• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huge, Gigantic, Mammoth, and even Monumental Problems Importing
Well, not really.  I overstated a little.  It's my first post, after all.

My problem is simple, as is hopefully the solution.  I do a lot of arranging for a band.  When I print PDFs and import them into MobileSheets Pro, the sun come out and all is well.  Until I update my charts after a rehearsal or gig (and this happens a lot...I'm very active arranging).  Of course the file names are the same, but the date modified is different...just a new version...

When I import the charts, I always end up with duplicate entries in my songs list.  Perhaps I'm not doing it right.  This happens with the Companion, importing from my tablet via Dropbox, etc.

Here's my ideal process.  Tell me if it's flawed:

1. I print PDFs of my new arrangment of "Dark Eyes"
2. I upload parts to my tablet
3. The sun shines, children laugh, etc.
4. I modify my scores and produce new PDFs with the SAME FILE NAMES as the old ones
5. I import new files into MSP with "Replace All", figuring this will in fact replace the tunes
6. Weep upon opening my app and seeing multiple versions listed of Dark Eyes

I want to fill in the information like composer, key, etc., of Dark Eyes and have confidence in the future that this data will be preserved and that I'll only have one entry for Dark Eyes, the newest PDF.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for any help you may lend.
Hello Sliphorn,

Unfortunately, there is a little bit of a confusion here due to the way the companion app works versus the tablet. If you import on the tablet, and the file already exists, there is a different option available that says "Update Existing Song". This would do what you are expecting. There is also another option if you long press a song to "Swap File" which would also accomplish your goal. Unfortunately, neither of those options has been implemented on the companion yet. When you select "Replace All", that is replacing the file on the tablet, but then creating a new song that also uses that file. That means that the only way to achieve your goal in the companion app at the moment would be to edit a song, remove the existing file, then add your new file. I'll try to add the update/swap functionality on the companion soon.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I'll take another look at importing via the tablet to see if that functionality matches my expectations.
(01-09-2016, 04:32 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Hello Sliphorn,

Unfortunately, there is a little bit of a confusion here due to the way the companion app works versus the tablet. If you import on the tablet, and the file already exists, there is a different option available that says "Update Existing Song". This would do what you are expecting. There is also another option if you long press a song to "Swap File" which would also accomplish your goal. Unfortunately, neither of those options has been implemented on the companion yet.  When you select "Replace All", that is replacing the file on the tablet, but then creating a new song that also uses that file. That means that the only way to achieve your goal in the companion app at the moment would be to edit a song, remove the existing file, then add your new file.  I'll try to add the update/swap functionality on the companion soon.

Mike

My sad story continues.  I did what you suggested and imported on my tablet.  Good.  I used replace files options.  Good.  But the sad part is that if the new files have more pages, it seems the new pages don't show up.  For example, I removed codas and the like to exploit the advantages of a straight read on a tablet, but the new pages don't show up.  Is this is known problem?

Thanks!
AFAIK MS assumes that the pages haven't changed. For good reason since you usually don't want to change page order.

If your new song has more pages, you have to add the new ones in the page order field.
BRX is correct - you will need to edit the song and adjust the page order on the files tab.