• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature requests and possible bugs
Hello,

thank you for the app, I find it much more robust and reliable than forScore. I seem to have found some bugs, but let me know if everything works expected:
  • When using vertical scrolling mode and zooming in, I can only pan up/down but not sideways.
  • When page turn by tapping on sides is disabled, it’s not possible to show/hide the overlay by tapping on sides.
  • The three dots button (multitasking) on iPad makes it harder to click on some icons in annotation mode, because it opens split/side view options. I tried to show this on the screenshot, the red area opens the multitasking menu.
  • [Image: 2DJBvzj.jpg]
  • Zooming in/out in vertical scroll mode sometimes centers the page I'm trying to use zoom on. For example, if I have half of one page and half of another page on the screen, and then try to zoom in one of them, that page sometimes gets centered and fills the entire screen.

Also I have some suggestions/feature requests (mostly QoL things from forScore):
  • I think it would be nice to be able to zoom out using double tap, I think it’s the default behavior on Apple devices, and it’s hard to break this habit.
  • One thing I miss from forScore is the tie/slur and square pedal marking (see the screenshot).
  • [Image: hB5dPt4.jpg]
  • When opening the overlay, the PDF jumps around quickly, perhaps it would feel nicer if it had some animation and moved together with the overlay.
  • Show the default top bar (with time, date, battery level, etc).

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
Small update after using the app a bit more:

Quote:
  • The three dots button (multitasking) on iPad makes it harder to click on some icons in annotation mode, because it opens split/side view options. I tried to show this on the screenshot, the red area opens the multitasking menu.
It’s possible to enable “Adjust for stage manager” in the annotation settings to move the toolbar lower, seems that it’s not covered by the manual.

Quote:
  • Show the default top bar (with time, date, battery level, etc).
Can be enabled in the Display settings by disabling “Fullscreen mode”. One minor thing is that it always has black background instead of adapting to the app color.

And extra question:
  • When I create a snippet of some pages from a bigger PDF, it creates a “reference” to those pages instead of creating a new copy,  but annotations are stored differently for the original file and the snippet. Is it possible to also share annotations (i.e. when I annotate the snippet it also annotates the original PDF)?
Hello,

I'll respond to each comment below:

When using vertical scrolling mode and zooming in, I can only pan up/down but not sideways.

It's designed this way to prevent accidental panning, as the idea is that users wouldn't be zooming and panning while playing a score in a performance (the page should already be set up as the user wants it to be, and it's generally better to use cropping than zooming to remove margins). You can pan with a two finger gesture though if desired. I should mention that with the single page display mode, you can go into the Zoom/Pan settings, enable "Reset pan and zoom on load", and then if you zoom in on a page, you can pan it with a single finger. You won't be able to turn the page until you zoom back out though. A two finger tap resets the zoom by default.

When page turn by tapping on sides is disabled, it’s not possible to show/hide the overlay by tapping on sides.

This is an oversight. I'll fix that for the next update - thanks.

Zooming in/out in vertical scroll mode sometimes centers the page I'm trying to use zoom on. For example, if I have half of one page and half of another page on the screen, and then try to zoom in one of them, that page sometimes gets centered and fills the entire screen.

I'll have to dig into this one. Some of the layout logic for ensuring pages don't end up in an invalid state is probably getting triggered in an undesired way, resetting the page to be aligned with the top of the screen.

I think it would be nice to be able to zoom out using double tap, I think it’s the default behavior on Apple devices, and it’s hard to break this habit.

While I can certainly consider supporting that, it does mean that single taps will be processed slower, because I always have to wait to ensure the user isn't double tapping before processing a single tap. So my preference is to keep the app more responsive and use a two finger tap to reset the zoom, but if enough users want the double tap, I can certainly support it. I could also make it configurable in the touch settings to keep everyone happy.

One thing I miss from forScore is the tie/slur and square pedal marking

One of the updates is going to be dedicated to adding more functionality in the annotation editor including slurs, pedal markings, more staff options, etc.

When opening the overlay, the PDF jumps around quickly, perhaps it would feel nicer if it had some animation and moved together with the overlay.

This one is problematic, as the app just performs a layout pass after the overlay is displayed, causing pages to immediately shrink down. Having that be animated requires slow changes over time, so it would require changing a fair amount of code. Having said that, I agree that it would look a lot nicer to have it be animated.

When I create a snippet of some pages from a bigger PDF, it creates a “reference” to those pages instead of creating a new copy,  but annotations are stored differently for the original file and the snippet. Is it possible to also share annotations (i.e. when I annotate the snippet it also annotates the original PDF)?

You'd have to embed the annotations in the first song (which can be done through the annotations editor), and have both songs share the same file. That's the only way to ensure the same annotations are always displayed in both.

Mike
I was able to adjust the code on Android (working on Windows and iOS next) to animate the page shrinking/expanding as the overlay is shown/hidden, and it definitely looks much better. Thanks for the feedback on that!

Mike
Thanks for the detailed reply, I’m glad that my feedback was helpful!
Hello, here is a list of glitches and questions, with most important first:

• Embed annotations: I clicked it, applied to all 27 pages of the piece. It didn't embed them. Now, in annotation mode, "saving annotations, please wait" pops up every 10 seconds even after restarting the app.
  • Tablet orientation is always recognized as Portrait, even though I've checked all the settings in MobileSheets (Orientation Lock, Device Orientation Lock) and the iPad. The app rotates correctly, but the page display settings are not differentiated in the two orientations.
  • Favorites bar and command bar. Adding tools works. Deleting tools usually doesn't work, or deletes a different random one in the middle that I didn't select.
  • Color picker doesn't work correctly (compared to in other apps), or chooses a very dark color.
  • In snipping tool, after I paste the selection, I click the nudge tool (arrow sliders). What is the pushpin for, and what is the 1x...5x? Clicking 2x etc. doesn't resize or do anything.
  • Never use "allow touch input in stylus mode" because the page jumps around a huge amount compared to in other apps
  • A green light indicates that the camera is active in MobileSheets. I don't have face gestures turned on anymore, but maybe the camera is running and draining the battery. Maybe it only indicates that the iPad has permission. I fixed it by turning off and on the iPad permission.
iPad Pro 12.9" 5th gen, iPadOS17. Samsung tablet, Android14. Samsung cell phone (Note10Lite), Android13.
My iPad correctly differentiates between portrait and landscape. For example, if I open the display mode dialog, then rotate the tablet, it goes from displaying the orientation as "Portrait" to "Landscape". If different display modes are used in each orientation, it correctly switches between them. So I'm not sure how to reproduce what you are describing at the moment.

I also cannot reproduce any issues with deleting favorites using the favorites window. I'm going to need specific steps to reproduce this or a short video demonstrating it. If I added three tools, then enable the reorder toggle at the bottom left, then tap the X twice (once to initiate, the second time to confirm) for each tool, they are all deleted like I would expect. The command bar does not support deleting favorites, so I'm not sure what you mean by it malfunctioning. If you are saying the selection doesn't seem right, once again, I'll need some steps for how to reproduce that, as it seems to work reliably for me. 

As far as the color picker, your description is too vague. If you have opacity decreased for the tool, that may explain why the colors aren't matching what you want. Make sure the opacity is set to 100%, otherwise it's going to look more faint, and it will also blend with the background colors of the page. If you are seeing some other problem, I need specific examples of the problems you are seeing. If I pick a color, the color drawn with the tool exactly matches that.

The pin icon indicates how many pixels the selected annotation will be moved when you press on the nudge tool arrows. 5x means it will move 5x as far, and if you hold down an arrow, it will effectively move 5x faster.

As far as the face detection, I the code was pausing the active ARSession, but apparently Apple's framework may leave the camera in an active state for some reason. I'm modifying the code to completely destroy the session if the user switches screens or turns off the face gesture detection. Hopefully this will resolve that issue.

Mike