some new text annotations.

Thanks,
Mike
No, I'm not rotating my PC.  It happens on some files, but not all.  I'm usually seated at table top with the pc placed on it, with the screen lifted up.  I just rotated my PC with the screen in PORTRAIT position, meaning the screen is longer vertically, that horizontally. i was displaying the same file I sent you. The Chord font sized jumped to 30.  This would seem appropriate since the page was expanded to the new dimensions in portrait mode.

How can I capture my creation activities to give you the information you need to investigate this issue?

Thanks,
Steve
Is the pc in a case or on a stand ? - perhaps one of the buttons is getting pressed by one of these.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
With an issue like this, the key is in understanding what actions lead up to the problem happening. So if you can find a way to reproduce the issue reliably, then we can get it fixed. Without that, I have absolutely no idea whether it's due to something specific on your device, user error, or a cryptic bug that requires very specific actions in order for it to occur.  As mentioned, I loaded your song, edited some of the chords, added some new ones, deleted others, closed and re-entered the annotation editor about 30 times, but I never saw the chord sizes change. So what I need is you to record a video showing the actions you've taken up to the problem, and then the problem occurring. That should hopefully get me what I need to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Mike
So I did find one piece of code I'm going to update - if I used the text tool and edited E, it showed size 24 in the text tool dropdown, but then if I edited the lowercase 'm' next to it, it still showed 24. This is incorrect because it's not accounting for how the text tool would need to be configured to recreate a text annotation of the same size (it's not taking into account the unscaled size and figuring out what the scaled size should be for that annotation). If you select the annotation with the selection tool, then tap edit, you will see a different size reported (in my example, the 'm' was size 17). This is the correct size that should be used. So I have a fix in place for that so that in the future, if you switch between editing text annotations with different sizes, it should correctly reflect the size of each in the text tool settings. I don't know if this is related in any way to what you are seeing. However, it could be resulting in unexpected changes if you are modifying the text sizes of existing annotations using the text tool dropdown.

As a side note, are you resizing the MobileSheets window while annotating in any of these tests?

Mike
Yes, on occasion I will input a Chord, i.e., A, and then add a MINOR, m to it, in order to reflect an Am.  I usually use font size 20 for the main chord, A, and a font size of 15 for the MINOR, m.  The Chord ID is capitalized, and Minor ID, m is lower case.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your efforts,
Steve
Mike,

By the way, I usually zoom in on the area I'm annotating at the time, in order to make my editing more specific, and look correct.

Steve
Mike,
I see you updated the annotation feature in this last update.  I'll let you know if I experience anymore occurences of my problem.
Thanks
Steve
Thank you - hopefully the changes help a little.

Mike
Mike,
It appears that the code changes regarding my annotation issue has not resolved the problem.  I'm still seeing Font Size changes taking place without my initiation.  I'm not sure how to provide you the evidence you need to investigate this issue further.  Please advise what I can do to provide more information.  

This issue is really time consuming for me in trying to maintain a stable annotated file.

Thanks in advance.
As mentioned earlier, the most helpful thing at this point would be a video capturing everything that happens up until the moment when you experience the problem. At the moment, I have no idea how to reproduce what you described even while testing with your same annotations and file. That leads me to believe there is a series of actions I'm not taking that you are, or something else about your workflow that is resulting in a problem (which may or may not be a bug). If you can provide a list of exact steps that causes the issue (select this annotation, change this setting, move this annotation right about an inch, then save, etc), that would also work, as I just need a way of reliably recreating the problem. No other user has reported this issue, so it's somewhat unique to how you are working with the annotations. 

Thanks,
Mike