• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metronome enhancement request
Hi, 

I've been using MS for a few months now and I'm thrilled with the program !!

I want to be clear that I am suggesting enhancements, not complaining in any way.

My suggestions are:

1) I would like to see the current tempo setting next to the icons in the upper left corner of the screen.  Sometimes I start practicing for the day and I want, say 120 beats per minute.  I can't remember where I left off the day before so I have to open the metronome screen to check.  It would be nicer if the setting was just displayed so I knew where I was at.  I have found myself struggling to play a section in the past, only to realize that the metronome was set faster than I thought it was.

2) It would be nice to add a dialog box that would allow typing the tempo in numerically.  It is difficult to set an exact tempo with the slider.  If I want to change from 60 to 120 I have to try to slide close to 120 then tap the + or - repeatedly to get 120.  With a numeric input I could simply type 1,2,0 and be done.  FYI- The app Tonal Energy has what I'm trying to describe if you want to see that.

Thanks so much for your consideration,

-Steve
For the second question: if you tap on the number next to "Tempo:" at the Metronome, then a dialog Box appears where you could type in your tempo
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
(12-21-2023, 05:11 AM)McAroni Wrote: For the second question: if you tap on the number next to "Tempo:" at the Metronome, then a dialog Box appears where you could type in your tempo

Well son of a gun, it does !!

Thanks for the tip.

I went back to see if I missed that in the documentation, but it doesn't appear to be in the user manual.

Thanks again for the quick response  Smile
Adding a tempo display is on my list. The manual is lacking information on a few small features and shortcuts, so I'll get to that when I have time.

Thanks,
Mike
(12-21-2023, 07:26 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Adding a tempo display is on my list. The manual is lacking information on a few small features and shortcuts, so I'll get to that when I have time.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Mike !

So I used the tempo dialog box, and I have one last suggestion (I promise  Smile  )

The only reason anyone would open the tempo dialog would be to change the tempo, so I would rather see the number field blank, with focus.  As it currently is the user has to open the dialog, clear out the current value, then enter the new value.  Instead why not just open the dialog and be ready for a new number to be entered ?

I know I'm nitpicking, it's just my nature...
The problem is that putting focus on the text field will cause the virtual keyboard to be displayed. I was trying to avoid that for a user that just wanted to drag the slider or tap the -/+, as the virtual keyboard will push the whole dialog up. This isn't a big deal on a larger display, but is more of an issue on a small display like on a phone. So what I will do is automatically focus the field on larger devices to allow for faster text entry.

Mike
(12-21-2023, 07:48 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The problem is that putting focus on the text field will cause the virtual keyboard to be displayed. I was trying to avoid that for a user that just wanted to drag the slider or tap the -/+, as the virtual keyboard will push the whole dialog up. This isn't a big deal on a larger display, but is more of an issue on a small display like on a phone. So what I will do is automatically focus the field on larger devices to allow for faster text entry.

Mike

Mike, 

Ahh, makes perfect sense.

That Sir, is why you are the developer and I am just the user...  Smile
So I downloaded the latest version of MS and viola, the text field change I requested for the metronome was implemented.

Thank you Mike !!!

It may seem like a trivial issue, but I use the metronome every day during my practice sessions, and I really appreciate the change.

Thank you for your prompt response to my request !!

-Steve
You are very welcome - I always try to throw in small changes like this when I can, as I know they all add up over time. I appreciate you providing the feedback!

Mike
(12-27-2023, 12:26 AM)SteveB Wrote: So I downloaded the latest version of MS and viola, the text field change I requested for the metronome was implemented.

Thank you Mike !!!

It may seem like a trivial issue, but I use the metronome every day during my practice sessions, and I really appreciate the change.

Thank you for your prompt response to my request !!

-Steve

I was using MS on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 Ultra.  Samsung offered me a killer trade in deal so I upgraded to the Tab 9 Ultra.  Now the text field change for the metronome doesn't work anymore.

When I received the 9 Ultra I used Samsung's utility to transfer all the settings from my 8 Ultra to the 9 Ultra.  So far as I can see all the settings are the same between the 2 tablets.

This is an intermittent problem.  I can change tempo's 7 or 8 times and the keyboard does not automatically appear, then suddenly it will, and I have no idea why.  Once the keyboard appears, it does so for the rest of that practice session.  Then I exit MS, and put everything away for the day.  The next day the keyboard does not popup when I try to change a tempo.

I understand that finding intermittent problems is a daunting task, and I'm not asking you to jump on this right away.  However, I did want to mention it in case you happen to stumble on something when you are working on the metronome.

Thanks so much,

-Steve
I just happened to stumble on something interesting about this.

Since a video is worth 1000 words, watching this might be easier than me trying to write a paragraph about it:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mb3bkwx0r...lhsh7&dl=0
It is the same for me in my Tab S7. 
But i am not sure if the keyboard ever came up as soon as you tap the number.

Mike wrote a view posts up:

The problem is that putting focus on the text field will cause the virtual keyboard to be displayed. I was trying to avoid that for a user that just wanted to drag the slider or tap the -/+, as the virtual keyboard will push the whole dialog up. 
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
I have this fixed for the next update. 

Thanks,
Mike