• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum: column "Latest Activity" often missing with theme "Vienna"
I like the forum theme "Vienna" because of its"Latest Activity" column that shows recent posts across all subforums. Alas that column often is empty, not showing any content. Sometimes "Latest Activity" is empty, sometimes it works as expected, I can't tell when it fails. By now I haven't found neither a way to reproduce that behaviour nor a workaround to fix it. Updateing the browser window, changing to a different theme and come back to "Vienna", restarting the browser, nothing was helpful so far. It seems that the issue happens more often than a while ago.
I noticed the issue with the latest Mozilla Firefox on Win10, with Edge on Win10,  with the Firefox clone "Fennec" on Android and with the pre-installed "Neo Browser" on my Boxx Tab Ultra C, on various devices. The issue happens on all of them. It seems to happen more often now than it did a while ago.

Any idea anybody? Am I the only one that faces this issue?

first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

The right image shows that you aren't logged into the forum, while the left image shows you are logged in. I'm guessing that's probably the only difference, unless it is also happening while you are logged in.
No, that's definitely not the cause for this issue:

(the left picture of the first post was from Firefox, the right was from Edge, this one was made with Fennec on Android)
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

I'll have to dig into the theme itself to get more information on this. It does seem strange though...

Mike
Looking at the developer console in Chrome, it shows that this is an error due to my server's CORS policy. So I'll have to see what I can do about that.

UPDATE:testthreads
I fixed some things related to the Vienna template and it all seems to work properly for me now. Let me know if it works for you as well now.

Thanks,
Mike
Great, thank you.
At first glance it looks as if the issue is gone. As it happened only sometimes and I could not reproduce it reliably I'm not completely sure.
Let's assume it is fixed and I'll come back to you in case it happens again.

It seems much better, especially on my Android phone. But yesterday and today it happened again on my Win10 laptop. Refreshing the page and restarting Firefox did not help

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you do a forced refresh to clear out cached information, does that fix it? This is what I can find on doing that:
  • Hold down the Shift key and left-click the Reload button
  • Press "Ctrl + F5" or press "Ctrl + Shift + R" (Windows,Linux)
  • Press "Command + Shift + R" (Mac)
  • "Clear the Cache":
  • Firefox > Preferences > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:
  • Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > "Use custom settings for history" > Cookies: "Show Cookies"

or

1. Open the developer toolbox (Ctrl+Shift+I or Cmd+Opt+I on Mac).
  2. Click the settings button (near the top right).
  3. Scroll down to the Advanced settings on the bottom right.
  4. Check the option "Disable Cache (when toolbox is open)".
  5. Refresh the page.

If neither of those helps, we may need to see what the developer console is saying in FireFox, as there is most likely an error of some kind displayed. It seemed to work fine in Firefox for me.

Mike
The issue diappeared without a willful action from my side. If it appears again I will try what you proposed.

It happens again, at least in Firefox on Win10. But I found a reliable workaround: after clicking "Forums", the second item in the page's menu at the top (instead of just refreshing the page) the activities column is filled again correctly. Just one click, so there's no need for any further action, just want to let you know.

Thanks for letting me know. I've made the only changes I can think of from my side (fixing issues related to the CORS policy).

Mike