• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing existing files doesn't work anymore
Hi,

I need to replace existing sheet music and lyrics in MobileSheets a lot. When I load a PDF with music that is already in my MobileSheets, and the title is exactly what is already there, I used to see a dialog screen allowing me to choose "Rename", "Update Existing Song With New File", or "Skip". This has worked fine ever since I began using Mobile Sheets. But for the last the last few weeks (say the beginning of March 2024) this doesn't work anymore. The dialog screen does not appear anymore, and I end up with duplicate files in MobileSheets.

It does not make any difference it I choose Create New Song From Existing File or Ignore Duplicate Files, the result is the same.

What has happened?

Douwe
Please take a look at this post as this is the same issue: https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/f...11354.html

The "Create Subdirectory per Song" setting most likely changed, so you either need to reset everything by creating a library backup file under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library and then restoring that backup file under Settings->Backup and Restore->Restore Library from Backup (so it either uses directories for everything or removes unnecessary directories), or you can just toggle the setting, then reimport your file and verify it now prompts you like you are expecting.

Mike
Hi,

My setting for "Create Subdirectory per Song" is not switched on, I have never needed that feature. Never has been switched on. However, When I look at the directory where the files are stored, I find that for some titles there are subdirectories created. Some are empty, some contain only an MP3 if added one, but some contain the loaded PDF.

I checked again what would happen if I load a PDF that is already in de database. I tried song "Time passages (in Eb)". Again, it it added to the list, so it appears twice in my MobileSheets (see attachment). But in my data folder the PDF appears only once. Which is obvious, any file can exist only once within one directory under the same name.

Are there any other things that I can check?

Thanks,
Douwe
[Image: Schermafbeelding%202024-04-24%20103314.png][Image: Schermafbeelding%202024-04-24%20103503.png]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Douwe,

That setting used to be on by default, so unless you turned it off yourself, it would have created subdirectories in the past. Please do me a favor:

1) Right-click/long-press on the first instance of "Time Passages (in Eb)" to select it and tap/click "Edit Song" at the top of the screen
2) Go to the files tab and tap/click the icon to the right of the file in the list that looks like a circle with an i in it.
3) A popup should appear showing the full path to the file. Please let me know what path is listed. If the path contains a subdirectory, then that's why a conflict didn't occur, and you will need to follow the instructions I provided previously with backing up your library and restoring it. If the path does not contain a subdirectory under the storage location, then please go to Settings->Other Settings->Find Missing Files and let me know how many missing files are listed, as I don't know how the file could have been in the root storage location folder without a conflict being generated when you imported that file again. 1

Thanks,
Mike
(04-25-2024, 03:28 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Douwe,

That setting used to be on by default, so unless you turned it off yourself, it would have created subdirectories in the past. Please do me a favor:

1) Right-click/long-press on the first instance of "Time Passages (in Eb)" to select it and tap/click "Edit Song" at the top of the screen
2) Go to the files tab and tap/click the icon to the right of the file in the list that looks like a circle with an i in it.
3) A popup should appear showing the full path to the file. Please let me know what path is listed. If the path contains a subdirectory, then that's why a conflict didn't occur, and you will need to follow the instructions I provided previously with backing up your library and restoring it. If the path does not contain a subdirectory under the storage location, then please go to Settings->Other Settings->Find Missing Files and let me know how many missing files are listed, as I don't know how the file could have been in the root storage location folder without a conflict being generated when you imported that file again. 1

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I've checked these steps that you describe. The path for both of the instances of "Time Passages (in Eb)" is same:
C:\Users\douwe\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState\Time passages (in Eb).pdf
C:\Users\douwe\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState\Time passages (in Eb).pdf

The result of checking missing files is: "No files are missing in the library"

In other cases I came across with these duplicates, I found the any added text of marking in MobileSheets are saved and visible in the original of the duplicates, but not in the newly added one. I could reproduce that now in the case of "Time Passages (in Eb)". I can add marking in one of the instances, nut the marking is not shown in the other one.

Thanks for looking innto this, I hope you can find the cause of this behaviour!

Regards,
Douwe
The feature works perfectly fine for me (I do have the duplicate file behavior set to "Ignore Duplicate Files"), so I'm really not sure how to reproduce what you are seeing. Please go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library, generate a .msb file, share it with mike@zubersoft.com, then also send me the PDF you are trying to import that doesn't generate a conflict. Then I can look at all your settings and see if I can pinpoint what is going on. If you don't want to share the full library, long-press/right-click just that one song, tap Share->Export as .msf, send that .msf to mike@zubersoft.com, and go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Export Settings and send the .mcf file to mike@zubersoft.com as well.

On a side note, I've been assuming you are running version 3.8.43. If you go to Settings->About and you are not running version 3.8.43, please update to the latest version through the Microsoft Store and see if that resolves the issue for you.

Thanks,
Mike
(04-26-2024, 03:54 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The feature works perfectly fine for me (I do have the duplicate file behavior set to "Ignore Duplicate Files"), so I'm really not sure how to reproduce what you are seeing. Please go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library, generate a .msb file, share it with mike@zubersoft.com, then also send me the PDF you are trying to import that doesn't generate a conflict. Then I can look at all your settings and see if I can pinpoint what is going on. If you don't want to share the full library, long-press/right-click just that one song, tap Share->Export as .msf, send that .msf to mike@zubersoft.com, and go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Export Settings and send the .mcf file to mike@zubersoft.com as well.

On a side note, I've been assuming you are running version 3.8.43. If you go to Settings->About and you are not running version 3.8.43, please update to the latest version through the Microsoft Store and see if that resolves the issue for you.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi,

I exported the database as a whole, but the file is quite large, even compressed in a ZIP, some 337 MB. I've included the "Time passages (inEb).pdf" file in the ZIP. I will send the file to you using Wetransfer.

Thanks,
Douwe
BTW, I am using version 3.8.43.
I restored your library backup file, imported your PDF and it was ignored as it exactly matches the file already in the library. This makes sense as Time passages (in Eb).pdf is already under the storage location folder. You can see if I rename a different PDF to match that and import, the dialog is shown like I would expect:

[Image: screenshot_file.png]

You did try restoring your own backup file and importing the PDF again, correct?

Thanks,
Mike
(04-26-2024, 06:00 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I restored your library backup file, imported your PDF and it was ignored as it exactly matches the file already in the library. This makes sense as Time passages (in Eb).pdf is already under the storage location folder. You can see if I rename a different PDF to match that and import, the dialog is shown like I would expect:

[Image: screenshot_file.png]

You did try restoring your own backup file and importing the PDF again, correct?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
Yes, I performed the same now today. That has worked! It now gives me the correct "File Already Exists" as before. This seems to have resolved the issue. Thank you very much!

Regards,
Douwe
I'm glad to hear that Douwe! I'm always happy to help.

Mike