• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't send MIDI to Korg monologue
Fairly new user of the app, and so far for just the library management features alone it's been great. I play in a small worship band with a decent-sized repertoire so it sure beats carrying a huge binder of music around!

I have a Korg monologue and have tried to set up program changes on song load, so far with no success. MS will see incoming MIDI from the synth, and I can even use those to trigger things in MS, but sending doesn't do anything.

I have made sure that I have all the Rx MIDI options enabled on the monologue, and it is able to receive MIDI from other apps on my tablet (a Lenovo Tab M10 Plus Gen3), but for some reason nothing sent from MS seems to work.

When I connect it, I do get the prompt and it shows the monologue is connected. I have tried all 4 MIDI device options and both Default and Google drivers, and still the same results -- no trouble receiving MIDI from the monologue but sending doesn't work. Even tried a few different USB cables just to be sure. Unfortunately I don't have any DIN MIDI equipment to test with.

Has anyone had success sending MIDI over USB to a monologue?
What message(s) are you trying to send? With some keyboards, you may have to insert a pause between commands if you are sending multiple in a row.

Mike
(04-12-2024, 11:14 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: What message(s) are you trying to send? With some keyboards, you may have to insert a pause between commands if you are sending multiple in a row.

Mike

Just a single program change, but I've also tried note and control change and none of them worked
Well, somewhat good news -- I decided to try and send some program change and CC messages from Ableton Live and those aren't working either, so I've clearly got a more basic problem on the monologue. I've checked many times and confirmed the "MIDI Rx Prog Chg" setting is on so I guess I need to reach out to Korg's support  Confused
Update - I have it working through Ableton Live now, the quirk is that there are two ports on the monologue. In order for it to work, I have to choose the "SOUND" option and not "MIDI OUT" (very counter-intuitive)

In MS there is just a single option for output and it must be the wrong one. Is there any way to expose those additional ports in the settings?
If you are using the Google MIDI library, there is a checkbox at the bottom left of the screen "Show only MIDI devices". You can uncheck that and see if the other port shows up. Otherwise, what is displayed is what is detected through the MIDI library. With the default MIDI library, it will connect to every available MIDI port automatically.

Mike
Just tried both those options and sadly no change -- with the Google library I see:

Input
KORG INC. monologue#382 MIDI 1.0[0] (Connected)

Output
KORG INC. monologue#382 MIDI 1.0[0] (Connected)

Unchecking "Show only MIDI devices" doesn't show any additional options. When choosing the Default library, a message appears saying the monologue is attached, but still I can only get incoming messages into MS.
With the default MIDI library, there is a file that indicates how to filter out USB ports so that only valid MIDI ports are connected to. The broad filter is USB class=1, subclass=3. Looking at the USB specification for audio devices, it lists this:

AUDIOCONTROL 0x01
AUDIOSTREAMING 0x02
MIDISTREAMING 0x03

So if you want to test out a build where I add subclass 1 and 2 to the file, so it will connect to any audio USB port, we can try it out, but I'm not sure I would want to leave it like that, as it seems potentially dangerous and incorrect to connect to any available audio port and start sending MIDI messages to it. I might have to add a toggle somewhere that switches between multiple difference filter files for the MIDI ports so that users can control this if it works. Let me know if you want me to send you a link to a build to try this out.

Mike