• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Information for beta testing library sync feature
I can confirm there is a problem with multiple songs with the same name…

Also one idea for versioning  for beta releases - Windows Store seems to accept 4 levels for versions ¨- it always shows it like this - 2.1.9.0 . Could it be possible to use the last digit for beta builds? it's hard to update beta versions on Windows 10 - it forces me to uninstall previous beta version (it sees it as 2.1.9.0) to be able to install latest one (also shown as 2.1.9.0)...

Tablet: Surface Pro 8, 
Other: Strich BT-FP2, USB-MIDI connection to Kurzweil Forte 7
BRX
Okay, I guess I'll add the option and we can see how it goes. As far as your last request, there are some things that have to happen during the merging, or it can cause major problems later on in the merging process. One of those is ensuring that for each song, the files they are using and the number of pages in the song (i.e. the page ordering) is identical on both devices. If I can't make that assumption, other merging activities would become incredibly difficult and error prone. So just copying the database (I assume you mean merging the databases and not just replacing the database on one device with the other) and then correcting file paths really isn't that different from what I'm currently doing. If you mean literally replacing the database on one device with the other, then going through and trying to figure out how to fix the file paths, that is very different than the current approach and require a unique mode with different processing (i.e. a fair amount of work). Also, how would you want it to handle files that are misisng on one of the devices? If you want it to synchronize those too, then it's not much different than the current synchronization feature.

Johan
I'll try to see if I can reproduce the issue, but it would be great to have a copy of your library for testing if possible. I still do want to deliver the separate database feature - I certainly have not forgotten about that. As far as synchronizing collections and setlists, that's already handled if you check the "Sync groups" option. If you turn off other options like synchronizing song metadata, annotations, etc, then you could accomplish synchronizing just the group types. If  you think that's too broad and I need to let users have control over what types of groups are synchronized, I can look into adding that, but it's going to cause the settings to have to be reworked somehow to show checkboxes for that many things (and to track it all in the code). I'll probably have to use a separate dialog kind of like the "Configure Fields" dialog in the song editor.

NeoCZ
You'd think I'd be able to use that last digit, but unfortunately, I can't. When I choose to create an app store build (which is what I'm using for both official builds and the beta), it only lets me enter numbers for the first three digits. If beta testers are okay with it, I can keep bumping the version, but you'll want to uninstall the beta then when the offiical release comes out, otherwise the store won't deliver you any updates.

Mike
As for the version number, why not use 2.1.10 2.1.11 (or 2.1.90, ...) and so on, and finally release it as 2.2.0 ? As long as you do not upload to the release channel it should not bother non-beta users?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I believe that will cause issues with versioning calculations between the companion app and the other two. I'll have to run some tests to verify this. I'm about to submit 2.2.0 to the Microsoft Store to fix other important bugs, but maybe I'll just jump to 2.3.0 for the library sync release.

Thanks,
Mike
I'd prefer it if the links stay the same and you just give a short notice in this thread if a new build is available.
OK, I'm back trying to install MSP beta on my W10 machine. 

And I can't or don't get it.

Since there is no certmanager.exe on my device I used the PS method with the helpful suggestions on the first page of this thread.

But after copying the bundle in the same location and starting the script there pops up a screen with the developer options which I apply.

But in the cmd window there is an error 

Führen Sie vor dem Installieren dieser App die folgenden Schritte aus:
        - Erwerben Sie eine Entwicklerlizenz
Fehler: Es konnte keine Entwicklerlizenz erworben werden. Weitere Informationen finden Sie unter http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=252740.

(Mike, I know you're learning German, but anyway just in case Windows demands buying a developer licencse)

So any ideas what I'm doing wrong and how I can get the beta installed on my W10 desktop?
I provided Certmgr.exe in the latest version of cert.zip. My recommendation would be to redownload that file, and then you can run the commands I listed in the first post. Then you should be able to just double-click the installer.

Mike
I missed that. Thanks. Now it worked without problems (installing certificate and MSP). Now let's see for the sync. :-)
Just a quick info before I go home.

I was pleasantly surprised that the Wifi-Sync also works with a partial LAN connection. My desktop is in a LAN and has no Wifi. But I connect my tablet with an access point to the LAN. And it is recognized as server by the W10 app and the client vice versa. Nice.

But first problem: I couldn't enter no path for the folder mappings in the W10 MSP. I can put in a Name, but not the field under that for the dir path. I want to set it to E:\dropbox\noten in my case.

I also started a sync between the devices. It's the same result as on Android. I'm getting messages for the merging with no actual differences (and the paths only from the server. I added screenshots but they probably won't help much.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you click the path field, does it not pop up the Microsoft file chooser so you can pick the folder? That's how it is supposed to work. 

I think you are seeing that issue because you are using a removable SD card for your storage location on Android 5.0+. I only have one device with an SD card that I can test with, but I'll see if I can reproduce what you are seeing using that.

Thanks,
Mike
Just want to report I was able to successfully sync two devices if there weren't any songs with same file name. After that I changed one MIDI setting in one song, hit synchronize and it was transfered to second device without any problem.

Tablet: Surface Pro 8, 
Other: Strich BT-FP2, USB-MIDI connection to Kurzweil Forte 7
That's great news. I'm still working on adding the dual progress bars and investigating some of the issues that have been reported.

Mike
@Mike: "As far as synchronizing collections and setlists, that's already handled if you check the "Sync groups" option."

I think I did not express myself correctly. What I meant was to limit the sync to songs that belong to a selected collection. But I already came to the conclusion that that would be pointless.

I consider synchronizing to be something that happens between devices that have more or less identical song collections[1]. For example, I make a backup on the master device and restore that on the slave device. After that, when I make changes to the master, I can sync them to the slave and/or vice/versa.

So the songs on both the master and slave will have the same properties and these can be used to identify songs that have non-unique names. For example, the properties name, collection, source and key are very likely to uniquely identify a particular song. But it would also be possible to generate an unique id (uuid) when creating a song, and use that id to find matches.

In addition, it would be nice if I could say: copy (not sync) the complete database from this device to the slave. This would be equivalent to (but much easier than) making a full backup on the master, copy it to shared storage, and restore from the shared storage on the client. When you assign master and slave a uuid you can verify that the client has a sync of the master, and therefore you can use song uuid for matching. You may even disallow synching with an unknown client.

[1] An exception may be the physical file paths but there's already a path mapping facility.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
If I add an option to only copy the database without performing any other synchronization options, that's easy enough (although I would have to provide strong warnings for users that may not understand this fully). Would you also want me to try to figure out if there are file differences between the two devices when doing that (either files that need to be transferred, deleted or updated)? If so, then I still have to run through the normal file sync processing first, but I would just copy the database instead of performing any merge calculations after that.

Mike
With "copy" I meant a complete copy, including all data files (sorry for the confusing use of 'database'). As said, the equivalent of backup/restore.

If someone knows how to handle the situation that arises when you blindly copy just the mobilesheets.db, I assume he will be able to perform this copy anyway.
Johan