• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CSV import 3.8.17 does not work
Hi Mike, 

I am facing a Problem with the csv import with the latest version. I could not see the Imported Songs. Just the loading wheel is turning..

See the video:
https://shorturl.at/sM025
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
Can you please send me that PDF and csv file? I've tested with 10 different files and it all seems to work fine for me, so I'm not sure why you would be encountering a problem. That PDF is only 471 bytes - I'm surprised you could have a file that small. Are you sure your PDF is not corrupted? I also saw that MobileSheets indicated that only page 1 could be used for every entry in the CSV file, indicating that it thinks the maximum number of pages is 1 in the PDF. Is that what you are expecting?

Thanks,
Mike
Oh i See... i think this is related to the new Page order ui. 
I was testing what will happen if i change the Page order and add songs within files that are imported via CSV. 
I afraid the original pdf was overwritten. And this causes the problem. After trying to to add a file in the new ui the song was gone, so i tried to reimport the csv and i was not aware of the file size.
I'm assuming you must have unchecked "Let MobileSheets Manage my Files", otherwise MobileSheets would never modify files outside the storage location.

Mike
Yes this is unchecked. 
Because i use my own folder System at the documents folder.
So After a few test...the new page ui does not work with Songs that are imported via csv. Whats kind of logical because there  is still just one pdf fille as starting point. 
But anyway msp allows you to do this, so tried it, and If you  combine two Songs (insert from library from the three dots at the page view) from this file Things are getting messy. 
I did not try to combine one song from an csv import and one normal import, but maybe Mike could test it? Or tell what will happen then? 
Maybe this related that i use my own folder System, but you cant tell at first if the song you are working on was an csv import.
I think before editing you should export all the songs as separate files.
Just changing the page order should have no impact on other files sharing the PDF. If you modify the PDF, then that's true that you are going to impact any other song that shares the same file. There really is no way around that except to allow the new PDF to be saved as a different name which would update the song to use the file with the new name. If you'd like me to add support for that, I can certainly do that. I can add a "Rename and save as new PDF" type option for this (I could go back to just using "Save as New PDF" for this option).

I also plan on adding an option for the CSV import to allow individual PDFs to be extracted from the original PDF so that every song is not sharing the same file. This can increase the amount of storage required, but it's probably not a significant difference to having the one larger file, especially if you don't use all of the pages from the larger file. 

Mike
CSV import works fine for me in 3.8.16 and 3.8.17 on Android. I didn't try Win10 yet.
"Let MobileSheets Manage My Files" is OFF, all files are in subfolders of the MS Storage Location.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Yes, I think the CSV import is okay, but I think McAroni is modifying the shared PDF using the page ordering UI by inserting one file into another file, which is going to throw off all the page numbers used by other songs that share the same PDF. In this scenario, I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. I could detect that the user is modifying a shared PDF and warn them, or I could ask if they want to save it as a different name to avoid conflicts. I think having a confirmation prompt for this is probably the right thing to do.

Mike
Specifically, I tried to inserting another song from the same csv import. Of course this doesn't work but the attempt alone completely overwrites the original file (that was the reason for the 471 byte pdf) and I had to delete all songs belonging to the csv import from the library before I could re-import them. I will make a video later.
So, in my opinion a warning is absolutely necessary, the possibility of a "save as" option would be great.
It sounds like MobileSheets should better use a new unique name for the changed PDF.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Here the link to the video:

https://shorturl.at/dGKPU

I did not confirm the changes but the Main file has already changed.
I agree with itsme.
Or:  If you have the choice to pick the filename you could always take the same name as the file had and overwrite the original file if it is this what you want.
And that's another good reason why I'm averse against this overwriting the PDF as default.

I still think my suggestion for a global overwrite/export dialog is a good one and useful for embedding the annotations or other PDF edit features you will implement, too.

Save as new PDF & swap / save and overwrite (with a warning if it's used for multiple songs)/ cancel
I can't support adding a file/blank page/template in the page ordering UI and not modify the original file. So I'm a little confused by what you are suggesting. I will add a warning when the save is going to impact songs that share a file (I've already added the code for this, just need to test it), but otherwise if a user utilizes those features, it's going to modify the original file. If you all truly believe I should warn the user that the changes they have made are going to modify their file even when that file is only used by a single song, I can do that, but I'll have to design it so that the warning has a "Don't warn me again" type option so that this doesn't become annoying, which it would probably would be for the vast majority of users. Alternatively, I can add an optional setting that users can enable to warn when a file will be overwritten, although I don't really see much value in that. I should mention again - if you insert a file into another file, and tap Save, the file that you added is placed at the end of the PDF, but the page order is updated to put the new pages where you inserted them. This means that this has no impact on existing annotations, link points or smart buttons (as the song editor will adjust everything to account for the new page order). So this is not a destructive action that will completely mess up a file beyond repair or anything of that nature. You could remove the new pages and then use the "Update file with current page order" option to permanently remove the pages that were added if needed.

I can also just default to saving a file under a new name if it's modified, but in the past I would modify users filenames, and they got really irritated by that. So I imagine if I started doing this, I imagine many users would be upset by their files being renamed without them knowing it. I could have an optional setting that says something like, "Prompt for new name if file is modified" or something of that nature which kind of doubles as a warning, but I just don't know if that's really warranted in the case where a file is only used by a single song.

Mike