• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Lines showing up on tunes
Just as an FYI to confirm that my mind isn't playing tricks on me ...

I have the pre-updated MSP on my ASUS tablet. I pulled up the same song on both the ASUS and my updated Azpen side-by-side and there is very obviously a difference in the overall quality of the rendering in the new update. It generally manifests itself in the loss of staff lines and a general overall thinning of the notes and their stems. The stem length of some notes are almost cut in half. This is actually on a scan that I thought was decent

Am I the only one seeing this?
(10-23-2015, 11:16 PM)Harper Wrote: Unfortunately I don't always have the ability to re-scan the original since I don't have it.

You might be able to improve things with a photo editor. Not ideal and hopefully Mike will be able to find a long term fix, but it might help in the short term.

Andy
Harper,

I can forward the file to the PDF company (RadaeePDF) and tell them about the problem. It's possible that if they fix it for one file, it will fix it for all files that exhibit the similar problem.

I apologize that things haven't been smoother with this transition. I thought that the two PDF libraries would produce nearly identical output, but that's obviously not the case. I'm already invested in this new library (both time and money) and I believe it will offer more useful features going forward than the old. I will keep working with RadaeePDF to ensure that the output is at least as good as what was produced with the old library. They've been great about fixing things in a timely manner, so hopefully these issues will be resolved in short order.

Thanks,
Mike
At least Harper is not the only one seeing this. The lower image quality was the first thing I noticed after upgrading, although I couldn't quite put my finger on what was different. Only the thought, that "didn't this look a bit better/sharper before?" I quite agree with GraemeJ, that for a music reader, image quality really is THE important thing. I'm very happy with the lightning speed in the new version, but not sure I'm happy with trading this for image quality..

As for the line thing, it's definitely not the opposite page shining through. At least not in my case. As I've described earlier, it's kind of a dotted line marking the borders of the printed music. Just a minor nuisance, but still... Appears on most of my scanned pages.

I've attached two screenshots to illustrate the points. Same file and same page, shown in MSP and Adobe Reader, respectively.
The dotted border line is clearly visible in the MSP image, but not in Adobe Reader. The difference in quality can also be seen (at least if you zoom in a litle bit) - look for example at the diminuendo in the first bar. In Adobe, the lines appear quite straight, in MSP they are more pixelised.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-24-2015, 04:19 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I can forward the file to the PDF company (RadaeePDF) and tell them about the problem. It's possible that if they fix it for one file, it will fix it for all files that exhibit the similar problem.

Thanks Mike!
I'm trying to see how hard it would be to create a hybrid build that uses the old PDF renderer for displaying pages, but uses the new PDF renderer for PDF creation and obtaining information from the PDF. It's definitely not optimal, but unless all of these issues get resolved, I think it's probably the best path forward.

Thanks,
Mike
(10-24-2015, 05:53 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I'm trying to see how hard it would be to create a hybrid build that uses the old PDF renderer for displaying pages, but uses the new PDF renderer for PDF creation and obtaining information from the PDF.  It's definitely not optimal, but unless all of these issues get resolved, I think it's probably the best path forward.  

Thanks,
Mike

Other than speed, which has never seemed to be a problem to me, what advantages doea the new renderer provide?

Maybe you have already covered this, but since I am not using the new version at the moment, I've rather tended to gloss over posts about it.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
It lets me create new PDFs, modify annotations in existing PDFs (for converting MS annotations to PDF annotations), query for things like PDF bookmarks, table of contents, and I believe it also uses much less memory. Creating PDFs was critical for printing support, exporting files and exporting annotations.
I've successfully combined both, so the next update will go back to the way things were but all of the new features will still work.
\O/ \O/ \O/
(10-24-2015, 08:43 AM)Zuberman Wrote: It lets me create new PDFs, modify annotations in existing PDFs (for converting MS annotations to PDF annotations), query for things like PDF bookmarks, table of contents, and I believe it also uses much less memory. Creating PDFs was critical for printing support, exporting files and exporting annotations.

OK, I can see why you went that route.   

I'm still a little concerned over reports of poor quality though.  I have quite a few scans that are none too good to start with.  These are mainly various Fakebook scans, many from years ago (and scattered all over the net) which I would think many other users also have. Much more degradation, of some of them, would make them unreadable!

I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Just updated. Looks great Mike, the lines are gone! TYVM!