• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SD card button doesn't work
[Android-version 1.7.4 from Google Play]
I have added MobileSheet to a new (second) device with Android 5.1.1
There is a micro SD card (32GB) and I can write files there using the exporer.
So the card is not read-only.

Using #Settings #Storage #Set the MoileSheets Storage Location
does not accept the micro SD card button.
If I select the path manually I get the message:
"The directory /mnt/external_sd/Musik is read-only. ..."
---------------------------------------------------------
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-P1325, Android 4.1.1
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-I1345, Android 5.1.1
Microsoft Surface Pro 4; Windows 10
Phone: Motorola Moto G3, Android 6.0
Do any of the suggestions from this thread work? http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...=read+only
That path you listed doesn't actually seem like the normal path created by MobileSheetsPro. It should be /mnt/external_sd/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro/files. Where did the "Musik" come from?

Also, don't confuse what the internal tablet's file explorer can do versus what applications are allowed to do. If the file explorer comes with the tablet, it may be given write privileges that other apps aren't given. That's why it's usually best to test with an app off the play store. If the file explorer you are mentioning is off the store, did it first ask you for permission to write on the external SD card? If so, it's probably using the new API Google introduced with Android 5.0 that allows developers to request access to removable SD cards a different way. The reason I haven't switched to this yet is it requires me to rewrite every piece of code in my app that deals with files (which could potentially introduce a lot of bugs), and their APi is much slower than direct file access, so it may have negative consequences in terms of performance, especially with things like library backups.

Mike
May be I am doing something wrong.

First: I tried to restore my backup file form my first device to the new device using the companion.
#Restore settings, #Default Location
I received the message that there was not enough memory on the bew device.

Second: I tried to restore my backup file form my first device to the new device using the companion.
#Restore settings, #Original Location
The connection was interrupted.

Third: I tried to set the storage to SD card before loading data.
It didn't work as written.

Fourth: I have installed the file manager as shown in the link and was able to give write permission to the SD card. But still I can't move the sorage to the SD card.

My aim is to have all the PDF and PNG files on the external SD card. That's all.
It works like that on my mobilephone and on my first tablet, but it doesn't work on the second one.
I don't know why.
When you tried to set the storage location to the SD card, did you tap the SD card icon on the dialog so that it picked the proper path? If so, what path did it use? The one you listed before didn't seem valid, which is why I asked.

Thanks,
Mike
Hello and thank you.

Yes I tapped on the SD-Card button, but nothing happend.
The message I showed was generated when I tried manually to change the location by using the Browse-button .

I don't know anything about API and so on.

I only want to move the mass data of PNG, PDF, MP3 and WAV to the SD Card, because I have only 8GB internal memory, but 30GB external available.

I think, there is no write access necessary on the SD card, because the original files should not be modified.
Using the explorer I can move them to SD card, but mobilesheets doesn't read them from there.
I don't know why, because mobilesheets can read files from the SD card for example for import.

On my first tablet everything is working well (POV 1325 Andriod 4.4)
The second one (POV I1345, Android 5.1.1) doesn't work.
I want both tablets only be used for mobilesheet.
"I think, there is no write access necessary on the SD card, because the original files should not be modified."
That's correct during "normal" usage of MSP.
When you try to restore a backup, write access for MSP is required. If that fails, MSP restores the files from the backup into the same directory as mobilesheets.db without informing you.
Everything works, but your files are not where you expect them.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(02-15-2017, 11:50 PM)itsme Wrote: .... When you try to restore a backup, write access for MSP is required. ...
I do have write access to the SD-Card using bluetooth from my desktop. So I think I could restore using the companion on the desktop?

(02-15-2017, 11:50 PM)itsme Wrote: ....If that fails, MSP restores the files from the backup into the same directory as mobilesheets.db without informing you. ...
Yes I know its currently like that, but does this make sence?
Is there any need to manage the mobilesheets.db in the same folder as the mass files?
The mobilesheets.db never gets really big, but the mass files (including audio) do.

I do not want to change all, but currently I can't use the second tablet because I only want that for mobilesheets (second pages). I play vibraphon. So I am always in minimum 1,5 meters distance to my sheets/tablets. I really need 13.3" inch tablets in protrait mode to see anything at all.

Schönen Abend...
@Vibraphon: ich sehe du sprichst deutsch, bleibe aber trotzdem bei Englisch, ist im Forum einfach so üblich. Frag einfch nach, falls etwas unklar ist.

It looks like it's an issue with the path name of the SD card. Android changed both the path name and how they allow / handle write access to it several times. Even worse: additionally it might be different depending on the manufacturer of your device, see e.g.
https://support.anquet.com/support/discu...5000042956
http://www.controlf.net/sd/
If anybody knows a better overview of paths used, please let me know!
I reported that a while ago: http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=2978
and it has not got better, just different. Caused by Android, not Mile's fault.
Restore to "Original File Locations" might fail because of not getting write access or because the path of the "Original File Location" cannot be created. This is often the case when you change the device or the OS, e.g. change the Android version or switch from Android to Win10. When the name of the SD card's root folder has changed the original path cannot be created and MSP stores into the MSP folder.

The good side of the way MSP handles it: you can restore a backup and your library will be just working fine.
The disadvantage: this is only the case if you accept that your files are moved wherever it is appropriate.
My advice: when you change device or OS, make sure that restore works correctly and check where your files really are.

You can use both internal memory and SD card with many combinations of paths if you set 
“Let MobileSheets Manage My Files” OFF
“Expose Database File” ON
and take care of synchronizing your song files and folders yourself. You can backup the song files and folders and mobilesheets.db yourself and use reloc.pl from Sciurius' MSPro-Tools https://github.com/sciurius/MSPro-Tools to adapt the song file paths before copying mobilesheets.db to a different device.
pro: maximum flexibility
con: it's absolutely essential that you know what you are doing
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

Try
/mnt/external_sd/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro/files
instead of
/mnt/external_sd/Musik
that's where MSP can get write access on the SD card.

The file explorer that came preinstalled with your device has different write access rights than apps installed from PlayStore.

(02-16-2017, 11:40 PM)itsme Wrote: Try
/mnt/external_sd/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro/files
Same problem:
"Please selecte a different directory that can be written to. ..."

I am not enough a computer expert to know how to deal with MSPro-Tools.
It sounds good, but I don't know how to use this tools

Will MobileSheets work on my device? What are the minimum requirements?
   If you have a device running Android 2.3 or greater, MobileSheets will work on it. It is highly recommended to get a tablet running at least 4.0 though. ...

Huh  I have 5.1.1 !
I can't find much information on that tablet. Can you link me to the manufacturers web page? I just want to be sure I'm looking at the right thing. Have you verified whether any other apps off the app store can write to the removable SD card? That's what we really need to know. I'm not so sure that apps are being given write access to the external SD card on that device.

When you tried to create /mnt/external_sd/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro/files, did you make sure that every folder was writable? Go ahead and use an external file browser to make them writable and then see if MobileSheetsPro is given access. If not, I'm not sure what can be done, besides me trying to switch all my code over to using that new file storage API (assuming that would even work).
(02-17-2017, 07:56 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I can't find much information on that tablet. Can you link me to the manufacturers web page?
http://www.pointofview-online.com/showro...uct_id=577

(02-17-2017, 07:56 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Have you verified whether any other apps off the app store can write to the removable SD card?  That's what we really need to know.
Which app should I take to test for and how to proceed?

(02-17-2017, 07:56 AM)Zuberman Wrote: When you tried to create /mnt/external_sd/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro/files, did you make sure that every folder was writable? Go ahead and use an external file browser to make them writable and then see if MobileSheetsPro is given access.  
I have installed the ES File Explorer. This app is showing the folder on the SD Card as to be "Beschreibbar Ja" = writeable yes!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Can ES File Explorer copy files to the removable SD card? If so, did it have to prompt you for anything first?
(02-18-2017, 02:02 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Can ES File Explorer copy files to the removable SD card? ...
Yes

(02-18-2017, 02:02 AM)Zuberman Wrote: .... If so, did it have to prompt you for anything first?
Yes.
The first time after installation of ES File Explorer I got the message (see attachement)

Translation:
"To enable write access on the external SD card select the root directory external_sd (/mnt/external_sd)"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)