• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delay before being able to write in annotations mode
Hello!

Over the past few days, there's been a delay between when I enter annotations mode, and I am actually allowed to draw any annotations on the music. Here is a video:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM8...ZQNlJUa2tn

This is only a recent issue, and had been working perfectly fine before, so I'm thinking it may have to do either with a recent app update, or a recent Android update? Regardless, I'm hoping there's an easy solution because this lag can be highly frustrating, especially in fast-moving situations such as rehearsals. 

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Are any other users seeing this? I haven't witnessed this on my own devices. Does this happen with every song/piece you've tested in your library? I also can't explain how any of the recent changes would have resulted in this behavior, as between version 3.8.22 and 3.8.25 (the latest), there were no changes to the annotations functionality at all, and limited changes to things not related to the face gesture functionality.

Thanks,
Mike
Yes, this happens with any piece in my whole library. I haven't added any new pieces to the library recently, either.

The only other thing I could think of is One UI (6.0) on my Samsung Galaxy tablet? It happened a day or two ago, but I can't remember if that's *exactly* when the annotation problems began...
From the video it seems like you are putting your pen tip down and write immediately. On my MaxLumi this does not work either. I have to bring the pen near the display to change to annotation mode and "after" the top menu shows up i can touch the display with the tip and write. If I put down the pen tip directly, I cannot write until I raise the tip a little bit and put it down again. Could you try this approach?

Daniel
I have One UI 6.0 on my Samsung S8 Ultra and I experience no delay at all when annotating. I can press the stylus down and immediately start writing. Daniel - that's only necessary with tablets that don't support hover events (the BOOX tablets do not). With most Samsung tablets with an S-Pen, MobileSheets enters the annotation mode as soon as the stylus is hovering above the screen, so you can start writing immediately with no delay due to this.

Mike
Mike, thanks for your explanation. Could it be possible, that Onyx supports hover events since firmware 3.5? I updated my MaxLumi a few days ago and MobileSheets changes to annotation mode (the top menu appears) without touching the display, but only while hovering.
Then I must be wrong and they added support for that at some point. Thanks for correcting me on that!

Mike
(01-04-2024, 04:30 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Then I must be wrong and they added support for that at some point. Thanks for correcting me on that!

I am almost certain, I had to really touch the screen with the tip to change to annotation mode. I only realized now, that this is not the case anymore. Does this mean, that the logic can be changed in that way, that the first touch is registered? At the moment strokes are not registered when I move the pen to the screen very quickly.
In theory, yes, I think I could probably change the logic, but I'd need to do further testing (or have a user like yourself test) to ensure that this doesn't break anything. I'd also need to only enable this functionality on the newer BOOX devices and keep the current behavior for older devices.

Mike
(01-04-2024, 04:42 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: In theory, yes, I think I could probably change the logic, but I'd need to do further testing (or have a user like yourself test) to ensure that this doesn't break anything.

I totally agree. Breaking things is not a good idea ... take your time. As far as I know you also have a MaxLumi, but I will gladly test things out, if it helps you.
After reading this conversation, I realized that, in fact, annotations mode isn't opening until I actually tap the screen, despite the little floating dot appearing as I hover the pen. This was not the case before; annotations would open immediately upon hovering and I would be able to start drawing right away. What could've happened? There's no simple setting for this, is there?

Video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qabTU6EbWvsEFJHe9

Edit: I have a Galaxy S8 Ultra as well
As long as Settings->Touch & Pedal Settings->Enter Annotation Mode with Stylus Input is enabled, the hover event should trigger it. If you have enabled air actions or some other feature for the stylus in the main tablet settings, it's possible it's interfering with the hover events. or perhaps there is another setting that could impact hover events. You may have to dig through the settings to see if something has changed. If you have air actions on, turn those off and see if that fixes the issue.

Mike
Figured it out. Under Settings > Advanced Features > Air View, I set the setting to "Previews Only" and Annotations mode opens normally again!
Excellent job on figuring that out.

Mike