• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batch Import
Hi Mike, thanks for considering adding some importt function to allow for importing data into Mobile Sheets going forward. I think a generic import function would be most useful so it can be used to do import into various tables in the metadata. What I mean is if the import function can just allow for the selection of which metadata the import is for, ie. Tempo BPM, Key, MIDI commands, Artist etc. and then use the title of the song as the matching criteria.  This way a text or csv file with the first value being the song title and the next being the data to be populated for that song can be setup by the user for the batch import. Hope this make sense.
MobileSheets already supports batch import with the ability to populate meta data according to the folder structure where the song files are stored and CSV import where you can specify almost any meta data in a CSV file. Does neither of these allow you to do what you want?
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(10-20-2023, 06:24 AM)itsme Wrote: MobileSheets already supports batch import with the ability to populate meta data according to the folder structure where the song files are stored and CSV import where you can specify almost any meta data in a CSV file. Does neither of these allow you to do what you want?

I'm new to Mobile Sheet so not an expert on using all the features and function of Mobile Sheet yet. Can you direct me to where I can find the detail instructions on how to do these imports.  My first task is to try and import a the MIDI commands to each song that I have uploaded to Mobile Sheets already and I have almost 1000 songs I need to add the MIDI commands to that's why I need an automated process to do this.  I can easily create a text file or csv file that have in each line the file name of the song and then the various parameters that I currently trying to enter into the MIDI page of each song manually but not sure how to do the import from this file into the Mobile Sheet database.

Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance .......
I can provide more information tomorrow (it's very late here), but there isn't an option at the moment to import MIDI commands in a batch fashion. The only way to do that would be to manipulate the database directly using SQLite queries yourself. If you know how to write database queries, then I can give you the relevant information, but otherwise you'll have to wait until I have time to implement a feature that supports what you are trying to do. When I support updating metadata through CSV files, I may add support for MIDI commands at that point in time, but it's still not the best format for certain times of MIDI messages, and the syntax is going to be somewhat complex in order to support everything.

Mike
Thanks Mike for the response.  I found the information on how to use csv file to upload some of the other information to the song metadata. The one thing I'm not totally clear on is you need the range pf pages used from the source file in the csv.  Does that mean the songs being updated with the metadata are all in one single pdf file in the Mobile Sheets storage as when I try it it ask me for the pdf file. I was trying to see whether I can use the csv file to update the tempo of the songs I already imported to Mobile Sheets. You are right, the MIDI commands are a bit more complex than the other metadata like artists, albums, genres, keys, tempos etc. that you already have a solution for importing.  I'm not an expert programmer so will have to leave that to the experts like yourself and will just wait until you have time to tackle my wish list down the road.

Thanks again.
No, you can't use a CSV to update existing metadata at this time. That's on my list of things to support. 

Mike
The ranges for pages in a .csv is specified as the page number or, if more than one page, a list of numbers separated by commas.  Consecutive numbers an be separated by a hyphen
Examples are 1 or 4-6 or 12-20,3,5

For windows (I only use the companion to manipulate my android tablet), I expect you can use common window operations to select multiple songs so that they can all be given the same meta data value e.g. Collection, Composer etc.  Not so useful for Tempo!

You should also be able to click on the metadata column headers to sort them ascending/descending order (you might have to enable the display of that metadata column first).
This is useful to identify songs that don't have that particular metadata field filled in i.e. ones to address.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Thanks Mike and Geoff.