• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike - Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth Midi?
Just popped back in to ask if the above device will work with MSP on Android? It is a bluetooth MIDI in/out interface. Thing is I cannot sell the HP Tablet, so I am now looking at HAVING to sell the ipad pro....now if I can get BT midi to work from MSP, I can then use the IK iRig Pro Duo as only an audio interface and not midi too as this crashes something and nothign works haha!.
I don't currently support bluetooth midi. I have plans to add that, but I don't know how difficult it will be. There is an open source library to help with it which supports all the way back to 4.3, and Google now has support for it in their API but only for devices running 6.0 or higher. Unlike the USB method of connecting, Bluetooth MIDI (using Bluetooth LE) requires that the application scan for devices and the user has to pick what to connect to. For this reason, I'll probably have to provide a different way of utilizing Bluetooth MIDI, such as a standalone dialog.
Okay cool, thanks Mike - so it could be some time before implementation. Understand Smile Damn HP for dropping all support for Android tablets! It has pushed all resale values to almost nothing. I am not replete with spare cash (like all of us hahaha!) so losing near $500 from purchase a few months back to a resale value of less than $150 is really hard to take. Whereas the iPad I can still get very close to what I paid. Its really a case of financial reality.

I guess I could look at running the HP as the midi tablet, and running all audio from the Nexus 7 - albeit with NO synchronisation between the two.

cheers m8

Dennis
(04-24-2017, 04:59 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I don't currently support bluetooth midi. I have plans to add that, but I don't know how difficult it will be. There is an open source library to help with it which supports all the way back to 4.3, and Google now has support for it in their API but only for devices running 6.0 or higher.  Unlike the USB method of connecting, Bluetooth MIDI (using Bluetooth LE) requires that the application scan for devices and the user has to pick what to connect to. For this reason, I'll probably have to provide a different way of utilizing Bluetooth MIDI, such as a standalone dialog.

Have you seen this for software developers. Wireless android midi over Bluetooth may be simpler than you think.  I'm about to buy a Yamaha BTLE MIDI adapter. 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...tlepairing

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Execute your dreams."
I'm not really sure what you are trying to show me. You've attached a picture to show that MIDI input/output ports can be used with an adapter for MIDI over BLE. This is a hardware solution that has nothing to do with the software side of things. The application you've referenced is just a test application that utilizes Google's MIDI library to do MIDI over bluetooth. That application can't be used by other applications to achieve MIDI communication. All it does is show that a MIDI connection can be established with a device over bluetooth. 

I am already in the process of utilizing Google's MIDI library for MIDI over bluetooth, but it only works for Android 6.0 or higher. I'm also using an open source library to provide MIDI over BLE for devices between Android 4.4 and 6. I'm basically having to route MIDI processing through multiple different libraries depending upon the Android version and the type of connectivity the user wants. It's quite complex, but it's the only way I can achieve support across all of the different Android versions. I'm releasing an update this week (just waiting on Microsoft to approve the Windows 10 side before releasing Android), then I'm going to finish up all the MIDI changes for the next update.

Mike
(12-28-2018, 04:26 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I'm releasing an update this week (just waiting on Microsoft to approve the Windows 10 side before releasing Android), then I'm going to finish up all the MIDI changes for the next update.

=> 

Wow, have just discovered this exciting option! Is this this feature already out? Anyway, good luck with the development, looking forward to this!
The update has taken longer than expected as I've added some pretty significant changes in it including major fixes for memory leaks and stability in the Windows 10 version. All that is left now is testing and then it will all be released.

Mike
Exciting! Really can't wait... One question related to the android stability - I have a tablet that currently runs android 5 but is upgradable to android 6. Would you recommend the upgrade or will Bluetooth MIDI be running on android 5 as well? Thanks for letting me know, good luck with testing!
I actually added two different MIDI over bluetooth libraries. Once supports Android 4.3+, so that is the default. That library, like the current library for MIDI, automatically connects to any device it detects over bluetooth. By contrast, the Google MIDI library only supports Android 6.0+, but it allows you to pick and choose which devices to connect to. For most users, the automatic connection is probably just fine and they will have no need for the Google MIDI library. It's there as an option for users who want that capability (along with port based filtering for commands) or as an alternative just in case the default library doesn't work well on a specific device for some reason. The Google MIDI library is the only option for Chrome OS devices, for example, because Google doesn't allow MIDI connections over USB using the approach used by the default library. I also added a "Superpowered" MIDI library which offers the highest level of performance over USB, but restricts connections to class-compliant MIDI devices.

So you'll be fine using Android 5.0. If you want access to the Google MIDI library, you could consider updating, but I should mention that not every device on Android 6.0 can use Google's MIDI library. Support has to be included from the manufacturer of the device with the OS variant they release. My Nexus 10 uses a custom ROM, for example, and it can't access Google's MIDI library because the ROM doesn't have support for it.

Mike
Mike, thanks for such a thorough comment! Really appreciate your time... Judging how many reads has this thread, I guess I might not be the only impatiently waiting for this release. Fingers crossed!
Dear Mike,

I'm a new pro user of your fantastic software. I have bought both Android and Win10 MobileSheets apps.

Now I would like to buy Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth Wireless MIDI Interface.

Is i possible to use it by MobileSheets (both Win 10 and Android)?

Thanks.

Simone
It's possible it may work with either the Android version or Windows 10 version, as both support MIDI over bluetooth, but I have never tested the Yamaha MD-BT01 myself and I think users have had varying levels of success with it. So I can't guarantee anything I'm afraid.

Mike
Thanks for your reply. 
Do you have any other guarantee device for midi over bluetooth?
I do not. The only thing I've tested with MIDI over BLE is my KORG microKey air. If the device says it supports class-compliant MIDI over bluetooth, there is a greater chance that it will work. Also, just because I said I can't guarantee the Yamaha will work does not mean that it won't work for you. I've gotten emails from users that said it has worked great for them. I just can't guarantee anything unless you are using the same setup as another user that has had success (same device, same keyboard, same firmware versions on everything, etc).

Mike
I am still a bit riddling what you want to do with the Yamaha gadget w/r/to MSPro functionality?

I use the UD-BT01 (which is the USB companion device of the MD-BT01) in my wind controller setup:

EWI-USB => UD-BT01 <{( Raspberry Pi as BT receiver => synthesizer

The Yamaha sender(!) series is originally intended as cooperating with Apple devices only AFAIK, and at least for quite some time there was no connectivity to other devices. I was lucky to find a helpful hand in Australia who knows how to decipher the BT stack in order to get the Raspi going as receiver. It was, even for him, some reverse engineering. Therefore I assume that the Yamaha sender may give you trouble.

After getting the BT transmission working for wind controller playing about two years ago I lost interest and track of further developments, so it may well be that there has some new connectivity arisen.

Kind regards,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink