• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show SetList Notes or a Label field in Setlist views.
For our church sets, we have a very consistent format, always in the same order with the same names for each part of the mass.  What potentially changes each week is the song.  Sometimes certain parts don't occur or have music.

When you are familiar with Catholic mass, you know exactly where you are in the set from the context of the mass.  So it's nice to see the part of the mass alongside the song.  For example:

Right now,I'm adding the part names to some of the songs to disambiguate, but in reality, how the song is used in mass isn't part of it's identity as a song.

I know Setlists have Setlist Notes, a note tied to the association of the song to the set list.  Perhaps an option could be added to show the setlist note (or even shorter label) next to the song order and name in set lists.

I considered doing something like putting the named part of the mass into a custom field on the song and including this in song caption.  But 
1) it's not really part of the song, it's how the song is used in a given set list
2) the captions are not rendered in the set list overlay that appears when viewing the music

For example something like this:

And it'd be nice for it to be the same on the overlay to the overlay to the music.

Adding an icon to show the notes for the songs in the setlist editor is certainly something I could look into adding. I'm not really sure how displaying the label to the left of the song title would be tied to the notes though, as those notes can be extremely long. It seems to me like what you are describing would be an entirely different kind of field, like a setlist label for a song, or something along those lines. That would require significantly more changes, and the setlist editor screen is already pretty cramped when it comes to the layout, especially on smaller devices. I don't really think there is room for a whole other column like that. I'm definitely open to ideas though.

Mike
That's exactly what I was thinking, a short label that you could opt to show on the screen if your device had the real estate.  I just started using MSP on my phone and it clearly would not work well there, but I've got an 11" tablet with plenty of room for it.  If it were limited to, say 15 characters, and then there was an option to show it and you limited it to be 20-30% of the width that would suit my needs. 

I could see having an option to just show the Setlist note in the same field with an ellipse if it got too long if you didn't want to change the data model.

I can make do without this, but it seems there could be a tiny bit more flexibility in how to show set-list specific notes/data in the library and music views.

An alternative would be to at least have a way of overlaying the setlist notes onto the current music page and, in library mode maybe having setlist nodes as an advanced field to show in the caption.  And possibly have th eoption to show the caption in the setlist overlay to the music view.