• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Disappearing notes when returning to view score. Bug or setting??!
Help needed desperately!

I am deeply worried that I in a score lost a ton of useful penned-in notes from rehearsal (fingerings, agreements, reminders etc) just because I chose to view a bit fewer pages at the score in a setlist.whar
I wonder if it's a bug of the program or a somewhat unintuitive setting. I pray for the latter ... :-(

I have this 34-page score which i had penned in small things in blue and red in most pages. 
Now, at one instance I wanted to use that file in a setlist, but only view the first 8 pages, so I used the Edit-function to just display those (1-8)
However, when removing that view-option and going back to let MobileSheets show all 34 pages, all the penned in things have disappeared from pages 9-34. (They are still there in 1-8).

This is very troubling.
Is it a bug (if so, please MS, fix it for the love of God), or could someone help me to retrieve my missing penned-in notes?

Thanks in advance
from
First-time poster Ozzy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Help! I'm potentially in some real trouble.

I have written in quite a few annotations from many rehearsals in a score (reminders, fingerings, changes etc) with 34 pages. There have been several notes made in blue and red on every page.

A few days ago I wanted to include the score in a Setlist, but only the first 8 pages. Therefore I went to Edit and changed som that only page 1-8 was shown, and added the score to the setlist.
However now when I want to go back and view all the whole 34 pages again, all annotations have disappeared, and are only seen on pages 1-8. (I see all the pages 9-34 as usual, but only the original PDF, not everythingI added and scribbled down there)

See pictures.

Is this a bug, or have I stumbled upon some unintuitive setting that I don't know? 
I hope and pray for the latter ...  Sad

Btw I tested the whole procedure with another file (writing some test scribbles in a long score, editing the score show only a few pages, and then going back to view the whole thing. Lo and behold, exactly the same thing, all the annotations of the temporarily hidden pages disappeared!)

Could anyone help?
Please.

hopes
First-time-poster
Ozzy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you remove pages with the page order, those annotations are deleted because you've removed the pages they were associated with. You instead should long press the song on the library screen, tap "Copy Song", then modify the copy and add that to the setlist instead. This will preserve the original song. In the future, I will add support for song versioning so that you could just create a second version of the song to add to the setlist (this is planned for next year). You can also embed the annotations into the PDF itself, so then if you remove pages in the page order, the annotations are preserved as they are in the file itself.

If you want to recover your annotations, you have to go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Restore Automatic Database Backup and revert your library back to an earlier point. A backup is created every three days, so hopefully there is a recent one you can restore so that you won't lose much. 

Mike
Ok! Ah, I see.
Thank you Mike for answering, and clearing that up. And I´ve already made a habit of copying songs, in order to avoid mishaps like this.

I was a bit surprised, tbh. I really thought it was just a display option (the other pages were just "hidden" temporarily). How it can be that the non-displayed pages are "removed". You are after all able to get the pages back (simply by changing again to display all pages of the song), so they are clearly not deleted from the library in theirselves. But the annotations still disappear? 
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something fundamental here?

(Have no clue or knowledge whatsoever in programming etc)

sincerely
Oskar
Oskar,

It has to do with how MobileSheets stores information for pages. The annotations are not stored in the PDF itself - they are stored in the MobileSheets database, and they are tied to the page number that MobileSheets assigns. For example, if you assign a page order like "1,1,1,1", and you modify the annotations on the third page, MobileSheets saves the annotation information for page 3 (it's actually page 2 with 0-based indexing, but you can ignore that, as it's just how things work with indexing in some programming languages). This ensures that even though you have repeated page 1 four times, the annotations only show up on the third instance of that page. If the annotations were saved in the PDF itself, this would not be possible, as the same annotations would show up on every instance of page 1. 

So now lets say you modify the page order to this, "1,1". Well now you've removed page 3 where the annotations were assigned. What should MobileSheets do in this case? Should it delete them so there isn't all of this leftover information? Should it save them? Well what if you change the page order to "1,1,2"? Now the third page is back but it's a different PDF page, so having the annotations on that page wouldn't make any sense.  That is why MobileSheets clears out the information for pages that are removed from the page order - it will cause conflicts if the page order changes to something different, and it just causes bloat in the database if there is no reason to track that information anymore. 

Mike