• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues with Connect Tablet
I have used the Connect Tablet function to setup one of my tablet with Mobile Sheets installed before and it works perfectly as a Leader but when I try it just now to set it as a Leader, it is not working.

1. When I tap on Leader and assign it a Device Group Name and then tap OK, the Group name field show "Null" and an the IP address of the tablet shows up

2. When I use another tablet to try and connect to this IP address, it give the error "Failed to connect to 192.168......"

3. I checked the randomized MAC address setup on the tablet that I am trying to setup as Leader and randomized MAC address is not enabled

4. Reversing the role and using the tablet that cannot be setup as a Leader to connect as a follower to the other tablet works OK

5. I tried Importing Settings backup from the other tablet to it but no difference

6. When I test it using Bluetooth, the other tablet see this tablet's Group Name but when I select the name and tap on Join Group, the error "Failed to connect to ...Group Name  " is displayed

7.  Same issue whether I set it to Book mode or not

8. Also when I tap on "Disconnect" on the page of this Tablet that does not work as a Leader, nothing happens.  On the other tablet that is setup as Leader, tapping on the Disconnect will exit the Leader mode on that tablet

9. I tried exiting the program and shutting down the tablet and restarting it and it is still not working

I believe the program must be saving some previous Connect Tablet settings for the connection somewhere that's why it is able to connect using the option "Connect With Last Used Settings" and I suspect that something there may be causing this issue as the Group Name should not be showing up as "Null" after I tap "OK" on the Leaders options page.

Is there a way to remove previous Connect Tablet settings that is stored for used with the "Connect With Last Used Settings" function as this may clear some of the connection issues I'm seeing on my tablet right now.
You should probably change the name from "Null" to something else (the default is "Group 1") but that shouldn't impact the connection itself. 

The only way to clear out all of the settings for the "Connect Tablets" feature is to go to Settings->Other Settings->Reset Settings to Default and reset all of the settings for the entire application. 

None of the saved connection values should have any impact if you manually connect. So I'm not sure what's going on there. It might be worth backing up your library under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library, uninstalling reinstalling, then trying to establish a connection before restoring your library backup. If that works, then restore the backup and see if it then fails. That will be a clear way to know if some of the saved values are interfering.

Mike
I reinstalled the App and restore the backup Library from my Windows version and everything is working OK now.  Not sure what happened but the Leader mode when enabled always show the Group name as "Null" no matter what I set it to in the Leader's Settings and it cannot be disconnected either before the reinstall.  Clearing the Settings back to default did not resolve the issue.  So to be on the save side, I did not use the Settings nor the Library backup from the tablet and good that I have everything in my Windows version so I used the Library backup to do the Restore.  I'm not sure whether it will work if I used the Library backup from the tablet since it may have something in there that is causing the problem and I'm just restoring it back if I used the tablet's Library backup.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
Can you help clarify the following and how it is used:
1. In the Connection Settings, there is a Device Name how is this used
2. When you tap New Leader, there is a Device Group Name that you can define, is this the Group Name that your device will show up as for others to connect to
3. When I connect to the Leader, the Leader show the name of the connected device as the name that is setup on the Android tablet's About Tablet's Device Name and not the Device Name I setup in Connection Settings
4. What will happen if there are devices in the area that have the same Tablet's Device Name, ie. they are the same brand and model so their Device Name in the tablet's About Tablet Device Name will be the same
5. What happen if 2 device in the area are both setup with the same Device Group Name

Seems like some of these information is stored in the Mobile Sheets somewhere so if someone is not aware, there may be conflicts and confusing with many tablets around that may have been used as a Leader and using the same Device Group Name etc.
1) This is how the device will appear in the leader's list of devices when connecting over WiFi
3) If you connected over bluetooth, MobileSheets has to use the name reported by the bluetooth services which typically matches the device name in the OS settings. Otherwise I would need to investigate if you see that behavior over WiFi. 
4) It won't cause any issues - you just won't be able to clearly distinguish them from each other in the leader's list of connected devices.
5) Devices that are searching for a group to connect to will show the same name twice I believe, so it would be very difficult to distinguish between the two different groups. This is one area where it's important to use different group names (it's implemented this to handle environments where there could be multiple groups set up for different musicians).

Mike
Thanks for the clarification.  I tested with both WiFi and Bluetooth and the Device Name and Group Name are displaying exactly as you said.

Now I have a new issue and a question:

1. Before when I setup my Windows version to be the the Server for a Library sync using WiFi, the name of the Server will show up on the client device, my tablet and I can just tap on it to start the sync, now no Server name is displayed and I have to use Direct Connect and enter the IP address of my Windows Server to be able to sync.  It was always working with the Server name before but ever since I restored the Library Backup from my Windows version onto the tablet to fix the Connect tablet issue, this issue started.  Any idea and suggestion on how to get the Server name to appear on the Client device again.

If I use Bluetooth instead of WiFi, then the name of the Server showed up on the Client device.

2. What the the Folder Settings in the Library Sync screen used for.
1. That means something is blocking the broadcast packets on the network. That can be caused by Windows firewall (unblock MobileSheets in the firewall settings) or the router itself (but a reinstall wouldn't explain why it would stop working).

2. It has been discussed on the forum before, but it lets you map folders on one device to other folders on the other device. This can be important for users that manage their own folder structures and want to ensure this is preserved during the sync.

Mike
Thanks for the quick reply.  I have resolved the issue with the Server name not showing up.  There was a Windows Update pending and I think that may have blocked the broadcast of the packets as per your message.  Once I restarted the PC to complete the Windows update, the Server name is now appearing on the Client tablet.

Another question I have is on the use of Bluetooth for both Connect Device and Footswitch.  If I need to use both functions, is there a proper sequence that I should follow to avoid conflicts in what device and which function the bluetooth is being used for.

Should I enable Bluetooth only on my Leader tablet first and then connect it to my bluetooth page turner first and then enable Bluetooth on my Client tablet and then do the Connect tablets to connect the 2 tablets together in Book mode.

I'm thinking if I enable both tablet's bluetooth at the same time and then I turn on my bluetooth pedal, both device may try to connect to it and not sure what will be the end result and which tablet will the page turner be controlling the page turn.  Not sure if I do the Connect Tablets first and then turn on the page turner pedal after will it still connect properly.