• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug report? Arrow head overlaying filters
Since my upgrade to V3.8.24 I've noticed that when on the library page, in the field areas of the:
Source:
Key:
and
Collection:
filters the down arrow head overlays the last character* in the field.

Sometimes it's the last 2 characters.
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X
That's odd - I don't see that on my Samsung Tab S4. Is this on your Tab X? Do I need to test on an e-ink device to see this? Did you update the firmware? What DPI are you using in the optimization settings for MobileSheets (long press the MobileSheets icon on the home page and then Optimize App).

Thanks,
Mike
(12-30-2023, 04:57 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: That's odd - I don't see that on my Samsung Tab S4. Is this on your Tab X? Do I need to test on an e-ink device to see this? Did you update the firmware? What DPI are you using in the optimization settings for MobileSheets (long press the MobileSheets icon on the home page and then Optimize App).

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
yes this is the TabX (it's all I have for an electronic music stand at the moment).

DPI setting is 350 which I assume is a default as I haven't changed this.  Thinking about it I'm not sure this is optimal as the e-Ink screen on the TabX is rated at 207ppi...  What do you advise for this?

About the only things I've changed in the TabX's configuration is the screen "Auto sleep" timer which I changed to 30 min and I muted and/or lowered the volume on everything.  Oh, and the networking configs...

You reminded me that I just did the most recent firmware update, but unfortunately I can't tell you if the problem occurred prior to the firmware update.
Initially, it seemed that the problem only affected the 3 fields I mentioned:
Source, Key and Collection.  
The other fields appeared fine with the arrow head a couple of spaces to the right of the "y" of "Any"

However, I just did some quick testing: 
In the "Search:" location I checked all the options and they're fine except for "Custom Group" which is the longest one.
I note that the arrow head is always in the same horizontal location on the screen, and the spacing between the last letter of each option name and the arrow head changes to reflect the different option name lengths.
The same appears to be true for "Source" except the source name moves left, but doesn't move the arrow head away from the last character(s)
Ditto for "Key" however, because there are single letter options in key, sometimes the arrow head doesn't overlap the field contents.
Also ditto for "Collection:" except that longer collection names move the other screen content to the right, but don't result in preventing the overlap.
"Genre" seems to behave much the same as "Search:"  In this case field contents 7 characters and longer overlap the arrowhead.
"Diff" and "Rating" are both short content fields so the problem doesn't appear.

Hopefully that's helpful.
I can't reproduce the issue on my BOOX Lumi. I'm really not sure what to do about this, as it seems like either a firmware or settings issue based on your description, almost as if the font length is being measured incorrectly. I tested with both normal length names as well as extremely wrong names (which are truncated with three ellipsis), but saw no issues with text overlapping the arrows. If you drop the dpi to something like 270, do you see the same problem?

Thanks,
Mike
G'day Mike,
dropped the DPI all the way down to 207 (to match the ppi of the display).  The only change was everything got smaller.

So I tested at the 270 you suggested and I also went up to 420, and finally back to the original 350 - All results were the same: the text scaled according to the DPI count and all other behaviours remained constant.

Changed system font from Roboto Medium to Roboto, and then back to Roboto Medium - no change other than overall font weight.  Changed font size from Standard to small, then large, and extra large, and back to standard and all that happened is the arrowhead seemed to cover slightly more or less width of the letters in the field.

This isn't impacting functionality, but it doesn't look very pretty either.
I guess I'll have to get a newer e-ink tablet at some point if Onyx is going to have such major differences between their models. Are any other Boox Tab X users seeing this same problem? It would help to have verification of this from multiple users.

Thanks,
Mike
I can see the same issue on my Lumi2

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Can either of you please try running any other Android application that has a standard dropdown in it? I'm completely baffled by this, as I'm just using a standard Spinner component in Android, and the rendering of the font and dropdown arrow is all handled inside Google's code. That's not something I have control over. So it sure seems to me like Onyx broke something with one of their latest firmware updates on newer devices. My BOOX Max Lumi has the latest firmware, and I don't see this behavior. If Onyx broke this, then there is nothing I can do to fix it on my end. Does every dropdown in all of MobileSheets have this same problem? If you enter the song editor, tap the "Settings" action at the top of the screen and look at the dropdowns on the Song Editor Settings dialog, do they overlap in the same manner? That just helps me determine if it's affecting every dropdown across the entire application or only the dropdowns on the library screen.

Thanks,
Mike
Do you know any simple App with such a Dropdown menu? I have no for now

The Song Editor Setting looks fine.

Regards,
Stephan

That's good news. Then it may have something to do with how the dropdowns on the library screen are populated and updated. Without a reliable way to reproduce this though, I'm either going to have to rely on users to test out changes for me, or wait until I have a device that exhibits the same issue.

Thanks,
Mike
I can help you testing. Just tell me what to do
(12-31-2023, 04:04 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Can either of you please try running any other Android application that has a standard dropdown in it?
<snip>
Does every dropdown in all of MobileSheets have this same problem?
<snip>
If you enter the song editor, tap the "Settings" action at the top of the screen and look at the dropdowns on the Song Editor Settings dialog, do they overlap in the same manner? That just helps me determine if it's affecting every dropdown across the entire application or only the dropdowns on the library screen.

Thanks,
Mike
In the song editor, Settings action, if I select the apply crop dropdown, and then select the longest one "All pages in all files of current song", the overlap occurs.
I assume because it's the only one long enough to reach the horizontal position of the arrowhead.

From the library page, I selected the circled arrowhead that takes you to "Additional Filters" and "Composers", "Albums", "Artists", "Years", "Signatures" and "Custom Group" have the arrowhead overlapping the "y" in "Any".  
"Metronome" seems OK until you select ""Not Configured" which then overlaps.  "Audio Files" does the same thing with the "Has No Audio Files" setting.

I opened "Fakebook Pro", which I purchased before I discovered it couldn't do what I needed, and it exhibits the same problem on the opening page with the "All songs" dropdown.
This appears to exonerate MS and means that the recent firmware update is the most probable culprit.

I couldn't find any other app on my system that uses these dropdowns - I purchased the Tab X for the sole purpose of being an electronic music stand and don't use it for anything else, at least at the moment...
kabakakao - I will send a link to a test installer that tries to add additional padding on the right side of every field. I have no idea if this will stop the overlap or not. It depends on the nature of the problem.

Lawrie - Thank you so much for checking that. It definitely sounds like Onyx messed something up in the OS related to the Spinner control in the Android framework. I would try contacting Onyx, but they have been ignoring for me for the last year. So I no longer have a contact that will respond to me. Maybe if users report the issues they will pay attention.

Mike
The issue did not come up with the latest MobileSheets version. On my Boox Tab Ultra C I still have MobileSheets 3.8.14 and the problem is already there.
The Boox Tab version is 2023-11-22_07-29_3.5_9

first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(12-31-2023, 06:39 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: <snip>
Lawrie - Thank you so much for checking that. It definitely sounds like Onyx messed something up in the OS related to the Spinner control in the Android framework. I would try contacting Onyx, but they have been ignoring for me for the last year. So I no longer have a contact that will respond to me. Maybe if users report the issues they will pay attention.
No problems Mike, glad I could find another app that demonstrated the same issue.

I've sent some feedback to Onyx, let's see if they do anything about it or not.