• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
send midi to several keyboards
i may have tried to send this post and messed up  , so here it is again

I am using MSP from my android tabelt and usb cable to my MAIN keyboard,, working great

now want to add a second keyboard (diff model keyboard) , can i use a midi cable from midi out to midi in on new keyboad and pass commands to both?

Is there something i have to do , to tell in the midi command which keyboard the command is for , or is it related to ports?

your help is appreciated and thanks
mike
You have a couple ways of handling that. If you use a single MIDI cable to go from the midi out to the midi in, then you could use channel to distinguish between which messages you want each keyboard to handle. You can assign channels to each MIDI command if you enable Settings->MIDI Settings->Enable multiple MIDI channels. You'll need to configure each keyboard to only process a particular channel (hopefully it will still forward messages if the channel doesn't match).

Another way of handling this, if you have multiple USB ports on your device, is going to be available in one of the next updates which will be released sometime in the next several weeks. It adds a new MIDI library that lets you pick individual input/ouput ports and for each MIDI command, you can pick which port you want to send/receive on. This approach also works well if you have a device like a mio10 that lets you setup routing for your MIDI messages.

Mike
Thanks, mike
and thinking short term,, another simple way woulld be to buy a second version of your sotware, put it on my cell phone and connect cell phone to second keyboard,, load same set list and just import midi commands (listening) of second keyboard to the cell phone,, ie  pick the song on the table for main keyboard and pick song on cell phone for keyboard two,, ,, i like simple,, but will try your approach as time allows
thanks again
You should know that you don't need to buy a second version (assuming you have an Android phone since that's the only phone platform MSP is available). You can install MSP on as many Android devices as you want from the first purchase in the playstore.
Does it matter that the version I bought was on a Kindle from Amazon store, second version would come from Google play store?
Purchases aren't shared across app stores, so if you wanted to use the Google Play version on one device and the Amazon App Store version on another, that would normally require separate purchases. Having said that, you can install the Amazon App store version on multiple devices just like the Google Play version. Just log in with the same account you used to make the initial purchase.

Mike
(02-07-2019, 04:27 AM)pcshme Wrote: i may have tried to send this post and messed up  , so here it is again

I am using MSP from my android tabelt and usb cable to my MAIN keyboard,, working great

now want to add a second keyboard (diff model keyboard) , can i use a midi cable from midi out to midi in on new keyboad and pass commands to both?

Is there something i have to do , to tell in the midi command which keyboard the command is for , or is it related to ports?

your help is appreciated and thanks
mike

I use my Motif xf connected with MSP with USB cable.
I have to choose on my motif if I use USB or MIDI port. If you are in the same situation, With your actual setup, I think,  you can't.  
If your second keyboard can't use USB, you could connect your MAIN keyboard to the tablet with a MIDI USB adapter, (set the MAIN keyboard to MIDI and not USB) and then the MIDI THRU port of the MAIN keyboard to MIDI IN of the second keyboard. Assign a different MIDI channel to each keyboard and set MSP to work with multiple channels.

Max. 
(02-07-2019, 12:43 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Another way of handling this, if you have multiple USB ports on your device, is going to be available in one of the next updates which will be released sometime in the next several weeks. It adds a new MIDI library that lets you pick individual input/ouput ports and for each MIDI command, you can pick which port you want to send/receive on. 

Hello Mike! This would be a very useful addition to the already great MSP. I can't wait for the release that includes that feature!