• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kindle: touching one spot kicks me out of MS!
Hello genius crew,

I have been using mobile sheets for a couple of years now on my kindle fire 10. I just returned it (still under warranty) because when I was in mobile sheets and touched a spot somewhere in the top left quadrant, the program would suddenly end and kick me out to my lock screen.

Received my replacement device today and was excited to transfer my account and sheet music and begin editing again as I am in several groups all beginning a new season. However, I was shocked when it happened again! This is when I realized it was only happening to me in this program. MS is the primary reason I purchased this particular Kindle Fire. I haven't had any other app on my Kindle do this, Though I have replicated the strokes made, particularly in my art program.

So here's what I found:

It only happens when I use a stylus- any stylus. 
I've tried touching as lightly as humanly possible with the stylus and it doesn't make a difference. 
It only happens in Edit mode. 
It is only a particular area vs one literal pixel type spot. 
There are times it happens where i can't highlight the top staff on any page without getting kicked out and times I can't get it to replicate easily. 
No other programs are running. 
Happens with wifi/BT on or off.
I'm using internal memory.
(As I still have 2 working devices in front of me, I can replicate this on both devices.)

Any ideas, besides not using a stylus?

Thank you!
Elisheva
Hello Elisheva,

That's definitely an unusual problem. You said it only happens in edit mode - I'm assuming you are referring to annotating, correct? I have some questions for you:

1) Does it matter what tool you have selected? 
2) If you toggle the stylus mode setting, does that have any impact on the problem?
3) You said it "kicks you out" to the lock screen - is MobileSheets crashing, or if you tap the MobileSheets icon after that point, does it resume back where you were at? 
4) If you go to Settings->Touch & Pedal Settings->Touch Actions, what action do you currently have assigned to the top left corner?

Hopefully we can figure this out.

Mike
(09-24-2023, 12:39 PM)Hello!Yes Im sorry, I do mean annotate and not edit mode.1) I have not noticed it beyond Highlighter and Pen. It seems to be a result more of a swiping motion than a dotting motion, such as when you would select an area to begin to type.2) I am not noticing a difference. I also can't get it to happen every single time. It seems to occur in nearly every piece when I am in a rehearsal actively making an annotation (pen/highlight). So the common troublesome motion would be when I highlight from the top left staff (get kicked out possibly) towards the right, then I highlight the second staff, turn the page, & repeat for say a 12 page piece.3) Yes, it is odd. I don't think the program crashes. I am just brought back out of the program to a black screen as if my tablet is off, and I have to enter my password again in the lock screen. Then if I tap on the app icon, I am right back to where I was last editing; I lose nothing. (Yay!) The entire delay probably lasts 5 seconds or so.It is frustrating for me as musician when I am singing while I am actively highlighting the staff I am on. (Huge amount of repertoire is given and as this is the beginning of a new season, we are sight reading...I am in four large groups).4) Top left corner is "none."I will see if I can record with my cell phone the next time I am actively editing.Thanks again!-EZubersoft Wrote: Hello Elisheva,

That's definitely an unusual problem. You said it only happens in edit mode - I'm assuming you are referring to annotating, correct? I have some questions for you:

1) Does it matter what tool you have selected? 
2) If you toggle the stylus mode setting, does that have any impact on the problem?
3) You said it "kicks you out" to the lock screen - is MobileSheets crashing, or if you tap the MobileSheets icon after that point, does it resume back where you were at? 
4) If you go to Settings->Touch & Pedal Settings->Touch Actions, what action do you currently have assigned to the top left corner?

Hopefully we can figure this out.

Mike
Here is a video! I apologize for the clumsiness, as I was trying to keep my cell phone centered and couldn't see my actual Kindle screen easily.
Thank you for the video. I removed the link as I wasn't sure if you were okay with people seeing the number you entered to unlock the screen each time. It's a very strange problem though - I'm not sure what to make of it. That doesn't seem like something MobileSheets is doing. I certainly can't reproduce that using a stylus/pen on any of my Android devices. 

If you go to into the OS settings on that device, is there a section for stylus/pen interactions? I think you said you don't experience this is any other apps, correct? I'm just curious if there is something that is being triggered that could be disabled, as I know other users have had to disable certain touch gestures in the OS settings to prevent problems (like some devices map a three finger tap to taking a screenshot which stops the three finger tap from working in MobileSheets). Do you see anything in the OS settings under Advanced features->motions and gestures, or anything of that sort that might be triggered? Look for a gesture/shortcut that locks the screen.

Mike
(09-25-2023, 06:52 AM)Shalomshalom Wrote: Here is a video! I apologize for the clumsiness, as I was trying to keep my cell phone centered and couldn't see my actual Kindle screen easily.
Dear Mike,

Well I am said to say that indeed it seems like a kindle problem, AND on two devices! What are the its?! must be something on the OS...?

I tested an art program extensively and finally was able to replicate it there. 

I'm so sorry to have taken up your time!

THANK YOU far trouble shooting so diligently!

-E
*odds
That at least makes sense that you would see it in multiple applications, as MobileSheets doesn't even have the ability to lock the screen itself... Thanks for following up!

Mike