• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[1.8.9] Smart Buttons not working after restore to other device
After creating smartbuttons to send out MIDI on device A, and transferring the library to device B, using backup/restore, the smart buttons do not work on device B.

No MIDI data is sent out on device B when pressing these buttons.

Adding a new smart button directly on device B, with exactly the same settings does function on device B however, and so are all the MIDI instructions in the MIDI tab of the song editor (that were also all created on device A)

Edit:
I just discovered that the locally created MIDI Smart Buttons, also stop working on device B, after ??? I do not know after what exactly. Maybe quitting MSPro . . . ?

I have not been able to test their functoning on device A (that is my master MSPro device, where I do all edits, but it currently has no MIDI device attached to it)
It sounds like maybe there is a MIDI problem on device B, and the MIDI smart buttons are just exposing that... Although if you create a new button and that works while the old button doesn't, then I'm probably wrong about that.

If you edit the MIDI smart buttons from the backup file, do the MIDI commands seem like they are set up correctly?

Thanks,
Mike
I did some more testing . . .

I have a page with restored Smart Buttons on device B. The Smart Buttons are configured to send MIDI, but are not working. When editing them, they look ok!

I then add a new button to that page on device B. It has the same setting as the other button that is not working.
The new button works en sends out MIDI ok.
If I leave the page and go to the library screen and then go back to the page, the new button still works, the restored one still does not.

After I quit MSPro  and then go back to the page, the new button no longer works (the old one does not work either)

During all this testing MSPro continues to send out MIDI correctly for all "send on load" MIDI commands that are configured in the MIDI tabs of the song editor. I use this all the time when loading scores on this device B and it never fails really.

I hope this helps narrowing things down a bit . . .
Thumbs Up 
I am still experiencing this issue with MSPro 1.9.0.

Although the original subject of the tread, stating the buttons did not work after restore to another device, seems to be not covering the whole, so I changed it here to be more accurate  . . .

Test scenario:
Create smart button on score to send out MIDI .
Test it, it works [Image: thumbsup.gif]
Quit and relaunch MSPro
Retest the same smart button. It no longer works [Image: thumbsdown.gif]
Add a new smart button to the score page, configured the same way as the first.
Test the new button. It works [Image: thumbsup.gif]
Test the first button. It still does not work [Image: thumbsdown.gif]
Quit and relaunch MSPro
Retest both smart buttons. Both no longer work [Image: thumbsdown.gif]
. . .

the settings of a button that stopped working still look ok. Confirming the settings by opening the button settings, not changing anything and clicking ok , does not get the button working again.

Maybe I am doing something wrong ? . . .
Is anybody else using this feature, and getting it to work ??

Thanks
Rudy
How are you going about quitting and relaunching MS Pro? I'm assuming you are just hitting the back button until the app exists, and then you relaunch it, right? What happens if you force kill the app (hit recent apps, swipe it off the list) then relaunch it? What happens if you close the app, then disconnect and reconnect the MIDI device cable which will prompt you to launch the app? What about if you load the app, then connect the MIDI cable after to initiate the connection? This will help me determine if the problem is isolated to the smart buttons, or if it's related to another MIDI issue that the buttons are exposing.

Thanks,
Mike
Quote:"How are you going about quitting and relaunching MS Pro? I'm assuming you are just hitting the back button until the app exists, and then you relaunch it, right?"

That is correct !

Quote:What happens if you force kill the app (hit recent apps, swipe it off the list) then relaunch it?
The same, the buttons do not work

Quote:What happens if you close the app, then disconnect and reconnect the MIDI device cable which will prompt you to launch the app?
The same, the buttons do not work

Quote:What about if you load the app, then connect the MIDI cable after to initiate the connection?
The same, the buttons do not work.

I also want to mention that allmost of the scores I use when testing, have a "send on load" midi instruction configured. And that allways works!

Thanks
Rudy
Okay, thanks Rudy. I really hope I can figure out how to reproduce these problems. The last time I ran through tests, everything worked for me, but I'm going to go through all the tests again using the information you provided.

Mike
Thanks Mike!

I forgot to mention yesterday, that I also tested this on an other tablet. Same problem!

I also use midi actions. Maybe that has an impact?
Also these midi actions never fail . . .
Rudy,

I was able to reproduce the problem pretty easily. I recently introduced this bug when I fixed some of the other MIDI bugs. I'll get a fix in place ASAP. Sorry it took so long to address it!

Thanks,
Mike
Great!

Thanks Mike!