• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settings for Smoother Scroll
Please indicate what settings can help make the page scrolling smoother when using the vertical scrolling in landscape display mode.  The image movement is very jerky, which makes it hard to read the music while it's scrolling.  Is this behavior file size related?  MobileSheets version 3.8.31, Microsoft Surface Book 3, 32 GB ram, AirTurn BT-200 pedal.

That said, I have to say that the software makes it very easy to change between portrait mode with half-page turns and landscape mode with vertical scrolling without having to change pedal settings.  Bravo!
The main issue is that the renderer (and XAML framework) is struggling with the large amount of pixels due to the very high resolution screen on the Surface Book 3 (and the lack of a powerful GPU). While it's not optimal, if you drop the resolution of the screen, you'll find that MobileSheets will run much more smoothly, as it's not having to render nearly as many pixels. The next update I'm going to release is switching out the graphics framework from Win2D (which uses DirectX) to Skia (which just uses the CPU by default) as users on ARM devices like the Surface Pro X are having all sorts of graphical anomalies with Win2D while annotating. 

After the next update is released, please let me know if the performance is any better or worse for you. On my Surface Pro 8, I can scroll smoothly between pages without any jerkiness as you described.

Mike
(02-26-2024, 12:45 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: The main issue is that the renderer (and XAML framework) is struggling with the large amount of pixels due to the very high resolution screen on the Surface Book 3 (and the lack of a powerful GPU). While it's not optimal, if you drop the resolution of the screen, you'll find that MobileSheets will run much more smoothly, as it's not having to render nearly as many pixels. The next update I'm going to release is switching out the graphics framework from Win2D (which uses DirectX) to Skia (which just uses the CPU by default) as users on ARM devices like the Surface Pro X are having all sorts of graphical anomalies with Win2D while annotating. 

After the next update is released, please let me know if the performance is any better or worse for you. On my Surface Pro 8, I can scroll smoothly between pages without any jerkiness as you described.

Mike

Thank you for the update to MobileSheets.  The scrolling is much smoother now.  As I continue to use the vertical scrolling mode moire, I am noticing some other anomalies that me be addressed with other settings, but I am unable to find them.

I notice that when scrolling, there will be a jump when the scrolling crosses from one page to the next.  I thought I remembered a mention of a setting to eliminated the spces between pages, but I cannot find it.  Am I misremembering?

Also, when I engage the annotation mode while in vertical scrolling mode, the music will jump to a different spot on the page and I have to search for the stave that I 
wanted to annotate.  Is there a way to keep this from happening?

I am still enjoying the ease that MobileSheets brings to my music-making.  Thank you again for a great app.

Jeff
The jump is most likely the app hiccuping when it loads a new page and renders it. I will need to investigate what I can do to lessen the burden on the primary thread when a rendered page becomes available in the background. If you switch the battery power mode to "Best Performance", that should significantly help with that jumping though. There is an option in the display settings dialog to remove gaps between pages.

As far as the page jumping when annotating, you need to turn off the option that forces the single page display mode (I'm assuming you have that enabled in the annotation settings). Normally, if you enter the annotation mode, nothing changes and it displays the page exactly was it was shown in the normal viewer. If you are forcing the single page display mode, that is going to cause the page to be re-rendered under a different display mode and the page will be laid out aligned based on the display alignment settings.

Mike
(03-13-2024, 10:13 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The jump is most likely the app hiccuping when it loads a new page and renders it. I will need to investigate what I can do to lessen the burden on the primary thread when a rendered page becomes available in the background. If you switch the battery power mode to "Best Performance", that should significantly help with that jumping though. There is an option in the display settings dialog to remove gaps between pages.

As far as the page jumping when annotating, you need to turn off the option that forces the single page display mode (I'm assuming you have that enabled in the annotation settings). Normally, if you enter the annotation mode, nothing changes and it displays the page exactly was it was shown in the normal viewer. If you are forcing the single page display mode, that is going to cause the page to be re-rendered under a different display mode and the page will be laid out aligned based on the display alignment settings.

Mike

Thank you, Mike, for the prompt answers to my questions.  I will make the necessary changes to my settings and I'm sure that will eliminate my issues.
Jeff
There is a way for me to render the images for pages (and annotations on those pages) using a background thread, but I have to be very careful about the changes with this, as I can't access any UI properties in the background if I do this. However, if I can get this working, it should significantly improve the performance and stop some of the stuttering and such that can occur while scrolling.

Mike