• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile Sheets does not Exit properly
When I go to the 3 dots and tap on Exit to try and exit the Mobile Sheets App on my Android device after the last update to 3.8.43, it does not Exit properly.  The App close but then another one pops right up again at the same place before I tap the "Exit".  The only way to close it is to use Android's Close All Apps function to close the App.  This does not happen in the Windows version 3.8.43
That's strange - it seems to work properly for me. I tested on a Samsung Tab S4 running Android 9 and a Samsung Tab S8 Ultra running Android 14. Is anyone else seeing a problem? Music Lover - what type of Android tablet are you using?

Thanks,
Mike
I haven't experienced this as I always use the "Close All" Apps function to close the app (it is also an easy way to close the app)

@Music Lover: You don't have to close all apps - you can close a single app.

@Mike:  Fired up MS and immediately pressed "... Exit" - screen cleared.
Pressed "Close All" and MS pops up as still running; tap it and it's good to go.

Geoff
PS: Using 3.8.36
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I am using a Lenovo Android tablet and my issue is exactly what Geoff indicated.  I tested it on my android phone and it does the same thing.  When I press Exit the App closed so you think it's closed but then if you try and see what Apps are opened on the tablet/phone, Mobile Sheet is still showing up as running.  I have to used Android's close app method, ie. swipe the App window off the screen to close it properly.
Same issue on my TabX - not a big deal for me as MS is all I use on it, but still...
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X
I researched this, and in the past, there wasn't a way to have the app close itself and not have it show up on the recent list. Appearing on the recent list does not mean the application is running - the app is in a suspended state with all resources unloaded. If you tap it, the application is started up fresh as a new instance. However, Google did add a way to have the app close itself and remove itself from the recent list, so I will make this change for the next update. It will only work on Android 5.0 and higher devices though.

Thanks,
Mike
Based on my (brief) attempt at Android programming a few years ago, I was under the impression that modern Android apps aren't supposed to have a close or quit button.

Google just found me this:

Quote:
Quote:Question: Does the user have a choice to kill the application unless we put a menu option in to kill it? If no such option exists, how does the user terminate the application?
Answer: The user doesn't, the system handles this automatically. That's what the activity lifecycle (especially onPause/onStop/onDestroy) is for. No matter what you do, do not put a "quit" or "exit" application button. It is useless with Android's application model. This is also contrary to how core applications work.
Maybe my understanding (and the above quote) are outdated.  It's really not something that I've been keeping up on lately.
If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country AND Western
That was my impression in the past as well. Google eventually added a method specifically to finish an activity and remove the app from the recent list. That signals, in my opinion, that they are okay with having a way to trigger that.

Mike