• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yamaha foot switch to select next page
Hi everyone, this my first time visit here. I have a Yamaha SX700 keyboard with a foot-switch, I want use this to turn my sheet music pages in MobileSheets each time it is pressed. I’ve set up my model in the ms settings and can also see commands being sent from my foot-switch. Can anybody help guide me, to select each music page whenever I actuate the foot-switch. Thanks in advance.
Hey Dupe,

welcome to the forum!

Most users of MobileSheets that want to turn pages with a pedal use a bluetooth pedal, but if I understand correctly you want the footswitch pedal that is cable-connected to your keyboard to control page turns in MobileSheets. I assume from what you are saying that you already have a midi connection from your keyboard to MobileSheets.

Then you can set it up to turn your pages by going to settings -> MIDI settings -> MIDI actions -> press + -> action: dropdown, select "to next page", then you have to set the right MIDI message either with + or by finding out which MIDI message you need on the 3rd icon on the right.

I believe this should work, but I have not used MIDI actions in MobileSheets yet so just try it out, I hope it works!
Hi Dupe,

Not sure how new you are to psr SX700 and/or mobilesheets ....

What MB10 describes should work if you want to use that pedal for advancing pages in MS, however most people use a keyboard connected pedal for other things, such as for sustain , or to move to the next registration button in a registration file, or to trigger a rhytm brake ....

Facial gestures were also recently introduced in MS as an alternative to pedals to perform actions such as page turns.  It is currently only available on more recent iPads, though support may be added for older devices as well. If it is available on your device you should see a section for it in the Settings of MobileSheets.

Specifiying your keyboard as a Genos/psr SXxxx in MS is only necessary if you want to link songs in MobileSheets to registration files on the keyboard, so that loading a song in MS will instruct the keyboard to automatically load the corresponding registration file for that song (and vice versa). For all other types of MIDI communication (such as the one you were refering to with that pedal) it is not really necessary to specify your keyboard type in MS (though of course it does not hurt to do so)

Rudy
(01-02-2024, 08:35 PM)MB10 Wrote: Hey Dupe,

welcome to the forum!

Most users of MobileSheets that want to turn pages with a pedal use a bluetooth pedal, but if I understand correctly you want the footswitch pedal that is cable-connected to your keyboard to control page turns in MobileSheets. I assume from what you are saying that you already have a midi connection from your keyboard to MobileSheets.

Then you can set it up to turn your pages by going to settings -> MIDI settings -> MIDI actions -> press + -> action: dropdown, select "to next page", then you have to set the right MIDI message either with + or by finding out which MIDI message you need on the 3rd icon on the right.

I believe this should work, but I have not used MIDI actions in MobileSheets yet so just try it out, I hope it works!

Hi, MB10, thanks for your replay, I configured the pedal for sustain, but rarely use it, so I've altered the settings for MS functions only. I will try out what you suggest. Kind regards Dupe
(01-02-2024, 11:14 PM)Rey_a Wrote: Hi Dupe,

Not sure how new you are to psr SX700 and/or mobilesheets ....

What MB10 describes should work if you want to use that pedal for advancing pages in MS, however most people use a keyboard connected pedal for other things, such as for sustain , or to move to the next registration button in a registration file, or to trigger a rhytm brake ....

Facial gestures were also recently introduced in MS as an alternative to pedals to perform actions such as page turns.  It is currently only available on more recent iPads, though support may be added for older devices as well. If it is available on your device you should see a section for it in the Settings of MobileSheets.

Specifiying your keyboard as a Genos/psr SXxxx in MS is only necessary if you want to link songs in MobileSheets to registration files on the keyboard, so that loading a song in MS will instruct the keyboard to automatically load the corresponding registration file for that song (and vice versa). For all other types of MIDI communication (such as the one you were refering to with that pedal) it is not really necessary to specify your keyboard type in MS (though of course it does not hurt to do so)

Rudy
Thanks for your reply, I'm fairly new to both MS and my SX700, My pedal was set up for sustain, but now for use with MS as a page-turner. I have a collection of music sheets loaded onto my iPad using the MS app. The pedal communicates with MS  to select my sheet music titles, so at least I know it works, however, it only has to work as a page-turner. MB posted some settings for me to try out, and will post back the results. Regards Dupe
After going through the settings in MS, managed to select my music pages(Go to next) . However I also noticed one of my reg keys selects a different music sheet? So need to look into that. 
Anyway have made some progress. Dupe
Shocked 
I've taken a completely new approach regarding page-turning on my iPad, instead of using my Yamaha sustain pedal which has not been that successful for page-turning. I'm making a new three-pedal foot switch using an old corded computer mouse, the left and right mouse switches are set to turn my sheet music, left press (page back) and right press (page forward) works fine, and the third button would be ideal for selecting the library, however, it doesn't select it. Most likely a different code needs to be sent. Has anybody else done something similar?
In the early days, a lot of people experimented with using mouse switches as an alternative to foot pedals (I did myself).  However, one problem frequently appeared - in order to preserve battery life, nearly all mice time out after a relatively short period.  This means, after a period of inactivity, connection is lost and at best, the first time you use a mouse button, nothing happens while the connection is remade.  

This might seem a minor inconvenience when experimenting at home, but it can be a major problem in the middle of a gig.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(01-10-2024, 12:10 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: In the early days, a lot of people experimented with using mouse switches as an alternative to foot pedals (I did myself).  However, one problem frequently appeared - in order to preserve battery life, nearly all mice time out after a relatively short period.  This means, after a period of inactivity, connection is lost and at best, the first time you use a mouse button, nothing happens while the connection is remade.  

This might seem a minor inconvenience when experimenting at home, but it can be a major problem in the middle of a gig.

Hi GraemeJ, Thanks for your comments, I’m not using a Bluetooth mouse, it’s the remains of a disused corded usb mouse, easy enough to hack for this project. I wondered about using the middle track wheel button for returning to the song list library when pressed. This would be pedal three in the configuration’s,  any ideas for setting it up. Regards Dupe
Corded mouse should be fine.  I made the assumption it would be a BT model, as that is what everyone was trying to use (dedicated pedals were more expensive then).

As for setting up the wheel button, I presume you would just go to the "Pedal Action Settings" page (as I assume that was the method you used for the first two buttons)..
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(01-11-2024, 01:09 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: Corded mouse should be fine.  I made the assumption it would be a BT model, as that is what everyone was trying to use (dedicated pedals were more expensive then).

As for setting up the wheel button, I presume you would just go to the "Pedal Action Settings" page (as I assume that was the method you used for the first two buttons)..

@GraemeJ, only the mouse left and right presses work ok on the forward and back page settings. The middle button, has no response, despite knowing that the mouse button works fine. I would imagine, whatever the digital code key configuration maybe, is not the correct one for the requested function. 
However, l’m currently hacking an old netgear router case to fit the modified mouse, including left and right foot pedals for page turning. Thanks for replying, regard’s Dupe