• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
subtitle as a "normal" database field?
It would be nice if "subtitle" could become a normal database field (not just a directive in a chordpro file) that can be manually entered, 
edited and searched for just like "title" (even in songs that are available as PDFs).
There are some songs where I can only remember the first words in the lyrics, but not the real title.
Here the beginning of the song could be saved as a subtitle.
Is this possible in a later version?
Is there any reason you can't use an existing field like Custom or Custom2 for that purpose? I don't really see the need for an additional metadata field with the availability of multiple custom fields that you can search on.

Mike
Of course I can use custom - and at the moment I do - but the disadvantage is that the subtitle has to be specified twice 
in the chordpro-file, in {subtitle} for the display and in {meta custom} for the search or the display in the song list (song title formatting).
Since I don't like to store data redundantly and in my opinion subtitle is not an unusual field, I had this idea.
But if this is too time-consuming or there are other reasons against it, then it is what it is.

By the way:
"Custom Group Name" can be renamed, but "Custom" and "Custom2" cannot. Is this not technically possible, or what are the reasons against it?
It just requires a lot of database changes, UI changes, and this has to occur on all three platforms as well as the companion app. So unless there is strong support for an additional metadata field, I'd prefer not to change all that. If more users chime in that they would get value out of a subtitle field, then I can plan it for one of the future updates. Additional fields also don't come for free - even if the field is blank, when querying for the data for the entire library, it's another field that has to be retrieved per song which has an impact with very large libraries in terms of load times and memory allocations.

As far as the ability to rename labels, I planned for that with the Custom Group field, but it requires going through every UI in the entire application that can reference the field and adding code to populate the label instead of being able to statically define it in the UI layout. So it's not that it can't be done - it's just that I haven't had time to add code to support that. I do plan on allowing more fields to be renamed in the future. Having said that, it does create potential confusion and difficulty when trying to assist users if they've renamed a bunch of fields and I don't know what those fields map to.

Mike
Thank you for your detailed answer.
I understand, of course, that this is not the top priority. (But if you ever have a lot of time and no idea what you could change/improve in MSP ... Smile
I have a solution for now and there are certainly more important things (e.g. support for {define} and {chord}). I'm already looking forward to that ...