• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non Touchscreen
My daughter has a bit of a vision problem so I am thinking of getting a cheap 17 inch Chromebook to help her.
I was originally thinking a Samsung S9 Ultra tablet at 14 inches but then realised a Chromebook would be bigger and cheaper.

The cheap ones do not seem to have touch screen. I'm just wondering how important a touchscreen is to have?

We do not really make annotations on our sheet music so that is not very important to us. 
I'm thinking about zooming/cropping etc.
It depends a little on how you plan to handle page turning. If you wanted to be able to tap/swipe, then obviously a touchscreen would be pretty important. If you already plan on getting a bluetooth pedal and you want that to be the primary way to turn pages, then a touchscreen may not be as critical. In general, I would advise getting a touchscreen. I think it will be much easier to use than having to rely on a mouse/keyboard with a chromebook. Also, zooming in MobileSheets is really designed around a pinch gesture - there isn't an easy way to zoom with a mouse/keyboard, as I haven't added anything like a zooming tool. Cropping doesn't require a touchscreen though.

Mike
Just to add, these days it's possible to get quite large touch portable screens which (should) work with phones, Chromebook, pc etc... for quite low cost. If, for example, you had an old android phone to run MS, this might (I've not tried it, but will at some point) work.

From a user point of view, touch gestures are almost indispensable.
(12-02-2023, 12:06 AM)lesacks Wrote: Just to add, these days it's possible to get quite large touch portable screens which (should) work with phones, Chromebook, pc etc... for quite low cost. If, for example, you had an old android phone to run MS, this might (I've not tried it, but will at some point) work.

From a user point of view, touch gestures are almost indispensable.

Well. I got to try out a no-name touch, external, usb-c monitor. 

For the record. 

The device worked fine on a laptop and normal Chromebook (Asus flip)

On the Lenovo, first gen, duet Chromebook... It's a bit of a mess. Full resolution didn't work. The docking and floating Android apps was a mess. In portrait, no apps could used the full height. Etc etc. 

Not a direction I'd suggest for the feint of heart.