• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIXED!!! windows 10, 20 seconds to load a song!!
Hi,

I am preparing to use a newer computer, going from a Lenovo Flex 4 to a Dell Inspiron , bigger screen, but same CPU i7 7500U.

On my Android the load time of a song is almost instantaneous and on the Lenovo laptop about 1 second.

Transferred to newer Dell computer using sync over wifi, all went ok with transfer.

However, it takes 20 seconds to load a song, any song, on this i7 computer with nothing else running.

Any ideas as to what I could try to fix this.

Sincerely,
Dan
Hello Dan,

That's very concerning that you are seeing load times like that. If you go to Settings->Display Settings->Render Preference and switch it between "Quality" and "Speed", does that have any impact on the issue? If not, if you uninstall and reinstall MobileSheets, does that change anything? Also, if you reinstall, try just first importing a single PDF and check the load time. I want to know if the load time is present with a fresh install without using your existing library. Hopefully we can figure this out.

Mike
Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Removed Mobilesheets and reinstalled.
Tried with a new library and setlist with just a few songs and it seems to work ok.
Reimporting the Library that was there before, brings the same result, i.e. long delays in showing a song.

However, jpgs seem to load within 1-2 seconds, pdfs take longer, about 7-10 seconds.
Pro files take the longest, sometimes doesn't load at all, even after a full minute.
Yet that same file, upon opening "Files" tab in configure fields screen, the program shows the file in the preview section;
just doesn't seem to load it.

I will try other things as soon as I get the chance, like starting a longer library from scratch,
but this is the situation at the moment. There is no rush as the other laptop works fine.

Dan
I may need to a library backup file from you (Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library) with your current library to see if there is something in the database that is loading very slowly. The fact that an empty library loads quickly means it's either something in the database that is slowing things down, or a lack of system resources (memory/RAM). It's strange that a PDF is loading so much slower than a jpg file though, because if it's a database issue, I would have expected them both to take the same amount of time to load...

Mike
I doubt it is this but try temporarily turning off your antivirus.

I use AVG on my windows desktop (MS is on an android tablet) and every time I recompile my delphi programs, AVG spends about 20 secs checking it out when it is first run.

Reading your post, you didn't say that you had tried switching from Quality to Speed (as Mike suggested)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Thanks for the suggestion, Geoff, I will try that.

Yes, switching from "Power Saving" to "High Performance" in "Graphics settings" did not change anything.
I could not find anything else to change in "Display Settings" or "Advanced display settings".

I will follow up tomorrow after starting a new Library from scratch to see if that fixes it.

Dan
MY BAAADD!!!!   Duh!!!

The option to always load the whole setlist was "ON".
Much sorry for my mistake, that is all it was.

Dan
I'm glad to hear that it was something fairly simple to change. It is true that the time to load an entire setlist will grow with each additional song, but this usually isn't a large factor until the setlist is quite large. How many songs are in the setlist? I'm just curious to get a sense of why it was taking 7-10 seconds to load.

Thanks,
Mike
The set list has 123 songs, but each of them has several audio files, a few as many as 10, 
but most will have 2 to 5 audio files, i.e. a drum file, a few backtrack files and a few to listen to different versions.

I don't if this can make a difference but they all have a smart button to start one of the backtracks.

Dan
Use several smaller set lists to make up a gig?
This would mean that you are not loading so much at a time (but slightly less covenient perhaps)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I don't think the number of audio files should have created any kind of problem, as MobileSheets only ever loads one audio track at a time. It's possible there is a lot of information to read out of the database though, and the something may be impacting the read/query speeds... I'd have to have your library to really investigate any further.

Mike
Hi, I have a similar problem. My files are all chordpro (.cho), and I have the exact same problem. In a setlist with 100 songs (Always Load Whole Setlist ENABLED), the time to open the list is very long (about 14 sec) (tested on two different PCs). If I uncheck Chords in Text Display Settings, for all songs, the time to load 100 songs is about 4 sec.
With chord pro files, MobileSheets loads every single chord pro file when the setlist is first loaded, so it's parsing out all of the information, laying out all the pages, etc. This means that everything will load quickly when you traverse through the setlist, but the initialization time will be longer. With the introduction of the pango markup syntax support, this has slowed down the parsing a bit, which may be more noticeable with a large number of files. There are a couple of potential workarounds - reduce the setlist size, create a temporary song and use the new page ordering UI to combine all of the chord pro files into a single PDF and load that, or only load each song individually in the setlist. I can also look into optimizations for chord pro files, but the main reason they all have to be parsed out initially is so that I can determine the total number of pages for the setlist. One potential thing I could change is I could give users the option to load chord pro files on demand, but MobileSheets would then used the cache page number (whatever was read out of the database at startup), but then would parse the file and deal with page number differences when needed (which could dynamically change the number of pages in the setlist, but this is also true if you rotate your tablet, for example).

Mike
(11-17-2023, 07:14 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: With chord pro files, MobileSheets loads every single chord pro file when the setlist is first loaded, so it's parsing out all of the information, laying out all the pages, etc. This means that everything will load quickly when you traverse through the setlist, but the initialization time will be longer. With the introduction of the pango markup syntax support, this has slowed down the parsing a bit, which may be more noticeable with a large number of files. There are a couple of potential workarounds - reduce the setlist size, create a temporary song and use the new page ordering UI to combine all of the chord pro files into a single PDF and load that, or only load each song individually in the setlist. I can also look into optimizations for chord pro files, but the main reason they all have to be parsed out initially is so that I can determine the total number of pages for the setlist. One potential thing I could change is I could give users the option to load chord pro files on demand, but MobileSheets would then used the cache page number (whatever was read out of the database at startup), but then would parse the file and deal with page number differences when needed (which could dynamically change the number of pages in the setlist, but this is also true if you rotate your tablet, for example).

Mike

The only reason I want the whole setlist to load, is because I use the SETLIST WINDOW a lot, so I can easily move between the songs in the setlist when performing live. Could the SETLIST WINDOW always contain the songs in the active setlist, regardless of whether "ALWAYS LOAD WHOLE SETLIST" is selected?
Another option could be, instead of using the "SETLIST WINDOW", use the "SHOW LIBRARY WINDOW", that works pretty well. The only downside is that, after selecting a song, the LIBRARY WINDOW resets its position, showing again the list from the beginning. And it does not mark the title of the song you currently viewing.
I thought that the main purpose for a setlist was to present songs in a specified order that you play from top to bottom.
Your description implies it is just a group of songs you would like to play (without worrying about the order)

Could you not put all your gig songs into a "temporary" collections and display that?

You would then be able to use the index letters to move around 

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6