• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how our jazz workshop works
At the moment we work from pdf's stored on a shared Google Drive folder. People who are members of the Google Group belonging to the jazz workshop have read and write access to this folder. Most people print out the pdf's and since there are about 200 songs that's quite a lot of paper. When alterations or chord substitutions are made this means everybody has to get out their pencil and those who are absent don't get the update. I would like to encourage the adoption of MobileSheets by the jazz workshop. 

I'm trying to figure out how it would work. With MobileSheets the songs are stored locally on each member's device. How can alterations be synced automatically? It seems you need to send a specific updated file, but perhaps I am wrong? 

Instead of a Google Drive - centric storage, i.e. cloud storage (or bits of paper) we need to move to the distributed storage of MobileSheets.

I am sure there is a way but since I'm new to Mobile Sheets perhaps somebody could light the way.

thanks
There is no automatic synchronization in MobileSheets at the moment - that's something I'm going to look into supporting next year. At the moment, each user has to manually sync to a cloud folder if that's how you want to manage it. Alternatively, with some additional setup/configuration, you could use a standard file sync to a folder you manage yourself on the device, and each user would just run the file sync, but this would be an all-or-nothing approach, meaning each device would be forced to have the same changes as every other device (I'm not sure if that's what you want, or if you want each user to have their own annotations, for instance). If you don't need to sync metadata or anything else that's managed in the MobileSheets database (meaning you just care about everyone having the same PDFs), you could instead use Import->Batch Import and have users import the entire cloud folder periodically to pull in all the new files. As long as the option to ignore duplicate songs is checked, you would only pull in new files. Some users rely on this approach when they only care about the files and don't need to synchronize other things in the library.

Mike
(11-15-2023, 04:16 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: There is no automatic synchronization in MobileSheets at the moment - that's something I'm going to look into supporting next year. At the moment, each user has to manually sync to a cloud folder if that's how you want to manage it. Alternatively, with some additional setup/configuration, you could use a standard file sync to a folder you manage yourself on the device, and each user would just run the file sync, but this would be an all-or-nothing approach, meaning each device would be forced to have the same changes as every other device (I'm not sure if that's what you want, or if you want each user to have their own annotations, for instance). If you don't need to sync metadata or anything else that's managed in the MobileSheets database (meaning you just care about everyone having the same PDFs), you could instead use Import->Batch Import and have users import the entire cloud folder periodically to pull in all the new files. As long as the option to ignore duplicate songs is checked, you would only pull in new files. Some users rely on this approach when they only care about the files and don't need to synchronize other things in the library.

Mike
Very comprehensive reply and food for thought. Thanks Mike.