• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi communication Genos vs. Mobilesheets
Hi, 

Yamaha introduced with the Genos a Sysex protocol for linking registrations (full path) with the PDF sheet in the score app. with a very simple "link request button". Is it possible to implement something simular in Mobilesheets?
I succeeded by "learning" Mobilesheets a sysexmessage sended by Genos with the selection of a registration from the playlist to call up the corresponding PDF. But this procedure is a little bit cumbersome and I was not able to do it the otherway around.

Regards,

Jos van Loendersloot
Hello,

I contacted Yamaha to try and get more information on how to load a registration on the Genos through MIDI, but have not gotten a response yet. I don't have a Genos myself, so unless someone can track down the information for what messages MobileSheets needs to send to load a registration on the Genos, it's going to be difficult for me to add additional features to make this easier.  If it's like some of the other Yamaha keyboards, it may be a patch message, or if the Genos is more complex, it may be a sysex message.

Mike
(01-10-2018, 03:10 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Hello,

I contacted Yamaha to try and get more information on how to load a registration on the Genos through MIDI, but have not gotten a response yet. I don't have a Genos myself, so unless someone can track down the information for what messages MobileSheets needs to send to load a registration on the Genos, it's going to be difficult for me to add additional features to make this easier.  If it's like some of the other Yamaha keyboards, it may be a patch message, or if the Genos is more complex, it may be a sysex message.

Mike

The communication is sysex. As far as I understand right now, the process works like this:

1. Select a registration on the Genos.
2. Select the corresponding PDF file in the musicsheetapp (Songbook+ in this case)
3. Press the button "link the pdf with registration"
4 A Sysex message (link request) is sent to Genos 
5. Genos responds with Sysex message including the filepath for the registration.
6 Message with filepath is linked with the SheetPDF in app.

When the next time the sheet is selected there will be a Sysexmessage send with the corresponding path for the registration and registration is selected on Genos.

This works also the other way around. 

I was able to "learn" Mobilesheets the Sysexmessage when I select a registration and save this with the corresponding PDF. I was not able yet to let it work the otherway around.

I can try to intercept the sysexmessages which are communicated in the coming days. I have to change something in my Genos midisetup to intercept this communication. 

I hope this can help you to develop some userfriendly functionality for linking and selecting registration and PDF files between Mobilesheets and Genos.

Regards,

Jos

p
If you can capture the sysex message for the link request as well as the response from the Genos, that would help a great deal.

Thanks,
Mike
A guy on another forum seems to have tried to capture the link request.

Below are his findings 

"
The new version of songbook+ sends this midi sysex command:

F0 43 73 01 52 25 00 00 01 F7

This means:

* F0 Exclusive Status
* 43 YAMAHA ID
* 73 Clavinova ID
* 01 Model ID (Clavinova common ID)
* 52 SubID
* 25 SubID
* 00 SubID
* 00 SubID
* 01 Data
* F7 End of Exclusive

The command "52 25" seems to be new and is not documented anywhere. Seems to be a new command set for registration control.
"

The full thread can be found here

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index....ic=40999.0

Link to Yamaha's download page for the Genos is below

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/mu...oduct-tabs

Midi specs are described in het Data List manual

I have had a look in the manual (which has been updated since the post mentioned higher up), but I also cannot find antything on this  "52 25" command. But I also must admit I am not used to working with MIDI commands so maybe I am missing it...

Rudy
Here is a short description of the linking and communication process between the app and Genos and the three corresponding messages.

The communication is sysex. As far as I understand right now, the process works like this:
1. Select a registration on the Genos.
2. Select the corresponding PDF file in the musicsheetapp (Songbook+ in this case)
3. Press the button "link the pdf with registration"
4 A Sysex message (link request) is sent to Genos

F0 43 73 01 52 26 03 01 00 F7

5. Genos responds with Sysex message including the filepath for the registration.

F0 43 73 01 52 26 03 02 00 00 55 53 42 3A 2F 4B 65 79 62 6F 61 72 64 73 6F 66 74 77 61 72 65 2F 41 6D 73 74 65 72 64 61 6D 20 4D 65 64 6C 65 79 54 35 2F 41 6D 73 74 65 72 64 61 6D 2E 53 39 31 37 2E 52 47 54 00 F7

In readable form:
F0 43 73 01 52 26 03 02 00 00 USB:/Keyboardsoftware/Amsterdam MedleyT5/Amsterdam.S917.RGT 00 F7

6 Message with filepath is linked with the SheetPDF in app.
When the next time the sheet is selected there will be a Sysexmessage send with the corresponding path for the registration and registration is selected on Genos.

F0 43 73 01 52 26 03 00 00 00 55 53 42 3A 2F 4B 65 79 62 6F 61 72 64 73 6F 66 74 77 61 72 65 2F 41 6D 73 74 65 72 64 61 6D 20 4D 65 64 6C 65 79 54 35 2F 41 6D 73 74 65 72 64 61 6D 2E 53 39 31 37 2E 52 47 54 00 F7

This message is also send by Genos when the registration is selected on the keyboard. The app reacts on this message by selecting the SheetPDF with the corresponding filepath attached.
I was able to get this to work both ways by attaching the last SYSEX message ot the corresponding SheetPDF. In this example AmsterdamMedley.PDF
As you can see the only difference between the responsemessage on the request and the SelectionSysexmessage is the 8th byte (00 instead of 02)
I hope this information helps you to think about a little bit more userfriendly implementation. If you want help in specifying this I am always willing to help.
Regards,

Jos
Thank you for gathering all that information. I should be able to use that to provide a similar feature to Songbook+ where you can link songs with a simple button press. To go along with this, I'm going to add an additional option under Settings->MIDI Device for Genos so that the link button isn't shown for non-supported devices.  Once I'm able to add this, would you be willing to help me test an early build so we can verify it all works?

Thanks,
Mike
(01-12-2018, 04:39 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Thank you for gathering all that information. I should be able to use that to provide a similar feature to Songbook+ where you can link songs with a simple button press. To go along with this, I'm going to add an additional option under Settings->MIDI Device for Genos so that the link button isn't shown for non-supported devices.  Once I'm able to add this, would you be willing to help me test an early build so we can verify it all works?

Thanks,
Mike

No problem. I have tested the above with the win10 version. But I have also the android version. So I can test both versions.

Regards,

Jos
Hello,

I was wondering if any progress has been made on this subject ?

Thanks

Rudy
Rudy,

Do you also need this functionality? I've been swamped with bug mostly bug fixes and a few minor enhancements so I haven't gotten around to this yet. It helps to know how many people are waiting on it though.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

Yes I am definitely waiting for this.

Thanks

Rudy
Are either of you around to test out an early build with the Genos link functionality? I don't really have a good way of testing it and it would be nice to know if it's functioning correctly before I release the update. Please contact me at mike@zubersoft.com if you have a little bit of time and can help me test.

Thanks,
Mike