• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important - SD card change in 2.3.7
In version 2.3.7 of MobileSheetsPro for Android, I made a change that disables the option for users to move MobileSheetsPro in their tablet settings to an SD card. There are several reasons for this including:
  • SD card access is typically slower than internal storage and I don't want the database stored on the SD card for this reason
  • The storage location in the application won't be updated to reflect the move so all of the existing songs in the library will fail to load. This only matters if the default storage location was used.
  • It's not safe to store the database on the SD card especially if the user plans on not always having the SD card in (and loads MobileSheetsPro without realizing this).
The proper way to store your library on an SD card is to set the storage location for MobileSheets under Settings->Storage->Set MobileSheets Storage Location. Either tap the SD card on the dialog that is displayed and use the OS assigned application folder (which will have the fastest read/write speeds), or pick your own folder on the SD card using the folder icon (which will have much slower write speeds).

Unfortunately, I had incorrectly assumed that making this change would only impact new installs of MobileSheetsPro and existing installations would be unmodified. That is not the case - existing users will find that if they moved MobileSheetsPro to an SD card in the talbet settings that it will be moved back to internal storage as part of the update. If there isn't enough free space in internal storage, the user will see an error code such as 963 while updating MobileSheetsPro (and the update will fail). In this case, the user must do the following:
  1. Back up their library under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library
  2. Clear their library under Settings->Other Settings->Clear Library
  3. Update MobileSheetsPro
  4. Set their storage location to the SD card
  5. Restore their library from that backup file (do not restore settings). 
That will eliminate the error. I'm sorry to any users who are impacted by this. I really needed to change that setting to prevent users from accidentally breaking their libraries.

Mike
Will this change be permanent, or will we be able to move our datafile back to SD card?

Am I correct in thinking this applies only to the database file and not to our storage location for  our charts (dfs, mp3s, jpgs, etc.)?

Sorry if I am a little bit confused about this.

Dan
It's a permanent change, but the only thing I'm disabling is the option to move the application to the SD card in the tablet settings. You can still move your song files (pdfs, audio files, etc) to the SD card inside MobileSheetsPro itself by just changing the storage location. The one thing I'm trying to prevent is the database and other important files from being stored on the SD card. I've had users lose their libraries due to faulty SD cards, and they had moved the app to the SD card, so they had no way to recover (they didn't make a library backup). I'm trying to prevent that scenario. If an SD card is faulty and you lose your PDFs, that's not nearly as detremental as losing the data in the database (which is your library in essence).

Mike
Thanks for the clarification, Mike.
I never thought about the possibility of an SD card going bad.
If it happened to me, I'd have been in the same boat; not good.

Dan
New user, so hope this question isn't stupid.
I need to scan my sheet music into my Mac computer. Can I use the SD card to move the scans to the MobileSheets app on my KindleFire 10?
Hello Beth,

You can certainly use the SD card for that. Add your files to the SD card (hopefully PDFs, but image files also work), move it over to your Kindle Fire 10, open MobileSheetsPro and select Import->Local File. Tap the storage icon at the top of the screen (three stacked rectangles), tap the SD card option in the list, find your file, tap it, then tap OK at the bottom of the screen. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike