• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woes with Cicida Foot Pedal
I appreciate the input. I have only been using the tablet when I play solo. Soon the cicada can be plugged in, then I'll try it in a group again.
I have the same problem, suddenly (didn't have the problem until recently). I can't get through a single page of music before the pedal falls sleep. Not good.

I am also using a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.
So.......nothing? No responses? Are we to assume that it'll fix itself and somehow work again? Sheesh.
There is absolutely no code in MobileSheets that deals with Bluetooth except handling key presses. I rely on the operating system to handle the bluetooth connection. I also keep a wake lock on while viewing scores, which should prevent the cpu from sleeping (which could break the connection). Other people have had success using the Bluetooth keep alive app (I'm not sure what that app is doing exactly other than by using a constant wake lock like I do). You can try turning off wifi if you have it on, as the wifi uses the same 2.4 ghz band as bluetooth apparently (from what I've read). I don't know what else I can do to address this problem, as I've never experienced it and don't see how it's a software issue (in MobileSheets) at this point. If anything, it may be related to certain devices/OS versions, or the hardware itself. I've read that many people went from 4.2 to 4.3 and the bluetooth issues went away. If anyone has more detailed information or ideas (from a coding perspective) on some way to fix this, I'm all ears.

Mike
Thanks for the response, Mike, I do appreciate your help. Clearly it's not your fault, but stuff not working is frustrating for some of us where this is more than a hobby and we need to rely on it. I wish there were better options out there for b/t page-turn hardware.
(11-28-2013, 03:33 AM)Psychotronic Wrote: Thanks for the response, Mike, I do appreciate your help. Clearly it's not your fault, but stuff not working is frustrating for some of us where this is more than a hobby and we need to rely on it. I wish there were better options out there for b/t page-turn hardware.

Here is another non-bluetooth option (but you will need an adapter to plug into the tablet's micro (?) usb port). http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/150910573555?lpid=82

It does go to sleep when the the tablet does. But, I don't think it has ever gone to sleep in the middle of a session.

I have been tremendously relieved since I reverted back to the footime foot pedal (as I have had the Cidada stop working in the middle of a song).
Pageflip was nice enough to send me a replacement Cicada unit, which worked perfectly -- for one gig. So, now I have 2 of them that don't work for me, and still no way of turning pages with my feet. I suspect it's an Android issue at this point, although I have no rational basis for that conclusion, other than a hunch.

At this point, I'm hesitant to buy ANY b/t page turner, but using up the only port on my tablet for a plug-in unit is not an option as I need to keep my tablet powered for the 3+ hour shows that I'm used to playing.
Yes, that is a problem. I guess your options are finding some way to use a wired USB and power connection through the same port. (There is a post somewhere on this).

Another option (not that I am looking to spend your money) get a new tablet with a USB connection (or multiple) and and separate input for charging. What type of tablet do you have? Prices seems to have been coming down a lot (and it seems even cheap ones have either a separate power and USB, multiple USB's ports/etc).

If you did this, maybe Cicida will make a deal with you for their new pedal, which (I believe) has a USB wired option.

just trying to give some options . . . .
FWIW, this does appear to be an Android problem, as a general search reveals a lot of Bluetooth device difficulties with the more recent versions. I've just updated to Kitkat 4.4.2 hoping they'd be fixed but I'm experiencing timeout problems. The connection is remade after a few seconds if the pedal is activated but of course that's hopeless for general use.

It's difficult to ascertain if the problem is Android disconnecting because of a stupidly low timeout setting or because the Bluetooth device isn't responding as expected to it's "getState" command and therefore breaks the connection. I have a full logcat text of what's happening if it's of any use to Mike.

FYI, I'm using my own Bluetooth foot pedal design rather than a commercial unit.
(12-31-2013, 07:24 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: Yes, that is a problem. I guess your options are finding some way to use a wired USB and power connection through the same port. (There is a post somewhere on this).

Another option (not that I am looking to spend your money) get a new tablet with a USB connection (or multiple) and and separate input for charging. What type of tablet do you have? Prices seems to have been coming down a lot (and it seems even cheap ones have either a separate power and USB, multiple USB's ports/etc).

If you did this, maybe Cicida will make a deal with you for their new pedal, which (I believe) has a USB wired option.

just trying to give some options . . . .

Thanks for that!

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and I love it -- but this is a problem. It wasn't cheap, and I just bought one for my wife, so a 3rd tablet is not in the budget right now. I don't think I'd give PageFlip any more of my money at this point, though. It's not that I think it's a bad product, but...
To anybody who accidentally taps the wrong pedal, or both at once, I have a SIMPLE solution: rotate the pedal 90 degrees so the PageBack pedal is behind the PageForward pedal. Now it's hard to press PageBack accidentally. I always copy pages in the score so I never need to go backwards.

On the Cicada pedal, however, be sure not to press any mode button with your foot -- you can put it into a mode where forward and back are interchanged(!).
I used to have problems with the Cicada cutting out on me multiple times per night also, until I installed an app called Bluetooth Keepalive ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...hKeepalive ). It fixed the problem for me, might be worth a try
Thanks. I am pretty used to the footime (billipro) at this point and see no real benefit of blutooth instead of a cable. (Althou the billipro is tricky in that I sometimes inadvertantly turn multiple pages at the same time, and I can't use Mobile Sheet unbounce function because I quickly get to the beginning or end of a song by intentionally holding down the pedal).

Maybe I will try that app with my Cicada at some point. I still have it somewhere.

(04-21-2014, 11:08 PM)jrkeyboard Wrote: I used to have problems with the Cicada cutting out on me multiple times per night also, until I installed an app called Bluetooth Keepalive ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...hKeepalive ). It fixed the problem for me, might be worth a try
As a side note to everyone, I've been revisiting how I currently perform the screen "keep-alive", which also keeps the cpu from sleeping. In the next version, I want to split this between two options:

1) Keep Screen On
2) Keep CPU On

The default for keeping the screen on will be while viewing songs. This won't use extra cpu though, as it will allow the cpu to sleep if needed, unlike the current version. The default for "Keep CPU On" will be "Never". I'm now going to use a different mechanism for keeping the screen on versus keeping the CPU on (as recommended by Google). For people with bluetooth pedal connection issues, they will want to keep the CPU on while viewing scores, or always. My hope is that this may inadvertently fix some of the bluetooth connection issues, as it's more similar to what the Bluetooth Keepalive app does (based on my understanding). Here's hoping... I'll be seeking out feedback when the update is released.

Mike