• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scene select Roland Fantom 08 with MobileSheets in iPad connected to MIDI
Music 
Hi, I play keys on a Roland Fantom-08 (0-series) and use MobileSheets for the sheet music. I often create a playlist on both the Fantom and in MobileSheets. Then at performance time I need to both select the Scene on the Fantom and go the next song in MobileSheets. I want that if I select a song in MobileSheets that the Scene on the Fantom is automatically selected by using MIDI commands. And if I go the the next song this will automatically go to the Scene on the Fantom.

I have the following connection:
iPad (with MobileSheets) -> Lightning to USB camera adapter -> USB to MIDI cable -> MIDI IN of Roland Fantom

I have found out that when I edit a song in MobileSheets I can send MIDI commands (on the MIDI tab) to a MIDI device. 

According to the Fantom 06/07/08 Sound list PDF (available here: https://www.roland.com/nl/support/by_pro...s_manuals/) I should use the following settings to send a scene select command for, for example Scene A011 Ghost+Alone:
MSB: 85
LSB: 0
PC: 11

In Apple MainStage this should work according to the official video of Roland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtgnRsPRDFs

If I configure this in MobileSheets and use the test button, then nothing happens. If I frequently press the test button, then eventually a scene is selected, but this is off by one, because Scene A010 is selected instead of A011 and it is not always in the correct bank as well. It looks like the PC value in MobileSheets is zero-based and the documentation is one based. Well, this is annoying, I can live with that.

The issue is eventually it does not work at all in MobileSheets when I select a song with these MIDI command configured. One the MIDI cable I can see a blinking LED for a short period. But the Fantom is not responding to it.

Do you have any suggestions to make this work reliably?
Without having more information, it sounds to me almost like one of those connectors is faulty. The problem is that we don't have enough information in order to understand where the fault lies. MobileSheets is just using Apple's CoreMIDI classes to do the sending/receiving of MIDI messages, so it's unlikely there is a software issue in terms of how the messages are being constructed (as MobileSheets works fine with other MIDI devices). So then we need to gather the following information:

1) If you use a different application such as SongBook+, do you encounter the same issue with sending the MIDI messages? This will just help us determine if it's isolated to MobileSheets
2) Do you have another tablet or device you can connect to the keyboard to test the MIDI connection? 
3) Can you try connecting over Bluetooth to the device? This would require something like a CME WIDI Bud or WIDI Jack.
4) Does the Roland Fantom have a USB MIDI input? Or does it only have the 5-pin DIN connection?

Thanks,
Mike