• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup error message
I first want to say that this app is great! I love the update; huge help. I use the app primarily for leading worship at church, and the ability to mark notes on the pdf's is a huge plus!

My problem: when trying to backup my library, I get the following message - "The backup has failed to complete due to an error."

I am trying to backup the library to my removable sd card. I am using a Toshiba Thrive tablet, running Android 4.0.4.

1. I go to Options - Backup, Restore, Import

2. I select the path for Removable storage: Path: /mnt/sdcard2

3. I go to Backup Library - Select a backup destination - I select the path in item #2 above - Accept - Backup file name: MobileSheetsBackup.msb - Create

4. The Backup window comes back up. I have both boxes check as defaulted: Backup files on SD card and Backup files on removable storage.

5. I click ok and get the message: "The backup has failed to complete due to an error."

I can go through this same procedure and set the backup destination path as /mnt/sdcard/MobileSheetsLibrary/MobileSheetsBackup.msb, (to put the backup file in the internal memory) click ok, and I get the message "Initiating Backup" but the app hangs there. I wait several minutes and nothing changes, so hit the "back" arrow and get "The backup has been cancelled. The partial backup file will be deleted." Not sure what to do from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hello copprtop97,

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. I will add two things to the next update - better error information for the library backup, and a database verifier that will clean up any potential errors in the database before the backup proceeds. Hopefully between these two, we can figure out what's going on with the backup on your tablet. I'll do my best to get that update out in the next couple days. Sorry about that!

Mike
Hi Mike, just to let you know I was also experiencing the same problem while backing up through the companion too. If I remember rightly it got about 60% ish of the way through before saying "The backup has failed to complete."

Cheers, Chris
No worries. Thanks for the help!
I've added additional code now to provide better error messages, and with new backups generated in the future, the ability to skip bad data and continue. In the meantime, if one of you is willing to send me your backup file, I can probably get to the bottom of it, but otherwise we'll have to talk again after the update comes out.

Mike