• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi Startup
Hello,
I'm a couple of months into Mobile Sheets now and like what I've experienced so far.
I'm also new to Midi and am looking for where to start my learning.  My initial objective is:
- At the start of a song loading, automatically change presets and parameters on my midi devices:
   - Ensoniq SD-1 keyboard (primary)
   - Yamaha Portatone PSR-510 (secondary, 
   - Roland DR-880 drum machine
   - TC Helicon VL3X
I see the Midi page in Mobile Sheets as part of song edit, but I'm clueless about how to acquire the knowledge about what to put there.  I have very little to no interest in Midi other than to set my devices before I play a song.
Anyone have ideas about a good Midi training course to try ?
Thanks,
Phil
The first thing you'll want to do is learn the basics of what types of MIDI commands there are, and an overview of it's purpose: https://theproaudiofiles.com/midi-basics/

It all usually just comes down to a few basic MIDI commands for most devices - control change, program change, and system exclusive. The "Patch Command" in MobileSheets is really just a fancy way of sending multiple control changes followed by a program change. So you'll just need to look at the documentation for your MIDI devices to see what features can be controlled over MIDI, then you can set up MIDI commands in MobileSheets to trigger those features (or you can trigger actions in MobileSheets using MIDI actions by listening to certain MIDI commands from your instruments).

Mike
(03-28-2024, 09:36 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The first thing you'll want to do is learn the basics of what types of MIDI commands there are, and an overview of it's purpose: https://theproaudiofiles.com/midi-basics/

It all usually just comes down to a few basic MIDI commands for most devices - control change, program change, and system exclusive. The "Patch Command" in MobileSheets is really just a fancy way of sending multiple control changes followed by a program change. So you'll just need to look at the documentation for your MIDI devices to see what features can be controlled over MIDI, then you can set up MIDI commands in MobileSheets to trigger those features (or you can trigger actions in MobileSheets using MIDI actions by listening to certain MIDI commands from your instruments).

Mike

Thanks Mike !
I think I've got the basic history, philosophy, etc ... I'm just not familiar with how it's implemented in Mobile Sheets or anywhere else for that matter. Guess I need to experiment.
Regards,
Phil
Phil,

There are a couple of areas - if you long press a song, tap Edit Song to enter the song editor, then go to the MIDI tab, you can enter MIDI commands by tapping the + icon. You can have MIDI messages that are sent when the song is loaded, or you can have the song automatically load when receiving certain messages (or both). If you go to the main application settings->MIDI Settings->MIDI Actions, you can configure actions to be triggered when specific MIDI messages are received. 

If you have questions on either of these, ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

Mike