• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding new song with Tablet Camera (Problem with naming the song)
I have just recently started using the built in scanning capabilities of MS to add new songs to my database.

I am either doing something wrong, or there is a problem related to naming these new pieces.

Here is my process:

1) While in the "Songs" category click "New"

2) Click the Camera icon

3) Take a picture of the music and click "Done"

4) The PDF is created and a default name is created that appears to be derived from the current date.  That new name is shown in the very upper left hand of the screen, and also below that in green.

5) I want to rename the new song so I click the 3 vertical dots and select "Rename File"

6) A dialog box is presented and I change the name of the newly scanned piece

7) The Green text shows the new name, but the very upper left hand part of the screen still shows the default name.

8) When I exit back to the main menu the newly scanned piece does not have the name I assigned, it has the default numeric name.

9) I then have to long press the song, enter the "Edit" menu where I can rename the piece.

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know.

Thanks, and I really enjoy using the great program !!

-Steve
I wasn't sure if you were suggesting the rename of the file wasn't working, but it seems that isn't the case. You are just wanting the song title to match the file name, correct? Once a song title is set, no changes in the song editor will cause that title to be modified. This is to prevent changes from the user being overwritten by any other action (replacing a file, renaming a file, etc). So that's why renaming the file did not automatically change the song title. However, I'm not opposed to changing the logic such that, if a song has a single file, that file is renamed and the current title matched the automatically generated title from the previous file name, that I update the song title to match the new file name. If any users don't want this behavior, please post in this thread.

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks Mike,

I didn't understand a few things until I read your reply.  I did not realize that the file name and the song title can be different.  I suppose I don't care about the internal workings, but now that I understand that let me rephrase my question:

Is it possible to add a new song using the camera on my tablet and then give the newly created song the correct title before saving it ?  In other words, I would like to take the picture, and specify the name of the song in a single step.

I find these issues really difficult to convey via text, so here are 2 videos to better explain:

This one starts immediately after I take the picture and click "Done"

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5y8bd6tgi...z2seh&dl=0

This one shows what I do to rename the song:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/z8qhh9afr...uup0b&dl=0

Thanks so much,  As I've said before - your support of this excellent application is outstanding !!

-Steve
Yes, you can certainly do that. Take the picture, rename the file if desired, then tap the "Fields" tab at the top of the song editor. That's where you go to enter metadata or change the song title. 

I'm happy to help.

Mike
(04-15-2024, 10:49 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: <snip>
So that's why renaming the file did not automatically change the song title. However, I'm not opposed to changing the logic such that, if a song has a single file, that file is renamed and the current title matched the automatically generated title from the previous file name, that I update the song title to match the new file name. If any users don't want this behavior, please post in this thread.
Hi Mike,
I'm in 2 minds about this.  Perhaps a checkbox might be a useful alternative?

For myself, because of the way I name pdf's* when creating charts for a couple of the bands I'm in, I think I'd prefer if the current behaviour didn't change.  That said, I can also see the convenience for the use case under discussion.

* I include versioning info in the filename if a chart is updated/corrected.
E.G.
"Moonglow-Trom.pdf" might become "Moonglow-V1a-Trom.pdf" if there was a typo or some other correction made to the pdf.  
Under these conditions I'd want the entry in the songlist to remain "Moonglow-Trom".
Of course, I can also see the benefits of having versioning info in the songlist entry...
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X
I think I would limit the change so that the song title would only be modified if the file was renamed on the files tab by tapping the three dots and selecting "Rename File". It sounds to me like that's not the process you are using when you update your PDF (replacing "Moonglow-Trom.pdf" with "Moonglow-V1a-Trom.pdf"). Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to change the logic outside of this scenario as I feel like there would be too many scenarios where users would not expect their song title to suddenly change if they swapped in a file with a different name.

Thanks,
Mike
(04-15-2024, 01:36 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Yes, you can certainly do that. Take the picture, rename the file if desired, then tap the "Fields" tab at the top of the song editor. That's where you go to enter metadata or change the song title. 

I'm happy to help.

Mike

OMG - I should have been able to figure this out myself !!    Angry

For the life of me I don't know why I didn't see the "Fields" tab - I was looking all over the page for a way to change the song title.

Yes - Everything makes sense now, and works just fine.

This was entirely my mistake, I'm sorry I wasted your time.

-Steve
(04-15-2024, 04:40 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I think I would limit the change so that the song title would only be modified if the file was renamed on the files tab by tapping the three dots and selecting "Rename File". It sounds to me like that's not the process you are using when you update your PDF (replacing "Moonglow-Trom.pdf" with "Moonglow-V1a-Trom.pdf"). Correct me if I'm wrong.
<snip>

Arrgh, you are quite correct.  Sorry for wasting your time with my brain fart Sad
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X